1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They have already announced Framber, but I'd love to see Javier. It allows additional recovery time and it would set Javier up to pitch the day before a day off for the bull pen several times.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I never tire of winning.

Uprising likes this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Just more wins :D

Uprising and charlieaustin like this.
  4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Altuve's last at bat last night was good to see. Patient and let the pitches come to him. Good walk. Hopefully that's a good sign he'll break out of his slump.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Framber is already pitching on 5 days rest. all the starters will be on 5+ days of rest the first 2 times through the rotation.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Siri really has made the most of the opportunities we have given him, but his outrageous K rate has always eliminated him as a potential every day difference maker.

It's an absolutely miniscule sample size, so not really gonna put too much stock in it, but his swing rate in the early going has plummeted from 58% to 36%. If he can even keep his K rate under 25%, it would be interesting to see how productive he could be. He's still only 26, so crazier things have happened.

With Meyers on the shelf, and the team really looking to rest guys, he's gonna get plenty of looks to prove he's made an adjustment.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

When meyers gets back Uncle Mike should basically be a platoon guy. If Siri is K’ing less than 25% of the time he should have the other end of that platoon. Also, that gives you an incredible weapon to hit close and late with guys on base, while strengthening the OF defense and providing more pop.
    If Brantley is hitting lefties better than he did last year (we will have a 2 or 3 month sample size) ignore this.

#167 Wulaw Horn, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not if Brantley keeps hitting .350+/.850+

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Added that of course- while you were typing. last year he had no thump and something like a sub 700 OPS against lefties. Siri or Chaz could do better you would think.
    Also- that situation last night just showed the power of having him up with guys in scoring position only needing a single. He’d be my first choice on the team under those parameters. If you could use that bullet when you wanted to it would be awesome.

#169 Wulaw Horn, Apr 13, 2022
    bobrek likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros CFs played a lot of RF as well last year. I'd guess they would drop to about 4th or 5th last season if only looking at WAR earned as a CF ...which is still great. I expect Astros see some regression at plate in Siri and McCormick, but overall I do not see CF as a weakness. Add Meyers and hopefully Leon to the mix, the Astros look to have OF covered for a while.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just looking at the OPS stats, I noticed the Big Three questions we had coming into the season are looking good.

Centerfield - Siri 1356; Breg's Health - 1143 and Shortstop - Pena 883 top the list.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Siri is a potential star, but feels like he'll make some poor decisions. Actually reminds me of Carlos Gomez, which is great if we get Milwaukee version (or even Texas version).

Chas is a 4th OF.

Will be interesting to see what they do when or if the OF is entirely healthy.

tellitlikeitis and Joe Joe like this.
  14. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Love how we have lots of different guys who can step up night in and night out. Let's flex on them tonight. 21-0

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

All sample sizes are way too small right now folks.

everyday eddie and Hank McDowell like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Baseball existed before April 2022. Sure no MiLB data for 2020 hurts some of the young players, but I wouldn't call the data small except Siri's and Pena's MLB only data.

17. Buck Turgidson

#177 Buck Turgidson, Apr 13, 2022
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This matches up closely to what I would expect offensively though I prefer stats that rate OBP a little more than Slugging. The good hitting CF teams mostly sucked at defense. The good defensive CF teams mostly sucked at hitting. I'd have St. Louis (edit relying mostly on stats here as I didn't watch much St. Louis last year), Pitts, and Baltimore ahead of Astros from last year.

#179 Joe Joe, Apr 13, 2022
  20. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Is there something wrong with Dusty? He moved Tucker up in the batting order.

RunninRaven likes this.