1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Stat chasing? I mean he was pretty bad at the beginning - but how could anyone consider him stat chasing? He is probably the most efficient guard of the draft and also probably the most efficient scoret total (if you take the difficulty of the shot in account). And other stats? I wish he was chasing rebounds more… his assist numbers are average at best.

I could see people hating on his efficiency and defense early on - and on his lack of rebounds and assists. But not stat chasing…

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Unofficially what I'm seeing right now. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place votes will matter when it comes down to total point calculations.

Scottie Barnes:
    1. Dan Devine
    2. Stephen A Smith
    3. Kendrick Perkins
    4. Jared Greenberg
    5. Doug Smith
    6. Zach Harper
    7. Mike Greenberg
    8. Bill Simmons
    9. Kevin O'Connor
    10. Chris Kirschner
    11. Howard Beck
    12. Chris Herring

Evan Mobley:
    1. Lisa Hsu (Not confirmed voter, but has voting history)
    2. Bill Reiter (Not confirmed voter, but has voting history)
    3. Kurt Helin
    4. Eric Nehm
    5. KC Johnson
    6. Chris Mannix

Cade Cunningham:
    1. Ryan Russillo
    2. Michael Pina

D-rock likes this.
  3. Rockets4Life13

Because this is about ranking young players and factoring in their future. How is it not hilarious?

4. MystikArkitect

If they awarded the MVP like they do the RotY then Shane Battier and Draymond Green have been robbed.

Media seems to fetishize scrappy glue guys.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  5. BonziWellsGOAT

We all love scrappy glue guys but they bend all these advanced metrics now to make their impact overblown. There is no way Herb Jones is a better player than Green for example and I like Herb but those stats take contextual stuff like responsibility, volume, types of shots, team dynamics, etc. out of the equation. The NBA stat nerd contingent always finds "their guys" based on obscure metrics and push them. I think alot of it is look at how smart we are we are the only ones who realize player X is as good as he is.

Reeko, cheke64 and MystikArkitect like this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm not saying I agree with it. I'm saying that is the narrative quickly being set in stone. Once it's set, it doesn't change much at all going forward.

7. i3artow i3aller

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Scottie Barnes is great no doubt and very deserving.

And Barnes is top 5 in most statistical categories (only 1 more than Mobley) but he leads ZERO of any categories.

Jalen may not even make 1st Team All Rooks but he leads in 1 category (most 3PM).

Cade leads in 1 category (highest PPG).

Herb Jones leads in 1 category (most steals).

Giddey leads in 1 category (most assists).

The only rook who leads more than 1 category is Mobley with THREE (most blocks, most rebounds, most double doubles).

https://www.nba.com/stats/leaders/?...22&SeasonType=Regular Season&StatCategory=BLK

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/nba-rookie-scoring-leaders-2022

#5309 D-rock, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Some of these categories are arbitrary though (like double double).

In addition, whilst Cade is technically leading rookies in PPG, he statistically has a minor 0.1 PPG lead over Green, at significantly worse efficiency. To put it in hard numbers, Green has scored 43 more points than Cade for the season, whilst taking 77 less FGA.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not arbitrary at all.

Each category is listed on nba.com, by season totals and per game.

I even gave you the links.

FYI - Franz Wagner leads all rooks in total points. By a considerable amount.

Just because you disagree with conclusion it does not invalidate the production data.

#5311 D-rock, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Double double is an incredibly arbitrary category, no matter how you want to spin it.

You are listing out categories that rookies lead in, like points per game, rebounds per game, blocks per game, and then suddenly "most games with at least 10 in two categories" is a category in and of itself?

Double double as a category that a rookie leads in is about as meaningful as "rookies that score 17 points, at over 54 TS%". Also, why didn't you bring up triple double for that matter? Or rookies with the most FTM? Those are equally valid as "categories" if you consider double double a category that Mobley leads in.

In addition, my point is that Cade leads all rookies in PPG by a mere 0.1 PPG, but at significantly worse efficiency. To point out that he leads all rookies in PPG is absolutely arbitrary information especially if you are trying to compare which rookies lead the most statistical categories. It's blatantly ignoring context, which matters the most.

#5312 flamingdts, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    TriumVirate, Easy and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is exactly what it is…it all feels so forced

they’ll be the type to tell u that Jokic is actually a better defender than Embiid or some sh*t because of *insert advanced stats plucked from their ass

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Herb Jones is a quality player but I'd like all of his cultists/fanbois to revisit this in 3 years when Jalen's 23 like Jones is right now.

"Can't believe Herb is defending players like this and he's a rookie!" Uh dude is 23 and is older than Zion, who was drafted 3 years ago.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Herb Jones has done nothing wrong. He plays good defense, and has had a great season. Fans of Herb Jones have done nothing wrong.

Granted, I don't give a flying Bill Simmons about popularity contests. I'm assuming the Bill Simmons treatment of Herb Jones by Rockets fans is connected to Bill Simmons treatment of Jalen Green.

I'm very happy the Rockets drafted Green. Unlike DaDakota and the media, I don't care how well Green played earlier in the season.

16. steddinotayto

? That post made no mention of Bill Simmons but sure. Just as an FYI, there's been more media people on Jones' jock the past few weeks than just Simmons.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Herb Jones is a good player, and I didn't see much mention from Rockets fans towards him or the people that like him in a negative light until very recently. Based on your post, I assume that I was correct in assuming that Simmons had Jones over Green.

I see nothing wrong with liking how Herb Jones played. I will continue to assume the hatred/negative comments towards Jones and those that like him are more based on things Simmons and people like him have said about Green than anything Jones has done.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think Green is the least stat chasing player I've seen in a while. Almost all of his shots are "good shots". He actually passes on so many shot attempt if he doesn't see a sure fire way to score. I think that's why his efficiency is through the roof in the second part of the season.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ok but it's an "all-rookie team" and not a "most production by # of days lived team."

I mean this same criticism could have been used against Tate last year or Scola in 2008, but it wasn't because the player's age doesn't matter for the all-rookie team.

20. steddinotayto

I wasn't even talking about all-rookie selections but I guess that's why even Jones was mentioned in this thread?