1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Not trading Gordon is one of our biggest failures this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Mar 23, 2022.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The idea of keeping him around and not taking a 1st pick for at the deadline just keeps looking worse by the game. He was playing good ball and was healthy up to the deadline. Now he’s playing uninspiring ball and just taking minutes away from the young guys in a tanking season.

To have any chance at salvaging this blunder, we need to shut him down and hope we can move him before the draft.

2. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

I feel for him. He deserved better than staying here. Like the Warriors or even the Pistons.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Can't wait to see the poo poo platter the rockets get for EG for making this idiotic mistake again

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I don’t understand why they have him playing these last few games. He looks checked out. They need to shut him down for the rest of the season. The same with Schroeder whose not apart of the Rockets future.

ilias, BigMaloe, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Stone didn't want a late first in this year's weak draft. fair enough, only if he gets a better pick for him over the summer or at next deadline.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

FO overrates our players more than this board on a two game winning streak.

They could get FRPs but want guaranteed provisions or a salary dump.

How about take the extra effort from a scrub team and start packaging those assets for the off-season ahead?

Now we just say all shucks at the deadline and RESET for the offseason.

Short term minded losers.

All expectations with their hyped up BS. No hustle

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Guys, they lied about the first

Richie_Rich, BigMaloe, vator and 7 others like this.
  8. jacoby

jacoby Member

There's a reason not a single team would offer up a future 1st from a later draft. We aren't getting that this off-season either. So either Stone accepts less value for him or we get no real offers and he suits up next season for us.

ak99999 likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Rockets didn't get much of an offer for him and a later round first in this draft is really nothing. I also don't think he wants to be traded but he should be.

Rockets need to send him to a good team out of respect. And I also think the fans need to realize that this rebuild is going to take longer than they realize.

Alpy, and JC still have a ways to go before being able to contribute in a way to make this team competitive. Same is true for Green. And KPJ has a ways to go as well.

jim1961 likes this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

$19 million next year
    $20 million in 2023-24 non guaranteed.

We can still get an asset for him. Chill.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Thankfully his contract is still friendly but we run the risk of an aging injury prone player getting hurt and losing even more value. We should have sold at his highest value at the deadline

slothy420, BigMaloe, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

There was no buyers. Why would there be? Gordon’s age and health, just because he was having a good season doesn’t erase all the other times missed. As a GM how would you “sell” him to your boss and fan base for the cost of a FRP?

jim1961 likes this.
  13. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

the taking minutes from young guys thingy is overblown. Players develop skill in practice, not games, and we are still in last place, so its not like hie's ruining our tanking.

its clear that we didn't receive any offers that we liked so we can still trade him, we didn't wannt to take back any bad contracts for the sake of a low first round pick, we already have enough picks and young players so that low pick doesn't do anything. and to say that he hurts the development of our young guys development isn't true. he spaces the floor for everyone, giving them room to drive, room to shoot. he can box out big men when obviously wood can't. who else is going to do it? basically him and sengun.

i don't think its all bad keeping him around either. He may want to stay in houston and resign at a good price. but if the lakers want him this summer i'm sure he's available.

TheFreak likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its casualty of tanking.... when you tank you destroy the value of all your assets (lowering trade value of vets and stunting development of rookies because you have to play vets more because their value is lower) so much so, the top pick you get can never make up for it...and a 2nd lost season in a row... i dont count these 2 seasons as basketball... probably most teams scrimmages look more competitive than this shiteshow
    TANKING NEVER WORKS

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

couldn't be more wrong.... real life(competitive games) application of the skills practiced(use of the knowledge) improves the learning and makes the learning stick.....

16. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

just don't reply to my posts any more sir, you have become annoying, saying you are right all the tiem, we are free to have opinnions. and yes real life application of having a spacer like gordon helps green, sengun, wood, kpj, thesew are the young guys we are developing. Who are you speaking about? christopher? If christopher can't beat gordon out for minutes he's not good enough and i'm a big jaygup fan. i hope you aint talkign about nix. who is gordon hurting the development of?

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If I was an owner and my GM ever said something along the lines of “we don’t want late first round picks” in a draft ever, to me that’s a fireable offense.

You take as many draft picks as you can get as high as you can get them.

To me this stinks of cockiness that Stone thinks he’s a genius for finding guys like Anthony Lamb undrafted. Therefore he’s too smart and talented to need late first round picks or 2nd rounders.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

They're going to try to use them to move up in the draft, I get that.

What I don't get is why in the holy f*ck they are in the rotation. Gordon needs to be given a nice vacation he deserves and Wood is just not gaining or giving anything important.

I'm not panicking though, I think they will gradually phase them out as we end the season and especially when we might win a game.

joshuaao likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The rotation IS really confusing. There was a time when I thought Silas' hand was forced into playing Wood and Gordon a lot because Houston was trying to do its best in showcasing them for the trade deadline. That came and went and, somehow, we're still playing these guys. I can understand why Silas would want to play Wood because he's the only guy on the team that's tall but Gordon? Like, why? You have KJ, Mathews, JC, hell even Schroder to trot out there. Is it out of respect for a vet? If so, the highest level of respect would have been to trade him to a contending team back at the trade deadline.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think an early 2nd is preferable to a late first because the first gets guaranteed money. Isn’t that really the issue here? Why commit now to paying some unknown rookie next year especially if the draft is weak. I would think most owners would agree.

Corrosion likes this.