1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. alethios

alethios Member

At 18, he was full of promise, a rising star in the Euroleague, but now at the ripe old age of 20, age has caught up with him.

2. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

His rookie season sure is underwelming. A big part of it are injuries, which is probably why he lacks some of his athletic ability right now. And I think he's frustrated with that and also not getting a proper chance to get reps in the NBA.

But I think he will bounce back and improve drastically next season, if given the chance. He just needs to work on his 3, and getting back in shape. IMO he fits this team perfectly. If developed properly, he projects as a high level role player 3 and D big man. He doesn't stop the ball, and he hustles like mad. I especially like his potential playing alongside Green and Christopher, because he has great dexterity and quickness, and he can get intercepts and fuel the transition offense. He's a quick and decisive passer, so the Rockets wouldn't have the issues they have now with Wood killing their transition offense when trying to play PG.

The Rockets need to play Garuba more next year, hopefully there will be minutes for him regardless of who they draft (Wood needs to be traded also).

Astrodome likes this.
  3. Rokman

Rokman Member

Fair enough. I don't think he is a lost cause I just thought he would have acclimated to the competition he is playing against in the NBA after performing as well as he did in the Olympics.

steddinotayto likes this.
  4. vator

vator Contributing Member

He hasn't even been really given enough time to even look bad in my opinion. I haven't seen enough to even think anything one way or the other.

Clint Capela looked way worse than Garuba and he turned out fine.

Give him a chance.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He hasn’t played nearly enough to make any solid judgments on yet, but the one issue I did have with him early was that he seemed to try to do too much when he did get minutes. I’m guessing he was trying to show that he deserved the time, but it ended up making him look a little like a stat padder instead of a team player. I haven’t noticed that lately. He needs some serious playing time, maybe more than anyone else right now, otherwise we have absolutely no idea what the guy is in terms of being a player at this point.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

he needs to get in better shape

looks like he has a 2 inch vert and is waddling up and down the court built like a Buick

GotGame15 and Tuckankhamun like this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wait and see prospect. Also still super young. Didn’t get a real chance this year, and injury made things worse. More time in the G League and some real minutes in the rotation next season will give us a much better assessment of where he is. Hope he works his tail off with nba trainers this offseason.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

First it was Gup, then it was Jalen, then they tried with Sengun. Garuba is next up. Clutchfans needs to desperately to find fault is something. Garuba will be fine. I was watching him in g-league, before he got hurt and when he was in shape - he was a menace. He was actually doing more than this clips show.

also Garuba's game is so aesthetically ugly, it makes you think he is doing worse than he actually is.

even if Rockets dont hit on Garuba, hitting on 3.5 rookies in one draft is bananas.

9. Milos

Milos Member

Garuba MUST develop a 3pt shot to get minutes on a team with Sengun as the primary 5

He's not big or long enough to be the rim-protector complement to Sengun as his backup at 5

He's also (currently) not a good enough shooter to open up spacing for our guards as the 4 next to Sengun, or any other non-shooting big

If another team liked him, I'd look to package him in a deal to move up in this draft or find a better frontcourt fit next to Sengun

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ridiculously small sample for March, but his advanced numbers are actually good.

ApacheWarrior and DreamShook like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I hope sengun gets healthy and garuba comes on.

Show me a green /x/ Tate / garuba / sengun lineup ... I wanna see bodies flying around on D . offense ... Yeah a bit poo . But what if Tate can make 3’s and green takes over ?

gabura looks QUICK . I’ve seen some quick ups and some really good flashes laterally .

he will not shine until the rest of the team D is good to tho . It’s harder to cover for teammates mistakes on D than it is to cover on offense by making a shot .

dreaming of a defense coordinated by Tate with a top 4 pick , sengun , garuba , green , kpj (improved) , or Jc (improved) .

usman just needs to keep working on that jumper . I don’t think he has the dribble or the explosiveness to finish at the rim . That’s a work in progress . Definitely raw on offense which is why he fell to 23 . a bit small too .

is he a thicc guy more geared towards guarding 4’s ? Or a long boi better on the perimeter ? Can he find a middle ground and do both ?

DreamShook likes this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

All you morons calling Garuba a miss, he's top of the depth chart!

13. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Thon Maker/Yi Jianlan/Serge Ibaka 2, Garuba was 29 when drafted by us...

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you told me that Bruno was actually Garuba I'd be excited about his future

i3artow i3aller and DreamShook like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Bruno only 23.. Im riding with my guy Destiny but Bruno needs to stay for the rebuild.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houston Rockets - A Tradition of Bigs!

17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

These are great points too. They're tanking not playing hard nosed defense which is the side of the ball he's known for excelling. I think we'll get an idea of their "future" plans regarding whether he's a 4 or 5 after this season. If he's bulking up trying to hit 250 I'd guess they want him to be a 5. Personally I'd like to see him remain around that 235 mark putting in the weight room work to look like Bruno. Let him be an athletic advantage at the 4. His 3 point shot is good enough, faith at this point but it's not an ugly stroke.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

19. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Those shorts are definitely a miss.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Garuba was born in Madrid lol, hard to hide that birth certificate