1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

No Chaney is coming back. He has already said he was. I wouldn’t be surprised if he started next year. But either he or Roberts will

if walker is who folks think he is, he is that 5. I mentioned previously he isn’t 6’10 but he’s a damn rock and plays way bigger than he actually is

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That was painful. Defense kept them in the game despite shooting terribly. I really thought they were going to find a way to grit out a win when they cut it to 4 late. But they just couldn't buy a bucket...including uncontested 3s. It goes that way sometimes. Ugh.

seemoreroyals and Andre0087 like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Villanova, Duke, NC and Kansas really gonna be the final 4. Ugh.

Aware likes this.
  4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely great season!
    I read some of you complaining about Sampson (mostly in game adjustments) and I'd like to say you guys are full of ****! Absolute hammered flaming dog ****. Sampson is the best thing that has happened to this program since Olajuwon - maybe forever. No matter what warts.

Nook, Aware and YOLO like this.
  5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And speaking of Olajuwon, he was at the game. Had worse seats than I did. I don't understand that. I bought tix online at 2:00. He also left before the game was actually over.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You can’t expect to win when you shoot like James Harden in a big game

7. H. Christopher

@HP3 Frauden sucks

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’ll see all of you in Houston next year

Go Coogs!

9. Beavis Stiffler

Too soon, dude. It was 27 missed 3’s in a row by the way but who’s counting. The difference was the Rockets had a double digit lead in the 2nd half while the Cougars had not gotten a lead for the whole game last night.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Agreed, they need to get a big from the portal.

Not sure how much we'll be able to play two 6' 1" guards at the same time against certain matchups.

As for Mark, I'm not sure that adding a horrific shooter to a bad shooting team is really an improvement. Though he does give them some badly needed size in the backcourt.

Walker is going to have to be who everyone thinks he is. The real wild card, to me, is Arceneaux. He's a top 70 player nationally. If he can produce then that would be huge.

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Losing the 2 guys killing our depth in the backcourt finally caught up with us yesterday. Edwards had no legs and we needed Sasser and Mark's playmaking skills yesterday to score the way we were struggling on offense.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Basically that was the game in a nutshell.

We had zero ability to create, and the only guy who managed to create was our worst finisher/shooter so what we got out of it wasn't pretty.

What astounded me is that early in the game Carlton clearly had an advantage and we abandoned him after just 2 bad possessions.

By the time we went back to him our guards had shot us into a hole so deep the post game wasn't an option for a rally anymore.

Sampson really **** the bed on that. He let the game slip away without so much as a timeout to reorient the offense away from what clearly wasn't working.

I was expecting us to come out in the 2nd half and go into epic hyper mega slow it down grind it out mode. Instead we came out flailing and chucking.

13. Aware

Aware Member

whats funny is that nova was just as bad as us offensively
    if they weren't the best free throw shooting team of all time, i think we find a way to pull it out

DonnyMost likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

the size doesn't really matter in the backcourt. not in college, especially when the guards here are defensive minded

Nook likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He was being his usual humble self

16. aelliott

Against most teams yes, against the better teams it can.

If you're playing man and the other team has big athletic guards it certainly can matter. Especially if the opponent can shoot well enough so that the floor is spread and helping is more difficult. Also, Shead and Sasser both put in effort at the defensive end but neither is really a high end individual defender.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

the college game has a lack of floor spacing no matter who youre playing. Shead is without a doubt a high end individual defender. In fact hes elite.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that problem will be matchup dependent. If it doesn't work, we have options with Mark and Sharp.

The question is how the offense will work with two ball dominant PGs on the floor at the same time, obviously not leaving room for more scorers on the floor.

Sampson is going to have to pay very close attention to his guard rotation to maximize their output.

19. aelliott

Sasser isn't a true PG. He's really a 6'1" shooting guard. Though I agree that he's ball dominant.

The missing piece is still a big physical presence in the middle.

20. aelliott

There's less floor spacing in college but there are teams that space the floor very well. This year's Gonzaga team is a great example.

Shead plays hard on defense but he's not a great individual defender. None of UH guards are great individual defenders. UH relies on team defense with a whole lot of double teams. Their defensive success is much more about effort than talent.