1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lower Back Pain and Stiffness - Help with Chair Purchase and Exercise Selection

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Apr 11, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Had my L5-S1 removed many years ago and its not stable (avoiding fusion) so occasionally I have back pain. I finally splurged on a Steelcase Leap V2. I bought it from a Steelcase dealer in Huntsville (HBI Office Solutions, Inc.) that supplies chairs to local businesses and SHSU. Really good pricing and you get to actually try the chairs (versus buying on-line). You can find refurbed chairs for around $500.

The HM chairs (like Aeron and Embody) are also worth the investment. I briefly looked at some of the knock-offs (like the Autonomous which I think is about $350) that look like they may also be good but I decided for the additional money the two brands that most major corporations use was the safer purchase.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

https://www.mensjournal.com/gear/review-the-steelcase-leap-is-the-home-office-chair-your-back-needs/

saitou and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I bought one 2nd hand teeter to try, but find the benefit isn't worth the blood rush to the head/discomfort, and the space the table takes up.

Lately I just hang off a pull-up bar (no need to do the pull-up, just try to hang for a minute) to get 70%-80% similar type of relief/decompression. Added benefit of strengthening back if you activate the back muscles while hanging.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yoga and CBD from a reputable supplier.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hi @JayZ750, just wanted to ask, are you still happy with your Uplift Desk? I ordered one which is due to arrive in a few days. And do you just sit or stand in front of it, or have you also considered getting something like a walking pad in front of it? I have just ordered this:

https://www.walkolution.com/products/mtd900-kybun-soft-surface-treadmill-only

The cheaper version I have had in my office in Germany for a while now (and which does the job) is this: https://www.sport-tiedje.de/en/darwin-treadmill-walking-pad-df-wp

Hopefully using those a lot will help to stay healthier.

They say sitting is the new smoking, so...

Next week, I will attend an event around longevity, with Laird Hamilton, Matthew Walker, etc. Should be interesting.

#24 AroundTheWorld, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah the uplift desk is still great. I switch between standing and sitting. I still do more sitting than standing but it’s nice after an hour or two to switch to standing for 15-20 minutes.

My wife keeps telling me to add some kind of treadmill or exercise equipment. Let me know if you land on one that is great.

I still haven’t found a solid chair though. I bought a highly reviewed but value (so fair not crazy expensive price) Amazon one that mimic’d the more expensive ones … but it hurt lol.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Had a trainer who said the muscle groups were all related. If you're sitting all day, also incorporate stretching the glutes in your end of work routine. It's as simple as lying flat, bend your knees at an 45 degree angle, cross one knee over the other, and grab the inner thigh of that knee.

Just a reminder that these routines along with the ones posted are generally neglected, but can reduce the load of sitting for hours. We dump billions into surgery then insurance allows PT, but it would save everyone tons of money if regular training was covered by insurance, such as the first 20 hours.

For standing desks, I've noticed I've leaned forward over time. Getting and installing an arm for your monitors can help with posture issues. Though working on those exercises will ultimately help reset what you put your body through the day

7. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I had lower back issues from disks for a couple years. It would go out every couple months. It even happened from getting a massage at one point and stretching another time. When it happened I would get horrible spasms and couldn't even stand up on my own. Went to doctor and ended up telling me to go to physical therapy. They basically said I needed to strengthen my glutes and adductor/abductors. They said the muscles would help support the back. They gave me stretches like people have said with leg over the knee. I did those for a couple weeks but then just started using the adductor/abductor machines at the gym a couple times a week. I am now about 3 years clear of any issues. It helped tremendously. I am still careful doing squat and deadlift but things that used to trigger it are not an issue at all anymore.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

9. body slam

body slam Member

Inversion table tip if you are not use to using them don't start off hanging up side down. Start a little past 90 degrees and gradually work your way down.