1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 2: Welcome to The Jalen Green Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Feb 27, 2022.

1. xaos

xaos Member

Great answer!

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

cbass likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Man it really only took like a few months for a lot of posters to look silly in this thread. Thought it'd take at least 2 years...

Take some advice from the guy that thought Tyreke Evans would be better than Harden...just accept you can be wrong sometimes and move on.

#2043 JayGoogle, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

QFT. BUT they won’t accept it. Rather, they choose to double down on their bs hot takes.

#2044 Tfor3, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    JayGoogle likes this.
  5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I mean...I also thought Reke would be a special, special player. Kudos to the Kings for absolutely ruining his career, like they did to so many others.

fchowd0311 and JayGoogle like this.
  6. Mr. Space City

Imagine if the Rockets listened to the expert scouts here and took Suggs over Jalen :p

7. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

alethios, Verbal Christ and ElPigto like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Would you trade Green for Suggs and Ivey?

Suggs PG
    Ivey SG
    Jabari Smith SF
    Sengun PF
    Mark Williams C

9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I thought Nick Big Dick Johnson was gonna be legit because of his summer league slams lmao

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. vator

vator Contributing Member

11. MystikArkitect

I'll admit I had Suggs as #1 on my list. He could still pan out but Jalen looks generational.

Cade and Jalen both look stupid good.

Boii likes this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think he can still turn out to be a Marcus Smart type of player which isn't bad but definitely not worth a top 3-4 pick in any draft.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

you literally can say that about any NBA PG. A lot has to happen for him to even be Marcus Smart. There is nothing elite about his game and he's a poor shooter. If he doesn't develop a near jumpshot over 35 percent from the 3, he will be out of the league after his first contract.

steddinotayto likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

what he say in the article?

it's hard to say if Schmidt knows what he's talking about or not. He seems to like everyone, probably because he is trying to interview everyone at some point, so isn't critical.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3242282/202...e-for-last-as-rockets-wrap-up-2021-22-season/

HOUSTON — As Jalen Green’s last shot of his rookie season caressed the bottom of the net — a trademark lullaby dribble followed by a pull-up 3 with 51.5 seconds remaining — Toyota Center’s faithful erupted in a thunderous, unanimous roar.

It was the sort of celebration and emotional expression that typically shouldn’t have been coming from a team wrapping up a 20-62 campaign. About a quarter of patrons had already made their way for the exits, as the Rockets trailed the Atlanta Hawks by double digits. Sunday night was Houston’s seventh consecutive loss. If you want to extend the time span, it was their eighth loss in their past 10 games and 13th loss in their past 16 outings. In other words, the final two months of the season weren’t kind to this young, rebuilding franchise.

But on a night when two-thirds of the league shifted focus to their present circumstances — some preparing for first-round playoff opponents, others for the Play-In Tournament — those in Toyota Center were in awe of a young man who has consistently pushed his limit. On the final day of Houston’s regular season, there was no worry about the team’s record. There was no dismay over another big loss at home, or the other big losses during the year — or even missing out on the postseason. It was simply excitement, elation.

Green having a career night — 41 points in 40 minutes — on the final day of the season wasn’t just happenstance. It was a combination of hard work and poetic justice, mixed in with some foreshadowing. It says everything about just the kind of person he is — a young rookie becoming a playmaker right before our eyes — and what’s to come for his career and a Rockets franchise looking to return to glory one day.

“It says a lot about him as a person, him as a worker, him as a player, him and his potential,” head coach Stephen Silas said following Sunday’s 130-114 loss to the Hawks. “He cares a lot. He wants to be great. A lot of people want to be great, but I think he can be great. He does it, and sometimes, it looks easy.

“I think about all the questions I had to answer early in the season about his struggles. I spent a lot of time answering questions based on the belief that I had in him and never wavered when it came to it. To go from answering questions like that first handful of games of the season all the way up to borderline All-Star break — ‘Is he, can he, what’s wrong?’ — and then for him to put on a performance like tonight is really much about him and the work he puts in with John Lucas and the person that he is, a lot more than the player.”

“It meant a lot,” Green added. “Just to end the year strong, especially with the performance I put up against Toronto. I wanted to come back and put on a show.”

This certainly wasn’t the first time Green has had a big scoring night. He closed his rookie season scoring at least 30 points on six of seven tries. He’s the only rookie to have cleared the 40-point mark and leads all of his draft class in 30-point and 20-point games. But against the Hawks, his 41 just looked different. Green has been touted as an explosive scorer since before he ever stepped on an NBA floor, but his previous games just didn’t feel like this.

