1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop Eating Seed Oils

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fantastic video. Root cause issue for many of our maladies.

1. Stop eating fast food
    2. Stop eating processed food & meats
    3. Start cutting out highly processed food additives like veggie oil.

My one gripe about these types of videos is that I just need a ****ing bottom line. What should I cut out? Uh, go back to 19:30-19:37. What should I add as a substitute? Go back to 16:00-16:15. Give me a ****ing list.

BTW:
    • Grass fed butter
    • Grass fed animal fat
    • Coconut Oil

Deckard and FrontRunner like this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

olive oil is fine if it is actually extra virgin olive oil.

Many olive oil brands are doped with seed oils.

3. Commodore

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. Commodore

Unfortunately seed oils are in just about everything.

One thing that video points out is unlike sugar or carbs, it's not as if seed oils are some guilty pleasure that tastes better and people are addicted to. It's literally just cheaper, that's the only benefit (and that might only be because of farm subsidies).

One thing that was discouraging to me was that most chicken/pork fat has polyunsaturated fat from the seed oils that those animals are typically fed. So I thought I was avoiding seed oils by eating chicken/pork but I wasn't. Beef and lamb don't have this issue because ruminant animals digest food differently.

Seed oil rebellion has good guidance and premade shopping list for items without seed oils.

https://www.seedoilrebellion.com/

Deckard and Xerobull like this.
  5. Xerobull

Thanks! Will read up.

6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I researched the topic somewhat superficially years ago, so maybe I'm wrong. But my understanding is olive oil is stable only at low to medium heat, or up to about 320 degrees (some do say higher temps and that it's even okay to deep fry with it, but those people appear to be few in number). Since medium heat can be anywhere between 300-400 degrees, I think it's best to find something more stable.

I had a doctor actually warn me about this years ago , too, but I somehow defaulted back to olive oil.

I supplement with an Omega 3-6-9 oil as well and should probably check into it.

Again, tho, maybe I'm wrong or there's more current info...

#26 FrontRunner, Apr 4, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Xerobull likes this.
  7. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

This, 1000000%

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I always use 5w-30 … good yes or no? o_O

…….
    …….
    …….

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Man, I'm totally the opposite of you - if you've got something important to say, you need to be able to back it up with proof. Take 5 minutes or 1 hour. Without that, you can just have a video bottom-lining it for you saying "Do x, y, z" and another video that just says "Don't do x, y, z". Which do you choose? lol. The "bottom-lining" thing is part of what's screwing up social media and have people falling for every scam known. They don't want to research anything, they just would rather be told what to do (or not realize they're being told what to do).

10. Xerobull

Ok, I apologize for not conveying what I meant. I need BOTH. The video sold me (I was already pre-sold, but that's the gist). Now I need a plan. i don't want to look for a plan. I want a verifiable plan.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I love you, man.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Xerobull

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BamBam, Squirtle and Deckard like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Since there's debate on its credibility, what's the tldr of this?

14. Xerobull

TLDR is processed seed 'oils' are toxic to your body and there is strong evidence to support that high intake of them is directly responsible for a slew of modern ailments including obesity, heart disease and even alzheimer's.

I don't think there's a strong debate here against the theory/idea itself. It's more the messenger's credibility with certain other member's, and other member's other biases.

It's a good watch/listen. Put it on 1.25x speed or even 1.5x speed if you can handle it.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I wouldn't go deep-frying or searing in it, though. I think that may be nuts. I would think it'd be a smokey black mess by the time you're done, but I don't know. But for 320-350 degrees or less and pan frying, it should be ok in terms of smoke point. Now, whether it's unstable or not is something I'm still wondering about, too. I've heard the same things as you about applying heat to olive oil, but then I've also heard stuff like the following :

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/...d-stop-worrying-about-olive-oils-smoke-points
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/canola-vs-olive-oil#nutrition

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You're going to die.

Squirtle, Invisible Fan and Commodore like this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Why does stuff like this happen right when I'm ready to eat? I swear ...

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

I've done several rounds of Whole30 and it changed my life. The restrictions are not permanently sustainable, but every time I do it I walk away with much better habits. Try to have the majority of your meals consist of whole ingredients (meat, fish, fruits, and vegetables) and pay attention to labels. Make that consistent and you will see how drastically the way you feel changes. I was amazed at how much stuff contains soy.

19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

So which is healthier?

Using olive oil to sear/crisp skin on a chicken breast or thigh before putting it in the oven?

Or cooking it on a grill?

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It is known that high heated fats and proteins (deep fried) can produce carcinogens. Processed oils are likely as bad as processed carbs even if it's one of the core bases of modern cooking.

It's just that they were both known as the food of Kings and nobles that made it to the mainstream with modernized 20th century industrialization.

I mean ditching vegetable oil for lard likely isn't a sustainable habit, but alternating between grapeseed, Olive, and peanut oil could be a good segue study.

No doubt modern diets need revisiting but with everything politicized today, I imagine there are grumblings over the elites telling the deep fried lovin fatties what to do or an absolute distrust in scientific studies because of yesterday's lies like margarine or that old school food pyramid food companies pushed the government to peddle in the 50s.

Even when things are certain, we all know sugar inside soda is bad but we don't ban it. Strongly encouraging against drinking too much of it isn't reducing the problem either.

Will check it out with some free time

#40 Invisible Fan, Apr 4, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2022