1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros @ Angels

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 7, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He looked pretty awful in his first game, no real way to sugar coat that. He was clearly jumpy, and chased some breaking balls clearly wide of the strike zone against a pitcher with god level stuff who then had no trouble putting him away. His last AB was by far the best, took some tough pitches, worked a full count and nearly hit one out. His power is absolutely legit, but we'll see how he handles MLB breaking stuff.

Defensively, fielded everything cleanly but made some poor throws. Don't wanna make excuses, but pretty much all his f**k ups can be chalked up as nervy f**k ups.

2. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree - he looked like a nervous wreck at the plate his first two appearances. Defensively, he looks fast, smooth and decisive. He's gonna be fun to watch pick it, you can just tell. At the plate, his last at bat was encouraging. Really hard to judge him on the first two at bats when it seemed like he was on drugs he was so anxious.

cmoak1982 and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How was Pressley's slider?

DD

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Anyone see the Padres DBacks game last night. I didn't see it, but Padres pitchers held the DBacks scoreless on 3 hits until the bottom of the ninth with a two run lead, the play log then reads...
    Walk
    Walk
    Wild Pitch
    HBP
    Wild Pitch (run scored)
    HR (Seth Beer)

That's the Josh James Special...except it is Opening Day in the 9th which should have been a full strength pen. That has to be a sour Opening Day for Padres fans while DBacks fans get to call their team the cardiac kids for a while.

#424 Joe Joe, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Buck Turgidson

On National Beer Day, no less.

7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Can somebody call his the Corey Brewer version of baseball based on one game so he can have a Jalen green type.ascend.

8. Buck Turgidson

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I thought of all those failed 1B prospects in the post Berkman-era when I saw that homer, and thought of course it would be the one we traded away.

I then try to remind myself he's 6 games into his career and at that point Tyler White also looked like prime Albert Pujols at the plate.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

He was pretty consistent last night. Maybe two questionable calls.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

His arm is just fine. Nobody has a rocket like Correa. Maybe nobody ever.

Pena's transfer speed from glove to hand seemed terrific though. I know he had an error yesterday, but I'm actually pretty encouraged. If the kid can find his swing, he's the real deal.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. STR8Thugg

The bigger question is how the **** do I record this?

Houstunna likes this.
  13. STR8Thugg

So Ed Hickcocks let the Angels score their run. Alvarez only responsible for .15 runs. Nice.

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

That's what I was afraid of. I will definitely try not to compare him too much, especially being a rookie but I am going to miss that arm more than anything I fear. So valuable to keep runners off the bases as well as being a cutoff man on pretty much everything to the outfield. Not to mention what a momentum/morale killer a double play or out at home can be.

Houstunna likes this.
  15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Created my AppleTV username in preparation for tonight. You're already off to a bad start Apple...

20220408_134040.jpg

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Lets see how pena looks in june or july.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean it was a freaking disaster. He committed an error. His first three AB's were completely overmatched with two bad K's and a nubber back to the mound. He had one loud-ish foul ball in the 8th before hitting a soft liner to the CF (not a bad AB) and he showed in turning two double plays that he has nowhere near the timing nor arm as Correa. Both were hard hit balls that ended up perilously close to having the batter beat it out.
    He made a nice play on a bouncer over the pitcher to nip Ohtani at the wire at 1b.
    It's game 1 of 162. I'm not writing him off. But hit was a really bad game.
    I always said the hope should be that he can put up 2 WAR and be a legitimate starting SS. That is a really successful rookie season for a guy that's not a super blue chip. But the people thinking he was going to replace Correa or be 85% of him or something are probably settling in for a bit of a rude awakening.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I guess Altuve is washed up based on last night...

Not going to judge ANYONE on one game.

Tomstro and Joe Joe like this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean- I said that it was 1 game and I'm not writing him off. There was nothing incorrect about anything I wrote, which was in response to someone asking how he looked last night.
    If I set the over under at 2 on WAR (considered an MLB average regular) which way are you betting? Being an MLB quality regular as a rookie is really really good. He's replacing a guy who had something like 7 WAR last year and was top 10 (top 5?) in the MVP balloting. We would be insane to expect there not to be a pretty significant drop off. It is what it is. This team should still win the division easily. I think we are going to be really really good. But we got worse there. Maybe we get a lot better at 3b to make up the difference.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This is what everyone should be thinking.

cmoak1982 likes this.