1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Would You Be Willing to Give up to Get Mobley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ChillyPete32, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Rockets4Life13

He has the most FTA among rookies.

Rookies don't get calls, you should know that by now

i3artow i3aller and vator like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Spoken like a dude who doesn't watch the Rockets consistently. Probably spent way too many hours following Harden.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

in the past 20 years, there's been only 20 1st year guards that have averaged more free throw attempts per game than Jalen Green while playing at least 30 mpg. If we want to add in usage % (Green's usage % this year is 23.2%), the total drops from 20 to 7 in the past 20 years.

4. varughese.arun

Great stat. Thank you

zeeshan2, vator and steddinotayto like this.
  5. steddinotayto

My pleasure. For those interested, the 7 1st year guards that had more free throw attempts in their rookie years:

1. Chris Paul 6 attempts per game
    2. John Wall 5.7
    3. RJ Barrett 4.5
    4. Eric Gordon 4.5
    5. Brandon Roy 4.2
    6. Ben Simmons 4.2
    7. Ricky Rubio 3.8

zeeshan2, i3artow i3aller and vator like this.
  6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

A reminder that Eric Gordon averaged 16/3/3 on TS 59% in his rookie season, and was all-rookie 2nd team.

Easy likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

Yup, Gordon had all the makings to become an perennial All-Star guard. It all went downhill once the small injuries started piling up.

i3artow i3aller and apollo33 like this.
  8. vator

vator Contributing Member

Relax my guy, he is no threat to Harden's legacy here...not yet anyways. He's just a 20 year old rookie trying to find his way. Harden is stamped. JG will need to deliver what Harden couldn't...a championship to the city of Houston.

Yeah I don't want that guy that just turned 20 years old less than 2 months ago showing the ability to knock down three pointers consistently on high volume and getting to the basket showing off his amazing athleticism with highlight dunks right?

No mention of his developing midrange game and burgeoning playmaking or pesky defense? His lateral quickness and ability to recover are actually very impressive.

Ya'll keep thinking he's not going to get any better and that he is a finished product. That was the first mistake that people made back as early as November and December. He had a special month of March and he hasn't even fully scratched the surface of what he will be.

#308 vator, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  9. HardenVolumeOne

y’all have me confused I’m not saying he is trash, just that his points have a lot empty calories. He’s more Andrew Wiggins right now than even Bradley Beal or rookie Eric Gordon

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. vator

vator Contributing Member

He wasn't the centerpiece in the Chris Paul trade that brought CP3 to the Clippers for no reason. EG was legit back in high school and college. Coming out of HS, he was only behind OJ Mayo and rated higher than Derrick Rose and James Harden.

EG averaged 22 points per game his 3rd season.

JayZ750 likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

I didn't say you said he was trash. I was pointing out that looking at a stat like free throw attempts for a rookie as a way to dismiss what he's doing is careless.

FG% in their rookie seasons:
    Wiggins: 43.7%
    Green: 41.7%
    Beal: 41%
    Gordon: 45.6%

3PT% in their rookie seasons:
    Wiggins: 31%
    Green: 33%
    Beal: 38.6%
    Gordon: 38.9%

TS% in their rookie seasons:
    Wiggins: 51.7%
    Green: 53.7%
    Beal: 51.5%
    Gordon: 59.3%

From a shooting perspective Green is actually closer to Beal and/or Gordon than Wiggins or, at worst, they're all pretty much in the same range.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Oh jeez empty calorie points talk again.

A rookie scoring 20+ points in a game on a tanking team. That's the development process. U want a rookie to b this hot, it's a positive sign. Many team wishes their rookie can put 20+ points consistently.

Like u see people shtting on wood for pointless stats cause he's a 6 year vet putting up points just to lose.

It's all about perspectives. U Could say I'm being defensive about Green, but I like to take the stance that rookies shouldnt b criticized for putting up points unless it's very inefficiently of course

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

What does empty calories points even mean? To me that sounds like stat padding or being selfish and throwing up many shots to get your points. Green is doing neither. And he has hit a lot of clutch shots already.

i mean, look at the other rookies. Cade has bad efficiency, Mobley and Barnes points are usually assisted… Green is the only one that can create his own shot reliably with good efficiency.

Nelly and Convictedstupid like this.
  14. Convictedstupid

Wouldn't 'empty calorie' points be MORE points off FTs? Because those 'supposedly' disappear in the playoffs?

15. HardenVolumeOne

no points off free throws slow the game down and dictate pace of play especially if you have a superstar player. Scoring 50 with zero free throws won’t register high on game score compared to someone who goes 14-20 from the field and 18-19 from the line to get 50

16. HardenVolumeOne

cade has more upside than green. I remember Tatum and Luka as rookies and both had issues blowing by nba Calibur defenders as rookies. Cade will develop that in time

17. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Doesn't Jalen have more FT attempts than any other rookie?

Looked it up, he's 2nd behind Mobley (3.2 FTA vs 3.5 FTA)

Good thing Green is 2nd in FTA/G amongst Rookies, and 1st since the ASG.

Tatum and Luka's rookie years were orders of magnitude better than Cade's. I'm sure Cade will get better as time goes on, and I don't disagree with him having a higher ceiling, its why he went #1 and Green #2. I do question whether him reaching it is more likely than Green reaching his.

Speaking of which, Green has higher WS/48 than Cade as of today.

I think we should all be glad we didn't pick Suggs, who I'll go out on a limb and say will be the bust of the draft.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've seen empty stats used primarily for stats achieved in inefficient means or only in garbage time (i.e., opponents have their garbage players in). This can be ppg stats that are inflated by a lot of FGAs and FTAs, but with poor accuracy. It could be a lot of assists coupled with a lot of turnovers on bad passes. It is used sometimes incorrectly on players that have a flaw in their game or are disliked for how they play. For instance, a good offensive player's offensive stats are incorrectly called empty because he is a bad defender.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I remember watching a Clippers/Lakers game ages ago where he went shot for shot with Kobe and was really frustrating him because the Lakers had no answer. I was sure he was going to be a perennial all star but those pesky injuries...

steddinotayto likes this.
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This is hilarious. How long before you pivot and say "ya'll misunderstood me, I was just saying he needs to work on x,y,z"? Your comment makes it painfully obvious you aren't actually watching the player you are criticizing. In an attempt to be the smart guy, you appear to have outsmarted yourself.