1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 5th pick in the draft, the Houston Rockets select....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 11, 2022.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2022.
  1. Jalen Duren

8.4%
  2. Johnny Davis

0.4%
  3. AJ Griffin

15.3%
  4. Bennedict Mathurin

5.6%
  5. Keegan Murray

34.5%
  6. Other - Name your player in your post

10.0%
  7. Shaedon Sharpe

25.7%
  1. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Don't like it? Don't tank...that's the point.

But yeah, you are right...it feels messed up that it's basically ~50/50 that you get the 5th pick as the worst record.

---------
    I'd go Sharpe if he declares.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

As of right now it would be Murray with the information available.

Hopefully Sharpe is impressive enough to supplant him as the draft process chugs along. If Sharpe really impresses he might push one of the now consensus 4 down.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I looked at consensus mock drafts and never saw him as a #5 overall pick....that's why he wasn't listed.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

His defense sucked, but he was playing HS ball. Whoever selects him will need to rely a lot on interviews and workouts, if his representatives even have him go through that process, because there isn't a lot out there.

Hopefully he is awesome, has a great mindset, and can play SF, because I would like to see Tate coming off the bench.

heypartner likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd guess one of the consensus Top 4 as of now slides down with either Murray or Sharpe being the likeliest one(s) to rise.

CriscoKidd likes this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

here’s a pretty good breakdown of Sharpe:

D-rock, matchesmalone and CriscoKidd like this.
  7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I saw that video a while back, but had forgotten about it. Also heard some podcasts saying some things contrary to the video.

A lot of what he said sounded nice, and I do like that he stated there was some projecting going on because there isn't a lot of tape on him, especially against good competition. The tape there is of him was also during all the COVID weirdness.

I'm stoked even to be at position 5. Hopefully Stone can strike gold again.

D-rock likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is math my man, math.......

You can't expect the same results but we are likely to have a top 4 pick, and no worse than 5.

DD

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How do we know what Sharp can be without seeing him play one game of college ball?? I don't trust him.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  10. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

no doubt that’s enough though

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

the sabotage... smh

for safety

D-rock, H. Christopher and J.R. like this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

agreed. a defensive big too pair with our dynamic scoring guards would be great fit. someone who can impact defensively and not require the ball to score.

13. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

It would be worth it only if you were trading into the top 2, to get Holmgren or, if he's taken, Smith, who fit this team's needs to a T.

D-rock and Y2JT like this.
  14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

pray that one of the "top 4" drop out of the top 4...

or suduko

D-rock likes this.
  15. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

I’d go Sharpe and hope he can play the 3 next to Green. He’s the highest upside of the remaining and if you are picking in the top 5 I think you gotta swing for the fences.

ipaman and Y2JT like this.
  16. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Don’t be fooled into thinking “the odds of that many teams etc etc…”

I was all in on tanking last year despite odds, and I strongly hope it lands in the top 3, but flipping a coin and saying it’s likely going to land on heads is just ignoring the math.

If a 52% free-throw shooter had one shot to win the game, you’re not sitting there saying it’s “likely” going in because of the extra 2%, lol.

MrButtocks likes this.
  17. 9baller

9baller Member

I'd go Sharpe, but it's very possible he isn't even available at 5. A team may take him at 3 or 4, and Banchero could slip to 5.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No but how often has the worst record picked 5th or before 4th? Seems that I don't ever recall that happening.

DD

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that's the problem at #5.

Sharpe is unproven
    griffin has an injury history
    Murray is older by lottery standards

there is a decline in talent after that.

I'm hoping through the combine and workouts Sharpe proves to be a worthy #5 pick and I hope he measures with the ability to play the 3. I'm hoping griffin's medicals prove there is nothing to worry about. however, not much can be done about Murray's age. he's nearly the age of most juniors although he's still a sophomore. but historically upperclassmen (similar age as Murray will be on draft night) taken in the lotto don't pan out.

I think at this point we'd have to take a leap of faith that griffin, who is more proven than Sharpe, can stay healthy. or that Sharpe can achieve his potential. those are the two best options at #5.

I'd explore attaching wood to the #5, and even the BRK pick, to trade up to #4 or higher... or even out of the draft completely for a talent upgrade like collins, Ingram, Anunoby, or similar.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I prefer to look at it in this way -- the Rockets have the 5th pick. It's possible they could move up, but they're 5th. People who look at the 5th as the unlikely worst outcome haven't looked at the odds.

My hunch is if Sharpe declares, some GM in the top 4 will fall in love with him. I may be wrong but I could see it happening. Rockets are in a good spot being no worse than 5.

I'm a huge AJ Griffin fan, but if he's going to dorop to 8 or 9, I'd love to trade up to get him.

Nelly, palmsnbananas, D-rock and 4 others like this.