1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official C-Wood as building block thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 20, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Banchero is in my top 5.

Not my preference but his talent is undeniable.

2. 45koolly

45koolly Member

I swear all I keep thinking about is that okafor comp w him...and Chets durability probability w the unicorn comps...that's why I'm hoping we can land jabari...worst case scenario high level 3&D at 6'10

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. hakeemthagreat

Me hurt myself?

Coming from the IDIOT who pushed for a James Harden for Ben Simmons trade. How'd Ben turn out in Brooklyn so far? Fool

4. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Okafor? Sure Paolo doesn't have Evan Mobley latteral quickness, but that's insulting.

Unless you're talking about Emeka and not Jahlil.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Don't stroke out.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have a hair to split here .... Yes, he's capable of playing good (perimeter) defense.

But if you ask him to defend the rim or defend on the post he's both unwilling and incapable.

This is why I've said I'd like to see him play as a wing rather than a big.

Having a 6'10 wing who can shoot 40%+ from 3 , can put the ball on the floor and drive while creating mismatches offensively and rebounds quite well .... and is able to defend 1-4 sounds like it could be a winning combination.

We already know what he can and can't do as a 4/5 .... can't hurt to try him as a 3 before you trade him or let him expire.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he'd be effective as a 3 at either end of the court. But as a 4, he can be fine - he just can't be the rim protector

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

How the Rockets have fared without Wood in the last 7 games of the season:

Traditional DataPPGFG%3PT%FT%Off RebDef RebAssistsTurnovers StealsBlocks
    Regular Season109.745.634.971.39.632.423.616.57.34.7
    Last 7 games117.346.235.472.911.331.424.114.76.75.3
    Advanced DataOff RatingDef RatingTS%eFG%OPP eFG%OPP REB%OPP points in the paint
    Regular Season108.1116.456.553.455.42953.2
    Last 7 games113.6120.857.454.356.328.256.9

In all honesty, the data doesn't look that much different aside a few uptick in improvements. The biggest concern, obviously, is the defense as the defensive rating over the last 7 games has been abysmal. I chalk that up to the Sengun/Tate/Mathews front court being undersized and being out muscled most nights. If we draft a prospect that's at least 6'8" and can defend I don't see why that defensive rating couldn't improve. One thing I did like seeing is the offensive rebounding numbers increasing the last 7 games. Perhaps it's because the bigs that are still playing for us are actually closer to the paint than coasting closer to the 3 point line.

D-rock likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Perhaps 7 games at the end of tanking season with some games vs other tanking teams is not a good sample .

full disclosure... I hate wood

ApacheWarrior and steddinotayto like this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We badly need defense on this team. I'm also tired of always being short.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  11. steddinotayto

Of for sure there are holes in the stats. I mean 2 out of the 7 games were against the Kings so it could be a bit inflated but the other games weren't throwaways as it had seeding implications for those other 5 games.

Our defense was really bad down the stretch but this was more of a tongue-in-cheek view of how Wood's presence or lack thereof really didn't mean much. If we had a defensive big in place of Tate or Mathews and played Big/Sengun/Tate this team probably would have done better defensively.

D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

by biggest complaint from the last 10 day stretch is that we never tried a tate-garuba-sengun frontcourt.

sure the offense woulda been putrid , but I would have liked to see the defensive effort . And who knows maybe Tate / garuba get hot . Tate has been coming on with his 3 ball a little bit

ApacheWarrior and steddinotayto like this.
  13. steddinotayto

Yea I was really confused as to why Silas kept putting Mathews in the starting lineup but I guess I shouldn't be surprised by anything in regards to his rotation anymore. Like, do you REALLY think a Green/Porter/Mathews lineup is going to be a heavy play for the forseeable future? Why not start Martin or Garuba or another player that hasn't gotten enough burn time yet? I'm still a Garry Bird fan but his place is rightfully as a solid role/bench player.

D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

i feel like Gary’s role the last 2 weeks has been to shoot us out of games

15. hakeemthagreat

Tell that to Ben Simmons, the player who D-Rock called everybody stupid for not wanting him here for Harden

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Ben Simmons accomplishes both tanking and positional flexibility.

Not to mention improves defense and length, a huge Rockets liability.

Just because you are unable to understand basketball or future projection is no reason for you to commit self harm.

I know Ben Simmons triggers you so increase your medication by tenfold.

Be well.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

But surprise surprise.

Rockets were worse defensively WITHOUT Wood.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

They were bad defensively Wood or no Wood, but it's a good use of a narrative if you wanted to run with it :). Get me some length and taller guys and someone that doesn't mind getting hit. Wood is so weak in the paint. Always seems to try to avoid contact with big cneters.

D-rock likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Could you run the numbers from when Theis was taken out of starting lineup.

Not sure season average should be included for anyone with those first 18...do the
    numbers change?

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. You matter much.

steddinotayto likes this.