1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9 games left. Why are we playing vets at all?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by futilman, Mar 26, 2022.

?

Are you down to start Nix, Green, Tate, Garuba, Sengun for the remainder of the year?

1. Yes, let’s play our unproven guys and see what we have

92.5%
  2. No, continue to play vets over youth

7.5%
  1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Jabari? At this rate we'll be welcoming Shaedon Sharpe instead.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think the issue is, if worst case scenario unfolds, Rockets could fall as far back as 8. Finishing worst puts your floor at 5.

Seems pretty painful to be the worst team in the league most of the season while trying to win ostensibly then getting out-tanked by a game at the end by purposeful tankers and lose out on the elite picks.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

To a certain degree I think they are trying to avoid any penalties from the league and tanking as much as they can under the radar. We're not playing our best player (Wall) and were not playing Gordon on back to backs. I think it would be hard to justify to the league not playing a 26 yr old Wood when he's healthy

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The org is gonna do whatever they want - so I am not going to be bothered.....I don't have to agree with it, and I don't.....but if they are trying to win, ok will enjoy those games too I guess.

DD

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. DJ

DJ Member

Why do you have Tate in the lineup over KJ Martin?

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wall has not been good for a while (4-5 years), though still better than Westbrook. Doubtful he's the best Rocket though may be the best PG. As long as Rockets play a reasonable lineup, they are likely going to be competitive against bad teams (Rockets bottom 5 is better than other bad teams bottom 5).

#46 Joe Joe, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  7. conquistador#11

These should be games where you experiment with different things, maybe give Nix a start or seven and play Wood at the 3

8. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Alperun
    Garuba
    KJ
    Green
    Nix

Let's run it 28 mpg ..

Mathloom and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Message to Silas: Your life next year will be much easier and your job security much more ensured if you play the youngsters these last few games. No need to play Gordon and Schroder 30 minutes a game….this is a great chance to see how guys like Fernado, Garuba, and Nix are in real games. This is what teams with a chance at the worst record and 8 games remaining typically do. Jabrari Smith is a life changing pick for the future of the Rockets.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

Imanimal likes this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

See... thats just dumb as hell imo... why would you put out there the notion that Ego cant play both ends of back to backs... we're lowering his perceived value imo... saying he's on the downturn...
    Imo... shoulda just played him consistently like 20 mins this year... keep his legs fresh = enhanced per 36... but you're limiting his minutes bc obviously you're rebuilding and need to evaluate the yung'uns...
    We need to focus on inflating the perceived value of our assets... thats part of the game...
    imo.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I am starting to see this. Silas is being a pushover to save face with vets for when he gets canned and has to go back to assistant coaching

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Silas has always been a pushover for veterans. No doubt if Stone hadn’t stepped in regarding Wall, Silas would have played him 35 minutes a night directly undercutting KPJ and Greens minutes. Christopher would not even get a chance to play all year.

hakeem94 and clos4life like this.
  14. futilman

futilman Member

No wood, EG, Schroeder….we did it Joe!

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So instead of trading Gordon for a pick to a contender and give him a shot at a ring we just bench him for the rest of the season….

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

that makes a lot of sense...hes also probably paid by the agents to play the favorites and get a % of the next contract and returning the favor to those that did favors to his father...