1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unbelievable news-- Cato to participate in summer league!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jul 9, 2001.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I can't see that he'd have that much trade value right now anyway!
    The best thing that he could do is swat the shots back from a bunch of NBA wannabees to show that he is a legitimate shot blocker - then some mad GM may think that they just HAVE to have him because of his usefulness as a lane protector in the zone.

------------------

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

LOL Mobster! Talk about sucking the life and dollars out of a franchise! If this guy could come back and score 10 points, 6 rebounds, and block 2 shots a game and play about 25 to 30 minutes I wouldn't harp on his contract. But the guy shows no heart. And it's pathetic because you know the guy can play, he showed flashes of it, especially in training camp a few seasons ago, but the Rockets gave him that contract, and the light just went out in the attic and the guy kicked it into cruise control. Now everybody wants to take a bat to him. He better have one awesome training camp, that's all I know, and it better carry over to a good season next year!

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

The only logical reason I can think Cato is playing is because he wants a contract extension!
    Honestly I think this is a good thing, I personally despise the man but I am happy he is playing.
    You may never hear this from me, but...

Great Job CATO!!!

4. RocketFuel

RocketFuel Member

<<The rest of the team will consist of free agents: guards Saul Smith of Kentucky, Senecca Wall of Sam Houston and Darren Kelly of Texas, forwards Alex Jensen of Utah and Omar Sneed of Memphis, and guard/forward Oscar Torres of the Venezuelan national team.>>
    This has nothing to do with Cato but I was very happy to see Senecca Wall of Sam Houston on that list. I am a senior at Sam and I write B-ball/football for our paper the Houstonian, Senecca definantly deserves to be there.

------------------
    "Beer, the cause and solution to all life's problems."-Homer Simpson

5. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Ditto, Rocketfuel.

------------------

6. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Why are we so surprised when a player making $6-7 million a year actually shows up to play?

oh, I forgot.......its Cato!!

[​IMG]

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Senecca Wall tore up the Southland conference with "Francisesque" type numbers. He was big on the boards, and could score seemingly at will.

Wouldn't it be cool if he made a roster spot somewhere? Too bad he is trying to make Houston's squad, a guard loaded team. Although, Colson made it last year.

This summer league give Cato the perfect opportunity to get his desired season ending injury. Good luck Kelvin!!!!!

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

8. The Rocket Guy

About time somebody asked Cato to do SOMETHING. I think the best thing that could happen to Cato is for us to get David Robinson (Rox offered 3 years, 30 million). Hakeem may be beyond his rookie-harassing years, but David is not. David took Duncan under his wing and helped him become a star. Maybe he can do something with Cato.

Tall task, I know. Duncan actually CARED about playing ball.

Unfortunately I think the talk of David is a smoke screen to wake up the Spurs and get them to pay him what he's worth.

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

</A> "You try to improve and do better. It's a journey, not just the destination." - Hakeem Olajuwon

9. Lewie221

Lewie221 Member

Stupid dog....I love the smell of doughnuts and weed. = )

------------------
    The Rockets Championship in 2001...Be-Steve-it

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Does anyone know if Griffin punching Cato in a Summer League game counts as bad behavior?

11. haven

haven Member

Griffin punching Cato would be the coolest thing on earth. We could all breathe a sigh of relief, our expectations would be fulfilled, and best of all: nobody in the entire Rockets organization would care.

Kelvin Cato: Mr. Dawson, Eddie punched me!

CD: About ******* time, Kelvin. Make sure you thank him for me.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

12. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

If Griffin punches Cato in the face, does Jim Boylen put him to sleep. Oh, wait.......that is when dog injures man. I had it backwards.

------------------

[This message has been edited by B-ball freak (edited July 10, 2001).]

13. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

If Griffin punches Cato, then Cato will be out for the entire season. Can't let that happen. Plus, Cato will go into a deep depression because he got blood on his Gucci wear. [​IMG]

------------------
    "...Do you hear 'em? They're everywhere!!! AAAHHH!!!"

That's what the other teams will be saying after being shellshocked by Steve Francis and Co.

14. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I think Cato could be dominate in the summer league. That said, maybe the Rockets are trying to show him off to would be trading partners. Maybe a couple of games with 5 or 6 blocks will get some short-sided GM to take a chance. Or maybe Cato is serious about working on his game........BWAHAHAHA!!!

------------------
    Fret for your figure and
    Fret for your latte and
    Fret for your hairpiece and Fret for your lawsuit and Fret for your prozac and Fret for your pilot and Fret for your contract and Fret for your car.
    TOOL-Aenema

15. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!

I know why Cato is playing.

RUDY told him that if he didnt Jim Boylen would bring his other dog over to Cato's house for a visit and that this dog hated the smell of donuts and weed.

------------------
    Reporter asks "How close were you to the victim?" Shorty says,"Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left." Shorty - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Numero uno when looking at Cato is what kind of shape he's in.I'm eager to hear about this,as he put on weight after his injuries.Hopefully we'll see him lean and mean.I want to see the slobbering madman......Thats a place to start.Check his desire,his shape,and,fluidity out there.We'll see.

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham