1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2022 Nets pick thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

ORLANDO WINS!

sirjesse, jacoby, saleem and 6 others like this.
  2. my time to shine

That’s a wrap

no more lottery pick freaks unless they get upset twice on their home floor in the play in

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

You know Cleveland’s losing both of those and nets will jump them

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Atlanta and Charlotte losses really hurt. Bah.

saleem, BigMaloe, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If there's anything that the last 30 years of NBA fandom have taught me, it's that you can't trust either of those poverty franchises to ever come through when you need them.

Nook, palmsnbananas, saleem and 10 others like this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m not going to stress at this point. The Nets’ pick is going to be way better than we expected no matter what.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was saying that about the Knicks and the Wizards a few weeks ago when they had a chance to give the Nets trouble going into the playoffs, but they decided to quit early. I can't trust anything anymore.

i3artow i3aller and ElPigto like this.
  9. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Looks like we will be getting the #17 pick, smh

10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

How does the lottery work? Is it just based on regular season finish, or if the Nets get the 10 and then coast to the conference finals they wouldn't be in the lottery?

11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

If they win the play in games and go on to playoffs as 7/8, then they won’t be in the lottery. Standings before play-in don’t matter. Basically, if you are in the playoffs, then you are not a lottery team. Simple as that.

STR8Thugg, saleem and D-rock like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We don't know what pick we're going to be getting until we see how Brooklyn does in the play-in.

If the Nets win the play-in, they get into the playoffs. If they don't get past the play-in, they're in the lottery. Technically, you can have a team with the worse record in the playoffs and the better record in the lottery.

From the 9/10 seed, they have to play 2 games and can't lose either one if they want to make it into the playoffs.
    From the 7/8 seed, they've got 2 games to win 1 game to make it to the playoffs.
    If they fail either of these, they're in the lottery.

STR8Thugg, saleem and D-rock like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree. The top pick is more important so I'd take that Orlando win and a guaranteed top 5 finish all day every day.

As for the Nets, this pick was supposed to be a low tier pick since its the first year its available. Any position lower than 20 is a massive win Nets were projected to be the top team in the L prior to the season.

Y2JT, saleem, jacoby and 1 other person like this.
  14. marinara

marinara Member

Don’t forget Josh was #24 and lesser extent Alphi at #16.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why are we so focused on the LOWER of the two picks?

I mean it is MUCH more important to be top 5 guaranteed than to get Brooklyn one or two spots higher at the ass end of the lottery.

TOP PICKS > LOW PICKS!

DD

Nook, Y2JT, everyday eddie and 2 others like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Even if so, just use EGo to move up.

There options to improve that pick.

Rockets top 5 pick, more critical.

Y2JT likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It takes two to tango. We’ll see if ego or wood will translate into moving up. My guess is they will not and if we trade them at all it will be for a pick in the future.

Corrosion, D-rock and saleem like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets have more than enough ammo to move up if necessary.

More assets than just Wood, EGo, Tate, etc.

19. Pete Coldcut

Pete Coldcut Member

don't sleep on the rockets keeping it competitive last night and forcing the nets to play kd and kyrie 40 minutes on the front end of a back-to-back. a thibs team can get randomly amped up for an otherwise meaningless late-season crosstown rivalry game.

D-rock and randerson like this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Top picks > low picks. Confirmed.

... but the Rockets have pretty much maximized their positioning in terms of probability for the first pick -- all they have to do is lose the last 2 games and they'll have a top-5 pick. If they win 1 or 2 games, the worst they get is a top-6 pick. There's not too much suspense left with that pick other than the lottery drawing itself.

The 2nd pick is more suspenseful right now because it could be around 13-14 or down to something like 17 or 18 the last time I looked. It potentially could be the difference between a 2nd lottery pick or a mid-round pick. It's also more complex and suspenseful now since it depends on multiple teams, seeding in the play-in, and the results of the play-in where that pick will land even though most of the teams determining the outcome of that pick only have 2 or 3 games left. And even after that, we won't know where that pick will land until after the play-in.