1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I couldn't take it. I listened for about five minutes before I hit mute and went with Robert Ford and Sparky. Pence was ok. The chick in the booth drove me crazy.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Isn't the radio feed several seconds faster than TV. How do you sync those or did you just accept that the video would have a delay?

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The mlb app has rewind, pause and fast forward options.

Last night, when I synced it, apple would run their commercials a little longer and it would fall out of sync. Happened a few times last night.

marks0223 likes this.
  4. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

I'm guessing that broadcast was aimed at a different demographic than what most of us on a 2022 message board fall into.

5. charlieaustin

I use Streema and my go to affiliate station is KWHI in Brenham. You can pause to sync. Playing after pausing picks up from where it left off not back to live.

#145 charlieaustin, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

cautiously optimistic on Pena

often these rookies start out hot until a scouting report is developed on them (Tyler White lol)

#146 Commodore, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Squirtle and jim1961 like this.
  7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

And also against the Angels...

Commodore likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Nice! I did not know this existed, listening to the postgame show now. Do they blackout anything on any of the affiliates?

This will come in handy for national broadcasts, and I do like Ford and Sparks but just rarely listen to them.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agree. Cautiously optimistic is the way to go. Happy with what he's done so far but def gonna be keeping an eye on his walks and strikeouts. 5 K's in 4 games is on the higher end. He ran a 26% K-rate in AAA but if he keeps that same aggressive approach in the majors he'll get exposed.

Radricky and Marshall Bryant like this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He gets fooled by major league curveballs and sliders. I think it will get better once he sees it more often. It's a matter of just identifying them and that only comes with repetition. Just remember how bad Tucker and Bregman looked coming up. Pena is ahead of schedule and he has shown a lot of pop which we only saw a glimpse of last season.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For Pena, he's swinging too much, but pitchers are already throwing a lot of balls against him. I'd guess this is most likely a just a hot streak for Pena, and if anyone adapts to scouting reports based on this early spell, it's Pena.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

C439012C-34CA-4CFC-B55F-AC2021AC5F68.jpeg
    Credit to Apollohou

13. Nook

Nook Member

Tend to agree, but being a shortstop with a very good glove, his margin for error is on the long side.... look at Brandon Crawford for example. He doesn't strike out as much as Pena but he has a low OBP and seldom walks but is over a 3 WAR player over 150 games.

I said last year, the same thing I said about Jake Meyers two years ago.... something was different, these guys had greatly improved their wrists (especially Pena) and the ball was carrying.... they were hitting out balls that should have been medium depth fly balls.

Radricky, Joe Joe and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They were definitely cringe worthy.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Aside from his first 2 AB's where he looked awful and jumpy, his overall eye has looked pretty good to me so far. He has a pretty aggressive swing, so I think there's gonna be a fair bit of swing and miss, but he hasn't been swinging wildly.

The contact he has made has been pretty loud attacking fastballs early, so I think he's gonna start seeing a steady diet of early breaking stuff to see if he'll fish.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. charlieaustin

I've been able to listen all they way through the playoffs the last few years. Local high school football takes precedence in September/October. There is a list of the Astros affiliate stations you can search for if this one isn't working. None of the iheart stations will work. This works for Texans and Aggies too. Not Rockets.

#156 charlieaustin, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If Pena can perform somewhere between Adam Everett and Carlos Correa's rookie years over 500 PA then he will have a good rookie year and I will consider it a success.

I took the average of the 2 seasons, penalized Jeremy 1.5x K rate and adjusted AVG on BABIP and Ks.

That puts him at:

110-461 .240 AVG
    59R 69RBI
    24 doubles, 2 triples, 18 hr
    13 sb
    39bb 124k
    .298ob% .416slg .714 ops.

If he can do that and play league average or better defense then I call it a success.

That would really allow the team to forget about shortstop and focus on any other positional weaknesses that may be needed.

rockbox and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

.240 with 18HR probably means he’s a 2.5+ fwar player, I think we’d all take that.

I’m always comparing him to Willy Adames so my realistic hope/expectation is Adames’ first full season in 2019: .254/.317/.418, 26.2%k, 7.9%bb, 20 HR, 99 wRC+, good defense. Pena might walk less but add more baserunning value.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Hopefully he gets exposed after the championship window closes like Jason Lane.