1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Psaki Says "Gender Affirming Care" for Kids Is 'Best Practice'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

i believe the appropriate response is Fake News. Am I rite?

jiggyfly and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I have an 8 year old, we are close friends with a gay couple and he went to their wedding when he was 5. I really don't think many people believe LGBT people don't exist at this point. There are bigots who believe they are immoral, but you are not going to change that quickly. It will be more like civil rights where it takes a few generations to get better.
    My point is that for better or worse we have decided that schools should not be the driving moral influence in a child's life. Otherwise, its just as valid for school to teach that god hates gays. The overall culture is doing a pretty good job of changing attitudes. I think pushing it in school against many parents beliefs is driving a wedge that is making things worse.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I feel for you guys.

My daughter has been coming home from school talking about a sky wizard and doing some weird chant before we eat.

Talk about indoctrination.

I would be alarmed, but it turns out I am not a huge ****ing snowflake.

4. Rileydog

You mention the civil rights era. The notion that black people should be treated decently and as equals drove a wedge in society and some felt it made things worse. History has proven that those people were dead ass wrong. This is more of the same.

Generations later, some of those people still believe black people are not equals, we should not teach acceptance. Hell, some people still don’t want actual history taught.

Tolerance and education are twisted into “indoctrination” … because those people basically don’t view the minority group as valid, worthy or equals. And that’s putting it mildly.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Personally, I live by a live and let live mentality. If you are not harming anyone then I don't care. I admit I've never worked with a trans person or anything like that but my best friend is gay and grew up in a time when that was not acceptble. I've personally always had a feeling he was gay because when one kid would buy the nudey mags and share it with us my friend would never be interested and when we talked about women he would never chime in much but he's never been...outwardly gay, flicking the wrist, stuff like that. Coming out for him was a big deal because he knew he could be himself and what a relief that had to have been for him.

With trans people I see it as the same way. In the end, I don't see the harm in teaching kids pronouns and that some people might look like a 'he' and might actually be a 'she' and the way to respect those people is to simply refer to them as 'she' and move on with your life. I do agree that it has some issues with the language, especially as more and more people speak spanish and that is such a gendered language, but language does change over time. After all, thy doth not speak like this anymore.

I too worry about the slippery slope. If this were just about parents complaining about a random teacher, no issue...but now this is a government thing where we have states enacting laws on it. Now I care. Because now we have books being banned and now we have people outright calling gay people pedo's because they are gay.

So now teachers in these states, LGBTQ+ teachers, will feel like they are not welcomed. That to me makes this entire thing discriminatory. That a gay teacher can't talk about their life in the same way a straight teacher might...and basically that puts teachers in the closet. Between this and the whole CRT thing teachers have to be extra careful about what they say or else it could be their job and their livelihood and while some people think teachers should be automatons that just teach and move on...I really disagree. I bet if you asked anyone who their favorite teacher was k-12 it was with someone they connected with. Not someone that just taught the subject and moved the kids on to the next class.

But yeah I do think we are seeing the slippery slope in full effect now. This year it's you can't teach 'CRT' and 'Pronouns' and next year it'll be "No evolution" and "We must bring the pledge of allegiance back and teach kids about Christianity!"

My red flag on this whole thing is that so many of these people that lead these local groups homeschool or send their kids to private school...so why the **** are they so concerned about what public schools are doing?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. Rileydog

you know the answer. It is because those people view gays trans as sub human. Less than. Like they’re diseased. Keep my children away from them. Just like a lot of white people during the civil rights era.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't really worry too much about changing people's minds. The only thing I try to do is get them to accept their views. If you hate gay people, admit it. At least then they can either double down on their views or critique them in their head. I know it'll be a while for people to accept it but I also think it's important that kids know these people exist. While you are right that kids will find out eventually but where will they find out? Because the biggest reason people think gay people are immoral is because of religion.

While it might be true it is driving a wedge the wedge was hammered in by religious parents that seek to aim to indoctrinate their children into hating others because of what they do in their bedroom. So you are right when you first said we should teach children kindness and accepting other lifestyles, that's always what I agreed with...

