1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

2. HardenVolumeOne

Kansas is gonna win this game

North Carolina is 21-0 when leading at halftime. It’s gonna be 21-1 or 112. Embiid and harden ritual embiid went to Kansas and embiid wears 21, harden wears number 1

3. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Bold as usual.

I imagine a bunch of CIA/Mossad agents in the UNC locker room right now reminding the team that if they can make Epstien dissapear, they can do the same to a college team.

Nook and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  4. H. Christopher

Lol RocketsTruth

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I love alpy as much as the next guy. I was hoping to trade up for him before the draft and was super excited when we did. so far he has exceeded expectations. I think he's got a shot to be a really special player. I also think his size and athleticism might hold him back and so I'm not opposed to drafting another center like chet, Duren, Williams, or walker (if they're the best player available) and letting them battle it out with alpy for the duration of their rookie deals. in that sense I'm not considering "fit with sengun" when it comes to this draft.

however I'm not sure I'd feel the same way with jalen. I believe in him as an alpha scorer and I want to start putting pieces in place (or moving pieces out of the way) in order to maximize his talents. luckily the top players in the draft all fit really well with jalen. not so much with alpy. if we were lucky enough to land banchero or Jabari, our front court would be very limited at defending the rim and catching lobs. we'd be weak at playing above the rim. if that means we use the BRK pick on Williams or walker, or sign a shot blocking center in FA in order to maximize bancher/jabari, even if it limits alpy, I'd be ok with that in this particular scenario. I wouldn't be ok with making moves that limit Jalen's minutes, usage, or touches moving forward. and I think that's the difference for me in who I consider a cornerstone piece.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

All very reasonable. Considering we have a strong chance of picking 4th, if Ivey was there and the big 3 were off the board, do u have enough faith in Ivey’s ability to play the point? -Given that Jalen is locked in to heavy minutes at the 2. Or would you pass on him for a better fit with Green?

7. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Sure we can. I am not stressing about interior defense just yet when I am rebuilding a team in todays NBA. With Jalen being the future 1a I see Jarbari as a potential 1B for our roster . I am confident that we can find different big to slide next to Sengun down the road or back him up. Right now I am looking to draft a 1B. A Robin for my Batman. I just don’t see Chet as a solid Robin for Jalen.

The ones I considered untouchable are Green, Christopher, and Sengun. The core I like to see us build around with are those 3, KJM, KPJ (in a better role), Nix. Everyone else I am willing to entertain trades for, I’ll even add KPJ to sweeten a deal.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bruno Fernando should be retained as a reserve center. He can protect the rim, and rebound. He is young too, and he has size. No Theis type signings needed anymore. I do like Duran and Williams, I would consider them with the Nets pick.

9. swakid8

swakid8 Member

He has been playing really well. I’ll be interested in seeing how his game improves going into next season. But there things he needs work on Defensively though. It would be a good reserve big.

saleem likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i started watching championship game highlights and turned it off as soon as i realized theres no chet, banchero, jabroni ivey or griffin there...were they injured or what?!

what a freaking joke...
    the hype is real
    you talk about these guys as if they are already on lebrons level and they couldnt even make the finals...
    lolololol

Imanimal likes this.
  11. swakid8

swakid8 Member

lol, if you relied on March Madness(the meaning, any given day is true) to evaluate these kids, you are behind the 8-ball….

jiggyfly, Ekiu and daywalker02 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

This didn't age well... as evidenced by the celebratory gunfire I heard last night here in Kansas :D

clos4life, vator and Aruba77 like this.
  14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Nice one man. With the score the way it was at half, who would have thought besides gematria lol. once again its correct. the games they play.

15. Rockets4Life13

College bball has a tendency to be weird like that at times.

Just 1 week ago I put some money on Drake to cover the spread of -6.

They were leading by 27 points at one time and that's a gigantic amount of points in collegeball and they ended up losing that game.

Sometimes they just go on 15 minute droughts and they just can't stop the bleeding because most of these teams don't have that guy tonget them a bucket

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3227942/202...dukes-mark-williams-hollingers-week-that-was/

Prospect of the week: Mark Williams, Duke, 7-0 sophomore center

(Note: This section won’t necessarily profile the best prospect of the week. Just the one I’ve been watching.)

Duke’s season ended on Saturday, and while all the attention was on the final game of coach Mike Krzyzewski’s career, the Blue Devils’ tournament run was also notable for the impression left by Williams. He had four straight double-figure games in the tournament before foul trouble limited him to 17 minutes in Saturday’s loss to North Carolina, boosting his draft stock quite a bit along the way.

As a result, the 20-year-old Williams may be in danger of becoming Tournament Guy as we get into draft season — the guy whose stock becomes inflated by having his best outings in a few high-profile tournament games. Williams has legitimate strengths that we’ll discuss in a minute, but after being viewed as a fringe first-rounder or early second-rounder for much of the year, he’s become so popular as a “sleeper” that he may actually cross the rubicon into being somewhat overvalued.

First, the good stuff. Williams is a 7-footer with a 7-7 wingspan, which would give him nearly the longest reach in the league, plus enough foot dexterity to offer a huge ceiling at the defensive end. The biggest issue with projecting college bigs is whether they can handle being isolated on the perimeter against NBA speed. The college game offers view bread crumbs here, but based on the video I watched, Williams seems to pass this test. Opposing guards rarely chose to attack him in isos this season, and when they did it usually ended badly.

Here’s a key possession from the Blue Devils’ overtime win over Texas Tech, for instance. An opponent faces up Williams from the perimeter and tries to challenge this lateral quickness, but ends up with the word “Wilson” imprinted backward on his forehead:

Vid

Williams rejected 7.0 opponent shots per 100 possessions this season, for a block rate of 11.4 percent — that’s superb, putting him in the company of the draft’s two human fly-swatters (Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren and Auburn’s Walker Kessler). He did it without an alarmingly high foul rate, too. Despite a somewhat thin frame, he has a rebound rate also within acceptable margins for a big man prospect, especially his 13.2 percent rate on the offensive glass. Even without a ton of muscle or explosion, he has the length and mobility to help him hunt put-backs.

We don’t really see college bigs rim-run as a regular thing, but Williams’ length, hands and mobility provide some optimism that he can do this somewhat competently as a pro. While he’s not an explosive lob threat, he has enough freebies in the paint to average 27.9 points per 100 possessions and shot 72.3 percent from the field this year.

That said, the offensive ceiling seems significantly lower than the defensive one. Williams has become a passable foul shooter (72.7 percent) and shows occasional flashes of competence on short jumpers, but at this point doesn’t have the stroke of a legitimate perimeter threat, even from 18 feet. He’s also not really a post threat. It’s possible he could eat a bit more in an offense where he isn’t the fifth option, but realistically in the NBA he’s going to be a fifth option.

Overall, Williams’s shot-blocking translates and he appears to have the feet to play NBA-style defense against the pick and roll. However, I’m generally loath to draft centers very highly, in particular one like this, who is likely to have a limited offensive role. The tournament helped his draft stock enough that he could push into the back end of the lottery, but I think the tail end of the first round might be a more appropriate place for him right now.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It'll be really interesting to see if Bacot catapulted himself into the first round. The dude's a warrior.

joshuaao and alethios like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like this post. It's valuable. Please consider adding a post related to a underrated SF.

19. i3artow i3aller

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

How much money do you have bet on the Sixers to make the Finals? You better be a millionaire in a couple of months.