1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is KPJ consciously envious of Green's 30-point streak?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Apr 5, 2022.

1. lionaire

lionaire Member

"He wasn't passing to Green"

'"there was no intent to pass in this one"

"those weren't the right passes"

"okay he did pass a few times but according to my calculations" man stfu :D:D

Sonicbun8 and jiggyfly like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

This makes zero sense, how can a moment can't last an entire game?

Can you give an example of when this has happened?

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Because they were open and it's part of the offense?

Because they don't have to shoot the 3 and can put pressure on the offense?

Because they are 2 of the best playmakers on the team?

It's amazing how people are nitpicking KPJ's game.

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

Lol this video is sad. Half of these aren't even potential assists. So technically every time he had the ball and passed it is a potential assist according to this video. That's just ridiculous. Especially the ones when guys weren't even in a position to get a shot up.

A weird and ineffective way to attempt to prove a point.

Overall KPJ had a good game scoring the ball. Damn good game, all things considered, but this video doesn't prove he was creating scoring opportunities for his teammates.

For the record, I don't consider feeding the post a potential assist or a pass to a guy that is already covered at the 3 point line and has to put the ball on the floor. I didn't count, but I'm thinking out of the 14, there is maybe 9 potential assists here at best. Is that good for a whole game? Just asking. Doesn't sound like it is.

#64 vator, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    BHannes2BHonest and DreamShook like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

When people say KPJ is not a PG why is it so triggering to you guys?? Why cant KPJ be a SF, a Crowder with guard skills? It's weird. Saying KPJ is not a PG is not automatically saying he is trash and has no talent.

let somebody else make the decisions. let KPJ thrive without the weight of the whole squad on his back.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Some see it as "KPJ is not a PG therefore KPJ can't be in the starting lineup or that he sucks".

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah, I dont understand it. Plus, I dont understand why you would want someone as mercurial as KPJ to be your decision maker in the first place. Knowing where everyone is and should be, trying to think several steps in the future, figuring out when you should shoot or pass, getting everyone involved is probably stressful to someone who already struggles with his mental health.

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

OP's posts weren't even about whether or not KPJ is a PG so idk what yall on about

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Going over the thread, only a a few handful even buy into the thread title's premise. Hardly anyone agrees with it.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

KPJ did have too many dribble up ISO’s in the first half. He does play up to competition in big games like NY (which can be a great thing) My ask was to run plays or run the offense and get his and others in the natural flow —

However he did that much better in the second half.

Also, KPJ is still young and learning the position under a coach who, to me, is incompetent.

All of which has an impact and therefore a lot of us are right in our takes on this particular thread.

The real question is: will there be a conscious good faith attempt for him to be the PG next year? Should he be afforded another year of development? I don’t think he should be our PG tbh …. I believe his future role in the league will be running a second unit as the primary ball handler and scorer.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

^. This: there's passing and then there's making right reads & setting guys up properly.

1) Scoring - On offense, KPJ was good at attacking the Net's switch defense. Last night, he bought the stuff ...at least 1/2 of the combo in a combo guard was fulfilled. The other half i'm not so sure. I don't have issues with the whole 0 assists in 1st half. If based on his read against Net's switch defense, scoring was optimal, then go ahead and be that lead shot taker (26 shots)

2) Passing - Is he setting the other guys correctly, are there room for improvements. If Green and another guy is open, the "point guard" half of the combo guard should know who to pass to.

Some of the twitter space people was saying 'well look at KPJ's "potential assist", it's not KPJ's fault if other guys can't make shots' . That's true, when he passed them the ball, was it situationally the good move. Should he have passed when that person (a bad 3pt person) was open at the three point line, or should waited for something else; like a cut...etc.

A pass to a guy for a shot, is not the same as a pass to a guy in his spot for that shot. Especially role players who are limited offensively. A good point-guard/wing/center help maximize his teammates. It's more than just 'pass to the open guy'.​

3) People like to bash on the nomenclature for pure pg and how dinosaur it is. I think instead of getting wrapped around semantics, the people questioning aren't saying we don't want COMBO guards, we're asking about the quality of the COMBO. It's not a "good" combo, if one half is meh and not fulfilled.

4) On defense.
    Tate (and KJ) had KD.
    KPJ and Green had Kyrie and Patty. If we're matching the 1's and 2's, Kyrie was KPJ's man. BUT Kyrie did drop 42 pts on us. Yes it's Kyrie Irving, but KPJ wasn't able to lock him down or contain him. The effort was there, but at times he played too tight , then get blown by. When Kyrie goes to the hole, Al-p looks bad because he couldn't erase KPJ's missed assignment. Also on switches, if Al-p was bbq chicken, then KPJ shouldn't allow the switch, do the work and fight over the screen. You don't leave your big on the island. He was your man. You make guys like Kyrie and KD pass, and let Net's others try to beat you.

5) Position - wings / height argument. - Some of KPJ fans (not here, but twitter space) talks about 'at 6'4" he won't have a height advantage against other SF. But as a backcourt he does'. Not last night, the height / muscle, didn't contain Net's short 6'2" guard. Kyrie cooked regardless.

Look it's one game, and KPJ didn't play terrible, so I feel a little bad for listing the counter points. But some of the over-praise needs to come down to the earth.

#71 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  12. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

we really just need to get on the same page with the definition of "point guard", because two people could agree on every detail yet still be talking right past each other based on different interpretations of those two words.

Plowman likes this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Kpj lacks the point guard vision and creative play making abilities to set his teammates to good open shots.

Like it's not even me hating on kpj. It's just how I see it. There's literally no pnr, no alley oops. It's just kpj passing the ball to an open man to take a 3 pointer or feeding sengun at the post. Or him playing iso to take a contested shot

This is literally the same offense ran by harden that we had folks btching about. And to make it worse not as well ran.

If the goal is to have another player pretending to b harden then sure. But this isn't the teamball bs folks have been clamoring for all these years when harden was the pg.

No one questions kpj offensive abilities, it's his play making that's lacking.

Little Bit and Nelly like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No, I don't think it's conscious and I think it's rare.

They are really close, it's not fake imo.

15. PatBev

PatBev Member

Tate, Mathews, Christopher were 5-28

Maybe at halftime he thought “I’m suppose to be a leader. If we don’t put the ball in the hole then we are gonna get blown out. Nobody on this team can shoot besides Jalen” and then proceed to put the ball in the hole like a god damn leader. Him & Jalen went and got theirs

Is KPJ suppose to shoot the ball only 10 times, as a top 3 player on this team, and let Jalen have 40 attempts?

He efficiently tried to lead his team back into the game cause 3/5 starters can’t shoot & y’all’s golden child Christopher is a certified bench player

randerson likes this.
  16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yes ! He is! the point guard has been freezing Green out of his passes and the point guard id shooting
    to score for himself, especially in the last game! Y

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I can't tell if this video is supposed to be evidence of good or bad playmaking, because if someone was to make a compilation of bad playmaking from KPJ, it would look like this video.

First two clips are of Sengun taking 3s early in the shot clock, that's the best shot available?

18. vator

vator Contributing Member

One thing I don’t really care for is the attempt to put them against one another. I think they genuinely care for each other and root for one another to do well. At the moment, there is a big bro and little bro dynamic between them that’s cool for now. We’ll see how that develops though as they ascend.

lionaire likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hen
    He is ranked the fourth best guard at one on one defense in the league. I’m not sure he is a great fit with Jalen but his defense is really solid at worst and close to elite.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

It does not even matter because KPJ is not a point guard and passing is not his strongest suit. It shows in his assist record which is inconsistent.