1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes he is. that's one of his strengths on his resume. He literally has shut down guards all year. Edwards is also a guard who is a great individual defender.

UH only double teams guys who try to post and trap. That's what their monster set is based on.

Nook likes this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Do Edwards, Carlton and Moore have the option of returning? I thought they were Seniors. Is that true?

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

None of them are returning.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Edwards had the opportunity to return...but has opted not to. This has been known for a long time.

And then there's this...opening another roster spot...

5. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Never liked what I saw from him when he got in anyways. Not that he really got much time to develop on the court. We'l be set at guard though assuming all the guys who can return choose to do so.

Sasser, Shead, Mark, Walker Jr, Sharp

Go and get a big man from the Transfer Portal and let's go to the Final Four in our backyard in 2023.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Armbrester leaving is a really good thing for UH.

Sampson does extremely well in the transfer portal and coming off a Final Four and now an Elite Eight, there will be lots of options for UH.

The UH team next year has the chance to be the best in the country.

Assuming they get Sasser back, they are going to be loaded in the backcourt with offense and defense, and multiple sized options.

They have Arcenaux a top 40 prospect and Walker a top 5-8 prospect coming in. Sharp will also figure in, and Mark has the ability to be pretty damn good.

They have some veterans inside and will add at least one good big in the transfer portal too.

Squirtle and YOLO like this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

No guard minutes to be had so not surprising.

8. Nook

Nook Member

They didn't think he was leaving though.... so they won't publicly admit it and will handle it with class, but him leaving is a huge deal for Sampson to add an older kid to play inside.

There is some question about Sasser though.... I really hope he comes back, he can be one of the top scorers in the country next year if he does. He isn't NBA relevant, but he will get lots of options overseas and there is a chance he comes out now for that purpose.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I was thinking that over the last few days... we need a roster spot for a big... I hope someone gets upset with lack of PT and leaves, lol.

Sasser would be a fool to leave after this year. That's really a sell low buy high strategy. He has a more than good chance to be the face of a top 10 squad and end up a lottery pick.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

11. Nook

Nook Member

I bet no one has ever carded Jarace.... and never will. He came out of the womb eating a cigarette and slapped the nurse for being hysterical.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

This is how we crack the code and win it all. Time to bring in the big guns. Sampson has entered the modern era of recruiting. He gonna like what he snagged.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Edwards was the best defender on the team, no question but I was referring to next year's team which he won't be a part of.

Sampson recently said that the 33-4 sweet sixteen team was so good because it had two great on ball defenders ( Galen Robinson and Corey Davis). This year's team only had one, Edwards, and he's gone.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

This year had two. Shead is without a doubt an elite defender both team and individual. It's not even debatable tbh

anyone that actually follows this team closely would know that and what hes done this year and how guards have struggled against him all year long

15. aelliott

You're disagreeing with Kelvin Sampson? He said the sweet 16 team was special because it had two great on ball defenders. This team only had one - Edwards.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's nothing to disagree with. Your reference has nothing to do with Shead. you're trying to spin it as if it does. It doesn't. Sampson literally talks about his past teams all the time. That's what he does

17. MystikArkitect

Feel like this Cougar team as well as the previous one benefited from being under the radar. It was actually an advantage for talking heads to rank them low or not give them any press because teams didn't have them circled.

That all changes now. They're now firmly in the cross hairs. And one season away from the B12. Better not end up like Kentucky or Purdue next year.

18. aelliott

He said that team was unusual because it had 2 great ball defenders. That means that this year and last year he didn't have 2 great on ball defenders.

This year he had one - Edwards.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

that doesn't mean anything. Just because he says that about a different team doesn't mean he is talking about a current team. stop reaching

I could easily say that team was unusual because he didn't have a freshman starting pg. And this year Sampson did in Shead. but I'm not going to go with your logic and reach as if he's talking about different teams at the same time

you can tell yourself shead isn't a great defender all you want. It isn't the truth in reality

20. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a season ticket holder and watched every game. I am not a coach, but just a basketball enthusiast. To my eyes, Shead is a very good on ball and team defender. I'm not sure about elite, but he was pretty darn good. Now 3 point shooting is another matter.