1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does being attracted to people of a certain race make you a racist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 11, 2022.

?

Is being attracted to people of certain races over others racist?

1. Yes, you should not have a bias.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it's not something you can control.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Dunno maybe lol.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. I get girls to put out by telling them that they are racist if they don't want me.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I like girls of all races and colours (probably have a slight preference for Latin girls, please don't tell my wife).

But let's say someone says they only date "within their own race", or a girl says she doesn't feel attracted to Asian guys or she won't date black guys, or a guy says he is only attracted to Asian girls or whatever...

Is that racist or is it ok?

Please discuss.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As long as you call her a Latina instead of LatinX
    You are good in my book
    @Os Trigonum

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Is there a matrix of stereotypes of preferences?

Like...white guys like Asian girls...white women like black men...nobody likes Asian men...something like that?

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe it’s racist and OK? Or is racism, by definition, not OK?

I think excluding a large-category ethnic group (the ones you mentioned) from your dating pool because “you’re not attracted to them” is pretty strange — given the huge variety in physical forms comprised in such groups. Makes me think there might be something else going on, beyond pure aesthetic tastes.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the strictest terms yes. That said I’m for the tolerance and acceptance of consensual sexual preferences.

I mean gay people are in the strictest sense sexist since they are only attracted to their own gender.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Both?

You're attracted to who you are attracted to, but racism might play a factor in why you aren't attracted to certain races.

I tend to be more attracted to certain races, but also know personality makes people more or less attractive, so I don't think anybody should limit themselves.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It is only if you say "I'll NEVER date..." then yes, that is racist.

If you have a preference and are open to it then no.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Does that the last few women I’ve dated are women taller than me with blond or red hair and very pale make me a racist?

Or does it mean I’ve lived in Minnesota for too long?

jiggyfly and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I might've ruined women of other races for Asian guys. Sorry ninjas.

This is one of those things where personal choice matters more than what others tell or expect of you. Even when you date someone, you don't realize how racist they can be until much later. That's life.

So yeah, no one should judge or criticize that right even if there are ****ed up reasons. Sexual preferences change over time.

What is wrong imo is when you post about your preferences with racial thinking behind them on social media or in public as a matter of fact or influence.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I had an easier time pulling girls from my own race so I tend to be a lot pickier. I find girls of all races beautiful, but I tend to find mixed girls the most attractive. Half Asian, half black, half latin, half white, half whatever. I definitely have a thing for half Asian and yellow bone black girls. That being said my wife is a blonde white girl.

AroundTheWorld and ThatBoyNick like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I always found white women to be the least attractive, probably because I disgust myself and they remind me too much of me.

I'll take my anti-racist award now

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

no they are not.

biological issues are not sexist that’s preposterous.

if you don’t want to be with someone of a certain skin color because of your prejudice, like you think they are dirty or lesser humans than that is racist even if it’s not necessarily intentionally so.

Not being stimulated though is not necessarily caused by prejudice.

jiggyfly and Tomstro like this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So you're also a sexist if you're straight too?

How long do I have to stare at a wang to not be a sexist pig?

justtxyank and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

By definition showing favoritism of one group over another would be bias. Whether it’s by race or by sex.

Everyone has biases that affect how they date and as we’ve been discussing a lot lately those aren’t always mere biology. The preference for a sexual mate of any gender is shaped by cultural perceptions. For example many gay men prefer Asian males. A lot of which is due to cultural factors.

Thst doesn’t mean there is anything necessarily wrong with it as long as it is consensual.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Again yes, by definition favoritism towards one group is a bias.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

but attraction, for some, is more of a mental thing than physical. I could be attracted to asian girls because an awesome asian girl left me or attracted to black girls because I grew up around them and went through puberty with them. Who knows? I could be indifferent to latin girls because of my fierce attraction to middle eastern or arabic women that resulted from my time in the gulf war. Who knows?

clearly a case of just thinking of new ways to put that tag on someone. We cant control our sexual preference. Is a gay guy somehow anti woman?

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As we’ve been discussing there is. Genetic component to being heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual. How strong that is isn’t fully determined. It is certainly possible they environmental factors might also play a big role and it’s likely a lot of variation that attraction based on gender is genetic.

That said I think it is a much harder argument and I’m not aware of evidence that attraction within a gender is based primarily on biology. So while someone may be heterosexual I’m not sure there is a genetic or other biological factor that would favor preferring a race over another for sex.

In those case I think it is far more likely that cultural factors and personal history have to do with that.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nook and AroundTheWorld like this.