But I do think people should look closer as to what some of these parents and conservative groups actually want. It's fair that they want to have their child living by their holy book, that's fine...but they want everyone else's child to be sworn to it as well. I really don't think this stops at that Florida bill...just like abortion didn't stop at 'reasonable' time, now states want to ban it outright and now you have a senator talking about contraception, we are slipping and sliding into something this country was never meant to be.

In the future I predict people will see these views as completely backwards. A lot of trans people can pass completely as their desired gender and that's getting easier and easier. Once it's possible for trans people to biologically have children with their children, artificial wombs and such, that line is going to be completely blurred and gender will be a lot more fluid than ever.

But that is another discussion but you are right. It's always easy or the people that aren't being discriminated to take things slowly and be patient, that's not easy for the people that are victims of it.

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

You make a good point and I agree with you. I absolutely will fight against discrimination and segregation. And the people against LBGT are on the wrong side of history.

However the pendulum has swung pretty far right. Abortions are illegal, books are being banned. The Christian nationalists are currently winning ground. So do you want to live in the world where the majority gets to pick what's taught in school? So my point of view is lets teach a middle ground and leave the "religion" at home. It's kind of like nation building in the middle east, it's not happening. You are creating enemies where you could have had allies. The slow roll might be a better strategy.

Anyway good debate, you guys might be changing my mind.

Nook and JayGoogle like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thread title is very misleading - if you listen to the clip she never mentions blockers or surgery.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

People need to stop being threatened by other people's choices and different ideas.

If your views are so fragile that you need to be in a bubble, then you should lock yourself underground and wait things out. It's just ridiculous the amount of hate, misinformation, fear, and stupidity all over people who mean no harm to anyone. Crazy.

Xopher, JayGoogle and Amiga like this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

After you watch the video, please let me know at what point she says the words "sex reassignment surgery" and "puberty blockers". I've watched twice and haven't seen or heard it

I did hear "medically necessary lifesaving", however.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Seems like the title was taken straight from Daily Caller, so that explains why it would be inaccurate. It doesn’t explain why someone would be dumb enough to title a thread with it unfortunately.

Rashmon, dobro1229, NewRoxFan and 2 others like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great post, Nook!

JayGoogle, Nook and Amiga like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

Title doesn't match what was said.... not very surprising. Conservatives going to greater links to just plain lie.

15. Buck Turgidson

Flock News

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

When you have to lie to try to win an argument, well, it says a lot. Instead of trying to make transgenderism and homosexuality these things e need to be afraid of, kids are better off understanding that they are normal and should accept it. That's how you end hate. This is what the right doesn't want to happen. They don't want their kids to realize that they are prejudice.

JayGoogle likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Teaching being gay is an acceptable lifestyle is not favoring one lifestyle over another. Teaching students to be accepting of *all* people isn't a "progressive" angle. Its called for both in the Bible and in the Declaration of Independence. Schools should all believe this as well. And teachers, as responsible members of our society (and professional representatives of the schools that employ them) should also teach their students to be accepting of all people. If your child had a speech impediment, would you not want your child's teacher to step in if your child was being bullied? Or would you prefer they let your child be bullied for fear that they were showing a "progressive angle" and being a "moral arbiter"?

And... expecting that children in school to be "mature enough" is unrealistic. They are by definition immature. Children will tease or bully anyone that is different. Especially if they have learned poor behavior elsewhere. Heck... many adults will excuse immature behavior ("kids will be kids").

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Teach children to be more accepting of all people is "driving a wedge" in our culture? If you truly believe that then your belief that overall culture is doing a good job changing attitudes is wrong. If anything, the fact that FL and more states are legislating hateful laws like the one being debated here shows that if anything, our culture is slipping backwards. If anything, the people you believe are bigots are legislating their beliefs to the harm of others.

Rashmon likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The kids look around and said what? Why are you so hysterical about that? Kids are extremely smart. They are very comfortable around new things. Older generation are not at all comfortable. It's a huge gap. There is much fear about gays and trans for some adults.

I'm so with you there about the disservice to kids. Parent pushing their fears onto kids and trying to control kids from seeing the world are restraining their growth. There are some stuff you want to protect younger kids from until they can understand it more. Seeing and knowing there are different type of people out there is not one of them. That will teach them to not see reality or worse, to discriminate against those that aren't like them or their parent.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, I would agree - but there is an age from which that is appropriate. And that age is not Kindergarten age or first and second grade in school.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.