1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I have two wall connectors installed now. Just renting a Model Y via Turo (only getting mine later, Y Performance probably in May, X Plaid in October). So nice to be able to just charge it at home. Once the solar installation is finished, it will be perfect. Clean energy and zero electricity bill.

I guess I just have to offset my flights then, like I did last year.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You should look into becoming a truck driver. Jeez. If I had to drive 300 miles a day for work, it'd be hauling stuff. LOL.
    Of course, I sat in traffic for 1.25-1.5 hours each way, so hell, maybe I shouldn't be laughing. :)

Sajan and Two Sandwiches like this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It sucks, but it's all highway, and hopefully temporary and there's a decent promotion at the end of it, sometimes in late August or early September.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  4. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I have a 2014 Model S that I'd love to replace (so that I can get the current features and dual motor). However, I'm also worried that the S design is starting to get a bit dated. I've put a deposit down on the F150 and like the look of the BMW so I might get that. I figure there will be a lot of great option in 2025, but I really don't feel like waiting. Ugh!

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

True--and often much cheaper, assuming you're charging at home and not paying for some fast-charge station. Also, I'm here in the PNW with electricity from the Bonneville Power Administration and hydro dams, which is likely cheaper than other places.

My cost per kilowatt hour is $0.0465 and I use a regular, slow 120V socket (which adds about 4 miles per hour), which means it can charge from 20% to 80% for under $4. It may take 30 hours, but it's cheap. With a 240V outlet, you get a faster charge--about 20 miles per hour for the same kilowatts. Here's a good tool where you just select your outlet and plug in your cost per kWh:

https://evcompare.io/cars/ford/ford-mustang-mach-e-er-rwd/charging/

Plus, you can program the car to charge only at night during lower cost off-peak hours if you want.

Then there is the maintenance cost: wiper fluid, cabin filters, tires, and brakes. That's it. And even the brakes are used less than ICE rigs because of the regenerative braking which uses the engine to slow the car instead of pressing brake pads.

Driving that distance though, you'd likely need to charge at least some while working or before heading home and it appears that regular rapid charging degrades battery life faster, though one recent study said that the difference was negligible. A decent rule of thumb is that fast charge stations will cost you about 8-10x the local rate for kWh, which probably puts you above $25. You can buy a pass from most providers that lowers the rate some, so it might make sense to do if you'll be hitting the same station over and over.

The average new ICE car in the US is $47k. Our Mach-E costs $52k but I got a $7,500 federal tax credit and a $2,500 state rebate check making the effective cost $42k. Factor in low maintenance, no gas (or gas taxes), and it was a no-brainer for retired/work-from-home us. We'll probably get another EV this year for both replacement of daughter's 2009 rig and the tax benefits.

jiggyfly and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Excellent post. Much appreciated.

Hopefully my drive is temporary. I'm sure in the future I'll have a bit of a drive, and how temporary that drive is, I do not know. I work from home 2 to 3 days a week which helps too. My work has chargers available as well. So I can definitely charge during the day.

I brought this up to my wife the other day. It makes sense for sure. I may look into it in the next year or so. Especially depending on how temporary my situation is. $50 to $60 a day. Every time I drive to work simply isn't worth it to me.

Thanks again for the info.

Anyone know what the best/ cheapest family hauler electric is? The Lightning is very appealing to me in that sense, and in the sense that I have a small bit of acreage.

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

taking a good hard look at that hyuandi ioniq 5...a lot to like about it, it seems. though i am reading there may be some battery issues, one vid i saw guy said he went to get into his car one morning and the car wouldn't unlock/start, he jumped the battery and everything was ok...but apparently its a big enough problem ioniq forums have threads about it.

though am reading dealerships tend to be playing the "mark up game" where when you go to finalize the purchase theres anywhere between 5-10k added on in misc. fees and ****.

that a common thing or am i just reading too much into it?

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Part 1 : you're generally going to be a beta tester for most of these companies since most of them are just now rolling out their product
    Part 2 : that's a common thing for all cars, ICE or otherwise - especially during these "challenging times". It's their way of making a buck off of you when there's a shortage of supply and hoping you need it bad. In normal times, you usually laugh at most of the fees and tell them to knock prices below MSRP or you'll go elsewhere. Now it's more of a question of how bad you want/need the car because there's going to be a markup one way or another on damn-near everything. Here's an example : https://www.thedrive.com/news/44268...oniq-5-from-no-markup-dealer-then-adds-markup

Out of curiosity, did you look at the Kia EV6? If you did, how did you decide between the two?

jiggyfly and ramotadab like this.
  9. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

appreciate the feedback..thats interesting. yeah i saw on hyundai sub reddit that some dealership in houston i believe marked up a car for 10k in fees. i was like jesus..

i have not. when i mean i'm looking at, i just mean youtube vids reviews. i'm not in dire need...but seeing as both tesla and even the ioniq have wait lists...just getting a gauge of whats out there. i will look into the kia EV6

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Rip Tesla

+

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, the markups are "normal", but I think inventory should be getting better by the middle to the end of the year and hopefully the price gouging should come down. What you're seeing is probably a bit more normal nowadays due to lower inventory.

But this....
    Look in the comments of that article I posted. They had Hyundais in some places listed for $120k and $150k with markups. LOL. I'm guessing that's for publicity, but I don't know how that's good publicity. Crazy. That was last year, though - this also references the issue : https://www.santacruzforums.com/threads/149k-santa-cruz-at-vandergriff-hyundai.7741/

12. PhiSlammaJamma

If your kid is a cereal killer, which thread do you "post" in?

13. Buck Turgidson

They got trucks yet?

Keep me posted.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

Imagine paying over MSRP for a Hyundai and KIA.

jiggyfly and ramotadab like this.
  15. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Does anyone have first hand experience with PHEV?

I'll be looking at getting a new vehicle within the next few months to replace my 2006 Mazda 3. It had served me well since getting it new, but my wife is hinting at me to get a new vehicle, especially since we'll try to have a kid soon. Most likely getting a compact SUV.

Performance is not big on my list of priorities. Efficiency, reliability, and longevity are more important to me. I'm hoping to spend around $30-$35k after any applicable tax credits. Additional budget is possible, but doesn't seem to be worth it considering performance is not important to me. The price rules out most BEV except the Niro EV, Bolt, and Leaf. None of those vehicles seem particularly enticing to me, especially living in Houston where driving to any other cities will require long stretches of highway driving that will push the range limit. Minimal maintenance requirement is very enticing with BEV though.

So I am drawn to getting a pure hybrid or a PHEV. The idea of a PHEV really appeals to me since it won't have any range issues while allowing me to commute on electricity most of the days. The RAV4 Prime seems like the most popular choice, but have high dealer markups and long wait time to get one. The 2023 KIA Niro PHEV seems very nice on paper. Hyundai dosn't sell the Tucson PHEV in Texas unfortunately.

My main concern is wondering if running the AC in a PHEV will trigger the vehicle to start running the engine rather than keeping the engine off while in electric range. If running the AC (which is 80% of the year here) triggers the engine, then the PHEV will be pretty pointless.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I have the RAV4 Prime PHEV. You can search my posts about it in this thread. While running EV mode, the gas engine will turn for heat if temps are below 18 F. Otherwise, the EV system is capable of handling AC and heating above 18 F. The engine will also turn on if you engage Defrost mode.

jchu14 likes this.
  17. hooroo

hooroo Member

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was looking for info about the new Lexus electric to be released in-full today when I came across this. It's not production, and I doubt it could be used as a serious work truck except maybe just around a small area, but still kinda cool. I'd love for this to be a thing where they do this with classic cars :

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!