Of course the power and drive were there; those are two of Green’s redeeming qualities that will never go away. The rim-rattling dunks and emphatic lobs will put butts in the seats for years to come, but the polished game is what will take this team to another level. There was a certain maturity to his game, a certain depth of understanding that simply wasn’t there on opening night. He generated offense in a myriad of ways. Manipulating screens until finding an advantage. Crafty moves to finish over taller defenders. A confident pull-up when he sensed the slightest bit of uncertainty from the opponent. Drives with one hand and finishes with the other. Gear-shifting ability. It’s not all the way there yet — that will come with time — but man, it’s something, even as a 20-year-old.

“It’s a natural progression,” Silas said. “I’ve seen it time and time again. When I first came in the league, my rookie was Baron Davis. He didn’t even start, and his second year, he was really good. LeBron (James), (look at) the difference between his first and second year. Steph (Curry), the difference between his. Kemba (Walker), Luka (Dončić), the same thing. How the game slows down for those guys who are really good and special. But really, it is about who they are as people and the belief they have in themselves, the structure that’s put in place for them to succeed. I think we’ve done a pretty good job of putting that for all of our guys to improve. The group’s success will come.”

This offseason, the Rockets will place a lot of importance on players perfecting their craft. Silas didn’t want to go as far as saying players make the biggest jump from Year 1 to Year 2, but he stressed that there’s a wholesale approach to making these young guys better. From the time Green was drafted until now, it’s been a village approach to raising him. Lucas as the steady voice of reason. Silas as the instructor and patient helper. Assistant coaches like Will Weaver and Jeff Hornacek breaking down the X’s and O’s. Repetitive film work. And of course, his physical regime.

Prior to last week’s game in Brooklyn, Green was shown some season-long statistics indicating his attendance for pre- and postgame strengthening was 100 percent, best on the team. It’s an important aspect to his growth. The Rockets want to build that muscle and scar tissue, especially after a season when he had to endure injuries. Becoming stronger also will make him a better defender, given the league’s elite level of physicality and brute strength. So far, Green is responding positively to that, and his work ethic is carrying over to all aspects of team-building. That will assist him just as much as learning a new counter or read.

“It’s been great,” Green said of the all-around growth. “Coming in, it was hard. Just being in a different league, finding yourself and who you are. I think I did that here. Got a lot of great people around us that helped me build myself, build my character. The coaching staff and all the staff around us just helped out a lot.”

The benefit of having Houston’s offseason start a few weeks earlier than other teams’ is having the most amount of rest, recovery and work possible. Of course, Green will need to take time off to decompress and get his body back after a long and grueling season. Next season, there will be another top-five pick to pair with him, one who should push Houston further down the path to relevance one day. This season was about finding diamonds in the rough, and there’s a bright one from Fresno, Calif., with an eye for the basket, an ear for advice and a brain that continues to evolve.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Not a lot of rookie point guards can come into the league and become an above average defender playing 25+ minutes a night as a starter. He's definitely a poor shooter but he still got time to improve. I have no skin the game on Suggs turning the corner but if he can maintain the defense he brings to the table and improve on his offense he'll stay in the league, even if it's journeyman status.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Great end to the year! Undoubtedly a top 5 rookie IMO and that last stretch was arguably ROY level. I think he'll assuredly be the best scorer in the draft and one of, if not the best, overall player even depending on how the rest of his game comes along.

Next year I really want to see some added muscle (not too much) so that he is stronger on drives and getting to the line more. Also want more decisiveness and setting up his teammates a bit when overplayed. Good example is "the Toronto game" (lol) which showed the template as to how defenses will guard him as the focal point of the offense - face guarding and overplaying him. His 1st quarter was great, attacking the rim and setting up teammates when doubled (3 assists) but then he forced some jumpers and got away from that attack mentality. I think improving on those two things will allow him to more consistently beat aggressive defenses and will open up the 3s and jumpers for him more eventually.

But overall, met/exceeded my expectations for his rookie year. Hopefully it starts to translate to winning.

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

From Harden to Green in one quick offseason. Teams like the Knicks wallow around for decades in hopes of talent like that.

Time to end the tank. Cash in our pick this year, dump Wall, and sign Ayton to start next to Sengun. Start winning early, don’t build a losing culture around our young core.

everyday eddie and J Sizzle like this.
  20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Interesting. Wood for Ayton sign-and-trade? I'd be down.

BigggReddd and cmoak1982 like this.