1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New yankee sign stealing info?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Legend, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Yes. Moral cowardice is a prerequisite for Ownership.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's just a coincidence. LOL!

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

~ we wouldn't want a letter acknowledging the pet teams were doing it when the narrative we want is that only Astros cheat.~

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Beltran - NYM 2006 WAR jumped from 2.9 to 8.2
    SFG, STL, NYY. TEX are where he went to school on cheating. He just fell apart and couldn't make use of the info.

Souza, Jr. - WAS, TBR, ARI, CHC, LAD

Bassitt - CHW, OAK, NYM

A mix of personal knowledge and insider belief.

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

He didn't wait till 2019. He was telling eveybody who'd listen to him as soon as he got the A's. No one cared - probably becasue everyone already knew that it was a league-wide issue, not just the Astros. Then in 2019 when Manfredo saw that it might ensnare his beloved Dodgers, Yankess and Red Sox he brought the hammer down on Houston. I don't get why you're defending Fiers here. The guy was a known shithead long before he bacame a rat. And he likes to sext teenage girls, another well-known fact.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’m not defending him at all. I’m genuinely questioning the motive of breaking the code amongst players, beyond simply being bitter about not being on the roster.

Also if he truly was writing a tell-all before it was finally published, it gives more credence to the Astros handling of the Osuna/Taubmann fiasco, and their brain-dead response to the media, as being the true inciting factor that led to the Athletic piece moving forward.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He got pissed because we torched him in a game during his career year. It was all about self preservation. "I don't suck, they just cheated"

Edit:

I just wanted to add that we were responsible for 24 of the 82 runs he gave up in 2019 and more than half of those 24 were in the first inning of 2 games. We tagged him for 9 runs in an one inning.

#648 rockbox, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    marks0223, BigM, cmoak1982 and 2 others like this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This isn’t real right?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

promoting fake news is always great

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

brand new network @mlbonfax

BigM likes this.
  12. msn

msn Member

I know this is a Yankee thread, but Cody Bellinger is a dick. He and the Yankees were made for each other.

King1 likes this.
  13. The Drake

The Drake Member

It wouldn't shock me to learn that Fiers traded the sign stealing info to the media in exchange for them not running with the underage stuff.

Though I did read somewhere (probably CF?) that he told management in Detroit about the sign stealing and they told him to keep quiet because they were doing something similar lol

14. msn

msn Member

Oooooo I want this link

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

One is only a felony, so yeah... why not make that deal?!!!

16. homewight

The piece came out when it did for the reason I mentioned already. If more digging and reporting had been done, a lot of teams would've been implicated and Manfredo couldn't allow that. The Taubmann event was a bit of a fiasco, but signing Osuna was a good baseball move. All the self-righteous hand-wringing bullshit was just that - bullshit. Why don't the Yankees get **** for Chapman? Why is Ozuna still with the Braves. Urias (Dodgers), Germain (Yankees) have been arrested after Ozuna and people are still harping on the Astros.

msn likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why is Luhnow still unemployed, despite having more success than any GM over the last 10 year (with his product still going to WS), with his minions still employed as GM's for other teams, and with Cora/Hinch/Beltran all employed again after serving their time?

The answer is this was more than just Fiers... more than just a cheating scandal... the Astros were a prime target due to the media market makeup and their over-arching success, while the match to light the flame was struck by Luhnow's reputation amongst the media and his peers, and their handling of the aftermath of the Osuna shenanigans.

You can sign DV abusers... you can say all the PR stuff you need to to justify it... but what you can't do is rub that signing in the face of a media member who was directly impacted by DV and was very vocal about her stance from the get-go. Then after that, you can't accuse another media member (also female) of getting the reporting wrong and trying to minimize the whole event.

Bregatron likes this.
  18. msn

msn Member

honestly... this bothers me so very much more than the trash can banging. Not that they acquired Osuna, but that Taubman did that, and moreso the way the Astros "handled" the thing afterward.

Radricky, cmlmel77, Bregatron and 2 others like this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. At the time, I thought it was a little “in the moment” revelry right after they just won a series in the most awesome of fashions… but everything about it ended up being toxic.

20. homewight

Yawn. If you really want to get into conspiracy's against the Astros, you neeed to go farther back than Luhnow. Selig ****ed the Astros for years.

DFWRocket likes this.