1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations for Green's second year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fchowd0311, Apr 4, 2022.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Tfor3 likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I expect to be very upset when he doesn't make the all star game.

He's an electrifying talent - he should be there over more boring players.

Does anyone want to see Rudy Gobert in the ASG ever again? Even Jazz fans? Or hungover Luka? Draymond? Come on people

Stephen_A and BossHogg713 like this.
  3. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Wonderful, that means EG and Dennis are back for next year to suck up more of Green and JayGup's PT and FGA.

vator likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Good post. He is a 25 ppg scorer if he is the focus of the offense. If Silas gets his way he will get 18 shots a game. Not enough in my opinion. It should be designed for him to be the focus and when he is having an off night then defer a bit more to whoever is hot. I was on the Ivey bandwagon for a bit, but with the performance of JGup, KPJ, and especially Jalen it would be a mistake. If we cant land the big of our choice we should look to trade down or trade for a vet to fill the PF position and a rim protector or take a flyer on Sharp as a developmental SF.

Boii and vator like this.
  5. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

If Jalen is unleashed and EG+Dennis aren't here?

25-4-4 on 58% TS, with improved team defense and developing a reputation as a lockdown ISO defender on guards.

If Gordon and Dennis are still here?

Then it means Tillman is intentionally trying to sandbag Jalen so he can resign him for cheap.

vator likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Green's already a walking bucket. Last night, he casually split two defenders and went for a monster slam before getting fouled. He made it look so easy when that's actually a really hard play. I don't think the best course of development for him is just a higher volume of shots. Even the most athletic players have stamina limits and trying to score 30+ will hinder his development in other areas. Next season, I'd like to experiment more with him as a primary PNR ballhandler. That's a situation that elite superstars need to master. I also want him to challenge himself to guard the other team's best perimeter threat. He's come a long way defensively, but actively wanting the hardest matchups would be very encouraging.

Eventually, I'd like him to add craftiness and inbetween game. Right now once he drives past his man he quickly goes to the rim. Players like Lebron and CP3 don't go 100% all the time. They can probe into the paint, survey the floor, and let plays and passing angles develop. But that's real next level stuff that we'd be fortunate to see at all, let alone in Green's second season.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

More consistently get to the line. Improved Defense. Get stronger overall. Better haircut.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

More muscle.

Deckard and i3artow i3aller like this.
  9. Mattician

Mattician Member

I can see Green averaging up to 25 points a game next season.

He'll be bigger and stronger. He'll have more free throw attempts.

vator likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I didn't think it was weird other than the fact it needed to be said. Taking 25 shots in a game should be outside the realm of "normal". I hope Jalen gets the "take over when needed" mentality rather than the "I gotta put up 20-25 shots" mentality. Taking 18 shots a game puts him in the top 10-15 players in the game right now. It also allows for other players like KPJ, Christopher, Sengun, etc. to get theirs. I'd rather this team turn into a team where anybody can go off for 20 on a given night and Jalen can go off for 25-30 whenever he damn-near wants to than a "Jalen got his 30, but we lose again" team. I honestly think 18-20 shots a game should be Jalen's "normal" game, but he shouldn't be restricted to it, and I don't think he will be.

#50 Dr of Dunk, Apr 4, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    fattz, xaos, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The whole “shots a game” quote is a bit overblown . For all I know Silas meant he should be going to the FT line 7 more possessions.

I think my expectations are

1) continue to grow as a 2-way player .
    2) get a bigger role in the offense including more creation and pick and roll ball handler
    3) continue to be a professional and develop your body to better withstand and dominate the NBA season
    4) win us a few more games . Translate your play into winning basketball.
    5) work on your layup package for when you can’t get all the way to the rim

Stats are hard to predict .

get me over 20 points . 4 assists and a couple of steals . Oh and try to limit TO’s ... but I have forgiveness here especially if we give him a bigger creation role .

harold bingo likes this.
  12. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

I don't have much of an issue with Green taking 18-20 shots per game, with his efficiency, that's enough to get him 20+ ppg easily. What I would like is to increase his touches, to let him drive and kick. Last night he had success with driving and dishing, and he needs to build on that. He's so explosive that he warps the defense when going downhill, and there's always someone open for him to dish. I would much rather have him attack, than to watch KPJ beat his man and then inexplicably pull back and try and1 s**t all the time.

He needs to spend the summer getting stronger and polishing his handle. He already shows much improved control when driving, and he's able to take contact much better than before. He's showing that all the talk about his work ethic is true, and that, coupled with his insane athletic ability is what makes him the most exciting and promising youngster on the team.
    Hopefully he will have the ball more next year.

Stephen_A and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

If he can give 22/4/5 on decent efficiency for a full season as the lead option on a ~30 win young team I will be very, very happy with where he is at. Anything better than that would be awesome but unfair to “expect.”

Stephen_A likes this.
  14. CertifiedTroll

50/10/10/10 on 0 turnovers and 75% TS.
    Also a chanpionship

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I wonder if we could make a voting campaign for him between Clutchfans and Reddit gmfor rockets. I would only do it the stats and play criteria back up a legitimate selection.

I bet you could get a lot of votes if enough people were invested. It would nice if he could get one of those 12 year type runs to the allstar game.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I just want to see progression and growth.
    Green and Alp I would like to see development in their bodies first, then tightening up skills.

Stephen_A likes this.
  17. alethios

alethios Member

I've seen some signs of that kind of playmaking from JG, but he is young and has a score-first mentality. If he had a real PG to work with him in the backcourt, he would not have to be so much a primary ballhandler, playmaker and could focus on scoring and defense. Also for someone with his quickness and length, he should be improving his rebounding.

Stephen_A likes this.
  18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think he'll come out of the gate hot putting up 25/5/5. As the season goes on and he starts battling cumulative fatigue and seeing defenses designed with him in mind (including encouraging Scoot to drive into traffic), I expect the averages to drop mid-season (Trade him!). Then, as he learns and adjusts, we'll see those numbers creep up on the back end of the season and we'll also start to see longer stretches of the player he will be. Years 3-12 I expect All-Star level consistency.

Stephen_A and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just get in the lab this summer and work hard

Rocket River

20. MystikArkitect

I was expecting a stretch like hes having right now next year. What he's doing now most players in the NBA will never do. No other current rookie will have a stretch of 30 pt games like this next year. Maybe Cade the year after that. He's the only one that could.

If Jalen plays at this level, then I'd hope the Rockets win more games and he's in the ASG. The only thing stopping him right now, if you even want to call it that, is refs swallowing their whistles, his weight, and Jaesean Tate/KPJ not knowing how to pass him the damn ball. His shot numbers are fine, not saying he doesn't get the ball enough. I'd rather they get him the ball in transition when they need to, not at the end of shot clocks like they do.

Give me Chet or Jabari Smith, Schroeder at PG, KPJ off the bench, and Green with a euro step, 10 more lbs, and some ref respect.

Stephen_A and Believe It! like this.