1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official C-Wood as building block thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 20, 2022.

1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Jabari Smith PF 6'10" 220 pounds
    Chet Holmgren C 7'0" 195 pounds
    Paolo Banchero PF 6'10" 250 pounds
    Jalen Duren C 6'10" 250 pounds

Christian Wood C/PF 6'10 214 pounds
    Alperun Sengun C 6'10" 243 pounds

If any of those dudes are picked in the top 5, and they all could be, it's more than likely in the NBA they will HAVE to play C, with the exception of maybe Smith. And I will admit that I don't know anything about any of their games. I'm just going on height and weight measurements and knowing how fast players are in the NBA compared to college.

I'm with you though with playing Sengun and Wood together. I wish we would start with these last games of the season and play them both 35 minutes a game together no matter what the outcome.

2. BonziWellsGOAT

I sat
    I stand by everything I said. Wood gobbles up lots of uncontested rebounds and often fights other Rockets for them. His contested rebound rate is awful for a big man and he very seldom gives second effort. You can say he sets screens if he slips every one of them. The only way the slip works is if you set a real screen sometimes. Also there is an effective way to play inside as a big man in the pick and roll and pull your defender. Wood often directly stands between the guard and an otherwise open lane to the basket. If you want to just box score watch that's fine but you don't watch the games. There's no way

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  3. FANfrom86toNow

First you are making a false statement that I am justifying or using as a barometer the FO as a means of saying its their way or its incorrect. I never said that and you know it. I actually said that this is one time I'm glad they are not with the Clutchfans contingency. I personally don't have much faith in the front office. I made the point to say that he is more likely to be here than not. What you are trying to make as my argument is not true and a deflection from facts.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is an example of it. It's just another one of the horrible FO views and decisions.

5. FANfrom86toNow

What is is contested rebound rate compared to the other 11 people in the NBA that rebound more than he does?

Accusing me of box score watching only is disingenuous at best because I have already stated that I watch over 90% of the games and have done so since 1986, and I have also given reasons for my positions that have nothing to do with box scores or stats. But you also can't just ignore stats either in a game that is determine who is the champion by the number one stat of final score.

6. FANfrom86toNow

That is not an example of me "using the FO to justify" anything. It is me making a statement that it is one of the time the FO disagrees with the consensus of Clutchfans. I'm not sure since you are sticking to your guns on your claim that you can understand the subtle difference here.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure it is. you literally just used it in your post. There's no need to mention the FO as some back up then if your intention isn't used to justify your logic

you could easily just say I view Wood has a future piece. Not, well the FO agrees with me and not a number of CF's.

8. FANfrom86toNow

Where has he said this at? Or is this just another talking point or platitude made up on Cluchfans that doesn't represent any actual words that have come out of his mouth?

ashleyem likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

his actual words out of his mouth has said before he views himself as max. or did you miss that because it was posted directly for you and conveniently brushed it aside

10. FANfrom86toNow

I'll try to help you understand that difference once more. I already said, without any mention of the FO that I think he is a building block, not a franchise player. And I gave those reasons why.

I said the FO sees him as a future piece and therefore he will probably be here anyway, and I'm glad that they agree with me and not most of Clutchfans.

In no way does that second statement have anything to do with why I think he is a building block. It is simply a statement saying that the FO sees him that way also and therefore he will probably be here whether the haters like it or not.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

The FO agreeing with makes no difference. You're using it as backup to your logic. that's the point.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

As crazy as it may sound, I think we aren’t really that far away from returning to playoff contention. The biggest problem is Silas. Dude inherited a veteran team last season and went on to lose 20 straight games. He wanted 5 out offense and we tailor made the lineup. We decided to forgo LeVert for Oladipo because of him but he has failed miserably. I know it wasn’t the best lineups in the world but losing 20 games in a row with a veteran team with John Wall, Oladipo, Eric Gordon and Christian Wood was inexcusable. He should have been fired after last season. OKC this season is literally playing G-league players and still has a better record than us. That’s how bad Silas is.

I believe once we get rid of Silas and KPJ and bring in a real coach and a true point guard, things will look much smoother. We are not that far away. I have been a Rocket fan since 2004 and been through ups and downs. I can confidently say that this team has some really talented players. They just need a good mentor and more time to develop. It would be extremely stupid to panic sell Wood for some meaningless mid first round pick.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  13. FANfrom86toNow

Every players says that in some context. That's the only way that you can have confidence if you want to be a great player. But where is the exact quote so I can also see the context? Just saying he said it and not when and in what interview is not proof. I'm not saying he didn't say it, I'm saying I haven't seen it. And saying that you "view yourself as a max player" isn't the same as "I won't accept anything but a max contract". The first means that you believe you have the potential to become that. The evidence that he knows he isn't a current max player is the exact contract that he actually signed with us, not some confidence statement he said when asked in an interview, maybe if what you said exists.

14. FANfrom86toNow

No you still can't logically see that I said it to say that he will probably be here no matter what because of the FO. I don't need the FO to validate the arguments I made. I did that with his play on the court, talent and stats.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

no not every player says it. The exact quote was posted in this thread and directed specifically at you. You obviously overlooked it conveniently like i said. you obviously have the issue with if it isn't going along with your agenda you're pushing nothing else applies. Reality doesn't work that way

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

His play on the court, talent, stats prove very little. Unless you're a fan of losers, maybe you are and don't understand the difference, which seems to be the case

and yeah when you have to bring up the FO when it isn't even necessary, you're using it as validation. But the FO isn't anywhere close to something relevant rn as a means for justification

17. FANfrom86toNow

This! I see Silas as a much bigger problem than Wood on our team. Well, honestly I don't see Wood as a problem at all, so there's that. But the coaching is horrendous. And the decisions made to take Oladipo when they should have keep Allen, LeVert and gotten DinWiddie, even if they moved them later, those front office decisions really hurt us imho. They can recover, but to me we would have been better off.

ashleyem likes this.
  18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Literally he defeated all your points and you still claim he doesn't watch games, and, as that poster pointed out, your initial post was filled with self-contradicting nonsense.

I expect you do watch games, but here's what's happening -- confirmation bias. You don't like Wood, so when you see him do something you don't like, you think all he does is stuff you don't like. Don't stress, we're all guilty of it from time to time. But don't delude yourself into thinking that you're not suffering from it now, because your grand proclamations simply don't match reality.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  19. FANfrom86toNow

What is wrong with you? You really aren't saying anything. How old are you? Is this your technique for debating or discussing things? I'm asking sincerely.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

I've said plenty. Once again, since it doesn't fit your agenda it doesn't apply. It's the same song and dance in this thread since you started posting