1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley "They're Paying John Wall to sit at Home"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

2. PatBev

PatBev Member

We should have him come off the bench until the all star break and buy him out. Say “hey if you actually help develop these kids we will cut you lose after half a season”

Teams would be probably more willing to trade for him if he shows he can set his ego aside, be a real leader, and help these kids win more games

Agent94 likes this.
  3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

“I think there’s a real market for John,” Stone said on Monday, per Kristie Rieken of The Associated Press. “I think we’ll find a deal that will work for him and for us, and if one doesn’t materialize, we’ll we’ll cross that bridge (of a possible buyout) if and when it occurs. But that that is not something he’s focused on, and is not something I’m focused on.”

I just dont belive they will trade him. He exerises his contract and they trade him somewhere?

Im curious how that contact would be structured, i mean it will what dip into houston cap for what 5 years? and then some team might take on a few years at what 1 + 1 option? I hear like Paying out 10 mil for 5 years?

Stone thinking is probably Miami, Clippers, and Possibly Washington.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Please."
    "Give us that top 5 pick and yes."
    "I can't."
    "Then no."
    "PLEASE."
    "NO, f***, no, g**damn."

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Unless he can get some playing time to prove he's still got it, I don't even see a buyout as reasonable. No one will trade for him even on an expiring unless we eat a large, lengthy contract on an overpaid player. And I don't think anyone would even pick him up after the AS break. He hasn't played in almost 2 years and he's got to be not only rusty but also completely out of NBA shape. I don't know if someone is able to get him in shape before the playoffs after sitting that long.

I think John is here to stay because he's not giving up a dime this late in his career.

Le$$ likes this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see why we would buy him out until after the trading deadline. Why wouldn't the Rockets keep their options open?

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Keep him in case we're needed as a trade partner(s) summer blockbuster. If that doesn't come to pass them pursue the buyout.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You mean pursue a buyout if we reach the end of the trading deadline next year. There is literally no incentive whatsoever to engage him in a buyout before the 2023 trade deadline which is roughly February 2023. One good thing Eric Gordon and John Wall's contract is doing for us is keeping us from overspending on marginal talents just to make league min roster spending. If we didn't have their contracts on the books, we would have to spend money elsewhere and frankly we aren't good enough for true stars to want to come here(yet) so we would be overpaying the mid tier 'decent but not great' players multi years just to make the minimum the league requires us to spend on the roster. Frankly we don't need to spend money on the Kemba Walker or Julius Randle types that will win you a few extra games making your lottery position worse but not making you good enough to be a true contender.

Unless there is a legit game changing player willing to come to Houston as a FA right now(very doubtful), Wall and Gordon's contracts are actually doing us a favor in the short term to maximize how bad we are until we have to start committing long term salary to our core. If we can't trade them for value, just sit on the contract until the last 3 or 4 months of it(when it no longer applies to salary cap restrictions for the year) and then do a buyout to let them enter the playoff buyout candidate market.