1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

This is probably why we haven't even won a regular season game yet. 100% on Click, trade em all, burn it down, and start over. Thanks Drayton!!

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Verlander is a big upgrade over Greinke. And it appears that Click has preserved a lot of flexibility going into the trade season.

jiggyfly and IowaAstro like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My point is that Click's signings so far have performed better than what he has paid for them even with taking a 0 on Baez. Gurriel and Brantley performance last year were so great on cheap contracts that almost every performance from a player signed prior to this offseason by Click (LMJ is the big exception) is house money. No Astros team under the Click's leadership has not made the ALCS.

On your question, Snake already answered it. JV and Goodrum (which should remedy Robel problem). Only downside of signing JV is if he performs bad for one year or if performs great, but gets hurt late in the season.

I expect under Click's leadership the Astros poopy smell will be making the postseason at least 3 times out of the next 4 years with great teams (injuries causing any misses). Astros chances at winning a World Series in the next 4 years are as good as anyone's.

4. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

I think (somewhat logically) if you have no glaring need, then why make marginal or high dollar risky upgrades? As a fan, I like the big splashy moves but this Astros team is a dynasty. No team has had more success in the past 5 years and very few in history. Why not wait and see what is available at the trade deadline to address needs? They show year after year that this is the path to success:

2017: Verlander
    2018: Pressly, Maldanado, Osuna
    2019: Greinke, Maldando (again)
    2020: Nothing, and it probably cost them another trip to the WS
    2021: Maton, Garcia, Graveman

The biggest spenders and flashy acquisitions are reserved for fringe contenders (Rangers, Mets) or trust fund orgs (Dodgers, Red Sox) especially in the offseason. I am floored to finally be rooting for a team that is so good that it can afford to wait and be selective.

jiggyfly, Snake Diggit and Bregatron like this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If you want to be unhappy. I can't stop you. I'm just seeing a different picture.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He better use that trade flexibility to add a big bat and not in freaking bullpen tinkering. If that’s the plan So be it. Wouldn’t have been my plan but whatever. We need another bat. I think we probably need 3 (I’m counting on league average by position- for Brantley and Gurriel). If that happens we will have 4 positions above average offensively, (RF, 2B, DH, 3B), 3 at average (1B, LF and CF) and 2 below average (C and SS). We really blew a chance this off-season to bring correa back and make some sort of deal with Brantley and some relievers non tendered/not signed out and a guy like Bryant in. Then we’d have been above average or average everywhere but catcher- and nobody gives a **** about offense at catcher.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

How about we let them play a little bit before we decide who is average?

8. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

It's been decided , I'm sorry. Wulaw has spoken.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I do not think it is reasonable to decide Pena is a below average player before he has played single game. Nor is it reasonable to call last years batting champ (Gurriel) and runner up (Brantley) average offensive players. As far as I know the center field job has not even been filled yet so the production there is hard to predict. That position will be filled by a placeholder until Leon comes up in May. He will begin the season in Sugar Land for service time considerations only.
    Truth is the only weak spot in the offense is at catcher and Maldonado's defense more than compensates for that. With Lee also coming up at some point this year it gets even better.
    Be of good cheer. This could well be the best Astros team ever fielded.

Marshall Bryant and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Vegas had Houston with the highest O/U in the AL even after losing Correa. Now, I personally took the under on that bet, but Vegas is admittedly a lot better than I am. Should be interesting.

jiggyfly and Pringles like this.
  11. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

Bryan Reynolds trade market seems to be heating up, not sure if the Astros will be involved, but he would obviously be a perfect fit for this team.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just remember, last year at this time, Tucker was a disappointment and a dud. Then baseball happened.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Brown, Whitley, Lee, and one of Meyers/Siri/McCormick would probably be a competitive offer. I am not sure I would want Houston to do that, but I agree Reynolds would look great in Houston’s lineup.

IowaAstro likes this.
  14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Whats the total for Astros?

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I understand that prospects are only prospects until they prove themsrlves and plenty never do.

However I don't think the Astros should trade Lee now. He is the catcher of the near future.

That said maybe Pittsburgh only accepts him in the deal. I don't know.

Also whitley's trade value is the lowest its ever been. Now the team must hold him and hope. If they were going to trade him 2 years ago was the time. Or maybe this trade deadline but not now.

I would offer: Brown, Barber, Ivey, Y.Diaz, and McCormick 5 instead of 4 still may not be enough but I hold onto Lee and can't see them wanting Whitley ( or him actually adding to the value)

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Too rich for an above average, NOT superstar CF. 125 with below average D is closer to Typical.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I got it at 92.5. This was about a week ago, so it may have changed by now.

Fulgore likes this.
  18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I have 91.5 with the CHW at 92.5 leading the AL. TEX got a 15 game bump, but still sub 500.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m making my prediction. Feel free to circle it and we will check notes at the end of the year.

average 90-100. Below average sub 90, above average higher than 110. (OPS+). If Brantley or Yuli exceed that but play less than 100 games that will drag down the stats likely.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You are talking about a rookie without a lot of pedigree and carried by his glove. I’m making a probabilistic argument here. If he’s average that would be a huge win compared to what often happens. brantley and Yuli are old. old guys fall off a cliff or get injured quite often. Another probabilistic bet.
    look- I think the Astros are going to be really good. I think they win 95 games and cruise to a division title and are about the 4th or 5th best team in baseball. It’s just disappointing to me that we didn’t strive for more than that in the off-season. If we go big game hunting at the break that’s great.