1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's true that ROY is tighter now than anytime all season while Mobley out with injury and Cavs limping into postseason.

But we'll see.

vator likes this.
  2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This is a unique year in that players drafted "not for their offense" are also placed on teams that do not need their offensive production to be successful. These are guys that can score 8 points and the team can still win comfortably because of their "intangibles".

Fair or not, it also means that they get credit for the team success, even if the team itself is going to be good with or without them.

I do think the narratives are going to be very different if Barnes or Mobley were drafted to bad teams instead. Under those circumstances, offensive production is no longer optional but a requirement, and voters will be much more harsh towards rookies that cannot produce offensively on bad teams.

Rockets4Life13 and Mathloom like this.
  3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Or maybe that was just a bone they gave to Barnes/Raptors and will give ROY to Cade. A Pistons player winning ROY would be nice for that franchise and spread the love some in the NBA which it could use post Warriors domination.

But yeah the media love for Barnes is hella strong

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I thought Jalen would end up with 15-16 points a game with moderate efficiency and 2-3 assists and some steals and rebounds. I was part of the Green gang, despite acknowledging that Mobley was a better 2 way player.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/in...ung-stars-based-future-potential?platform=amp

vator likes this.
  6. Rockets4Life13

Talking heads have become so obsessed with "impacting the game on multiple levels" that they would rank a modern day Michael Jordan behind Westbrook at this point. TriPplE dOuBBle

Ranking Cade at 6 and JG at 21 (especially while also looking at future potential) is just weird to me.

Cade is exactly who I thought he was. Very high floor, probably multiple all star but imho his ceiling is top 15 guy in the league, never top 5.

Also Tyler Herro over Green or even Fox is hilarious. They put way too much weight into being on a winning team (except for Cade, lmao)

BigMaloe, vator, Rocketeer and 3 others like this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

8. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah that's some pathetic assessment

BigMaloe, BigM, vator and 4 others like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the second tweet with Mobley's stats, Mobley having the better FG% is misleading. He's got the worse 2PT FG%, 3PT FG%, FT%, eFG%, and TS%. Mobley is better at rim, but other than statistical anomalies, Barnes is more accurate outside of 3 feet from the basket.

vator and saleem like this.
  10. finsraider

finsraider Member

The crazy thing about the Green hate is that if the league redrafted, he probably goes #1.

Why? Because the GMs don’t care whether you struggled at the beginning of your rookie year. They care whether you showed “it”…the ability to be a difference maker.

Just my opinion, but Green is a better scorer than Cade is an engine or Mobley is a 2 way big. It’s early, but he has the tangibles and intangibles to be a class above Booker or Beal.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Is there currently a lot of Green hate?

Not being ROY doesn’t mean hate I don’t think.

BigMaloe, Haymitch, Easy and 2 others like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

edit - wrong thread

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  13. Rockets4Life13

Yeah there is. Not on CF anymore but everywhere else you look. It feels like the narrative is set now on him.

Feels like Harden all over again

cmoak1982 and J Sizzle like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think if Green becomes an elite player, he won't be hated like Harden. Green has a more exciting playing style and a more likeable personality. In other words, he may or may not be as good as Harden's prime, but he is more marketable in the media. That's what most casual fans care about.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed. Green has the highest ceiling to be a top 5 lead you to a ring player.

Mobley could be a HOFer but he’s very, very, unlikely to become Duncan or Dream. Barnes is in the same boat. Both could be all star Robins but not Batman.

Cade has a higher chance to evolve into a top 5 guy then Barnes or Mobley but his ceiling still isn’t as high as Green.

Rockets made the right choice as many of us understood early on.

vator and conquistador#11 like this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That's a bold statement that is subjective. Cade Mobley and Barnes have all shown enough that it is debatable who gets re-drafted #1.

vator and Easy like this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Personally, I'm taking Green #1 in a re-draft. I saw everything I needed to see and more this year.

18. xaos

xaos Member

I agree with this. This rookie class is special. It's not MJ/Hakeem special, but it's special.

That being said, I'd pick Green still.

Before the draft I said the irony is that sometime in Green and Mobleys future, there's a strong chance Mobley will need a player like Green and Green will need a player like Mobley and I feel even stronger about that now.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is correct.

Green has already been labeled the stat-chasing player. Mobley and Cade have been labeled the "winning" players.

It's already set

Rockets4Life13 and vator like this.
  20. sogood.

sogood. Member

Bro.... Tyler Herro literally average more points, rebounds, assists, higher fg%, 3pt %, free throw %, all while playing for a much better team.

How is ranking him over Jalen hilarious?