1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shandon to Dallas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 8, 2001.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why do you keep coming up with Lopez or some other guys?? We have Morris (defense) and Langhi (offense) to play the backup 2 - no need for ANYONE else.

2. drpepper

drpepper Member

Haven, there are two reasons for me liking Nate James. 1) He would come at a very affordable price, which would give us more $$$$ to beat out other teams in FA. 2) I saw him play alot last year (I admit I'm a Duke fan) and was impressed with his game. He was coached for a couple of years by one of the best there is in the sport. He's got good fundamentals and plays well in big(championship) games. He does what Shandon is supposed to do, he just needs some PT on a decent team to prove it. That second round idiocy proves nothing. There are alot of good players in the NBA that are 2nd rounders as well as players that weren't drafted.If he proved to you he's a legit rotation player, thats great, but he signed here as a player that was ready to start. Two years later, he still isn't ready. He has alot of trouble on his handle and his shot still needs work. There is no way to justify him making 4-6 mill. with that much improvement still pending. He was avg. like 8 pts in 30 min per game. Thats pretty weak. And correct me if I'm wrong , but isn't SA a former 2nd rounder. [​IMG]

------------------

3. Milos

Milos Member

Exactly Det...although it has been mentioned many times before, some people seem to have missed it. We have a 3 guard rotation already with Steve, Cat, and Mooch. The Rockets WILL NOT sign another backcourt player if Mooch resigns. That means no Lopez, no Nate James, or anyone else.

------------------

4. Mr. T

Mr. T Member

somebody tell Cuban to stop talking that jibba jabba bout signin' Shandon... he needs to go back to losing old ladies' money and leave the basketball to his coaches

------------------
    "I find that the harder I work... the more luck I have" -- Thomas Jefferson
    "Weezie !!" -- George Jefferson

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

With the # of minutes these 3 will play, they will all miss a few games next year. In that case we will need to have a fourth guard to fill in for whoever is injured. I'm not talking about CBA garbage either. Remember there are 12 roster spots: at least 4 of them should be guards.

I'm thinking along the lines of a Jimmy Jackson type of player- a guy who can come off the bench and give the offense a boost. I think ya'll are forgetting that Mobley is still very streaky, and can be erratic at times. Jackson is 6'6 and can swing to the 3 if we want to go small. It's important to have versatile players like that. Jackson is IMHO better shooter and slasher than Shandon and is probably seeking a multiyear deal around $3 million per.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

6. drpepper

drpepper Member

Baqui, I would support any move that would bring in Jim Jackson. The dude can shoot and knows the game.

------------------

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley has missed a grand total of 5 games in his past 3 years. I think 2 of those were for the birth of his child.

Personally, I think a 3rd PG (even a guy like Colson) is a higher priority than a backup SG. If Mobley goes down, Langhi, Morris, and Francis can all play the PG minutes, and that doesn't include a guy like Walt. If Francis were to go out, we have no other possible PG not named Moochie.

As far as Jim Jackson, no chance. If you're a veteran, where are you going to sign-a club like the Lakers, Spurs, or Heat, who need swingmen, and would open up a starting slot for you, or play minutes for a young team with Francis and Mobley already at the guards, and 3 guys at the SF.

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

My suggestion regarding Felipe Lopez was more aimed at Shandon's minutes at shooting guard. I would really like to have 4 guards if Shandon leaves and I didn't think Morris
    could play shooting guard. Without Shandon, we would have to rely on Walt for a lot of
    shooting guard minutes, and I would rather have someone who plays defense do that.

After Cat was a starter, Shandon had almost zero minutes at shooting guard. Moochie has earned his minutes, and for him to get them Steve will be the backup two. We can project Morris, Langhi, Walt, or whoever at backup SG as much as you want, but when it comes down to the regular season they will not see very many minutes there, except in blowouts.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Not to defend Shandon Anderson or anything, but you guys act like everybody but Shandon Anderson stops Kobe Bryant. Nobody has stopped Kobe yet, so why is everyone harping on Shandon's defense? I love Cuttino, I defend the guy regularly, but Kobe lights him up like a christmas tree to, it happens. Granted Shandon's offense isn't that greatest, no defending that, but the guy's defense is much better then people give him credit for. You're talking about the same Kobe Bryant that averaged 37 ppg in the regular season last year against "long armed defensive stopper" Derek Anderson. You're also talking about the same Kobe Bryant that went bonkers against one of the top 3 defensive guards in the league, if not THE best, in Doug Christie in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Shandon isn't the only culprit. Nobody has stopped Kobe yet, it's going to take defense by committee to do that, and I think Shandon is a good start myself.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 10, 2001).]

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Dan Langhi the point eh?

So Nike, do you think that the Rockets would want to keep Colson?

------------------

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DrN,

The Rockets have said they want a 3rd PG on the roster for practice sessions. This is the only way they can practice the Moochie, Francis, Mobley lineup and have a legitimate PG to play on the scout squad.

They Rockets will have a 3rd PG. He likely won't see any minutes barring injury, but they need him for the scout squad, unless Calvin is willing to help.

Really though, he should confidence in garbage time. He is a little freaking Tyrone Lue out there.

12. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

My records show one game for the birth of his child and then one game 9 mos. before for taking it to her.

13. Shandon Anversen

RocksMill...

please read my post above yours.

would you rather see:

KOBE V. SHANDN: kobe 40, shandn 8

or

KOBE V. CAT: kobe 45, cat 25

?

and since when did derek anderson become a defensive stopper? people in san antonio - ALL YEAR LONG - have complained about derek's defense.

dude was lit up repeatedly last year. he may have the tools, but he DID NOT apply them. show me an example of this prowess from DA.

------------------
    here's a verse:

hating this name is a full time job for me;
    shandon in the nba is highway robbery!

14. SMZ

SMZ Member

Why does every one think koby can`t be stopped man you take shaq foo foo away and he will culapse just like pippen use too with out MJ.With out shaq la never wins the championship you put koby with let`s say mutombo they don`t win the champioship.I really think koby is over rated put him on another team and every one will see another pip.

------------------

NEXT YEAR WILL KICK THA SON OF A B**** DOWN ... ... ...

15. Shandon Anversen

ummm, no.

kobe can create his own shot.
    pippen never could.

kobe can take over a game.
    pippen takes over for the other team.

kobe is a better one-on-one defender NOW than pippen ever was.

kobe has shown the ability to be a team leader.
    pippen has shown the ability to be a team cancer.

kobe has too much ability and just needs to harness it.
    pippen was an offensive opportunist and overachiever (offensively w/mj).

kobe helped shaq win the championship by relieving pressure.
    pippen helped mj win championships by fondling mj's package...thus relieving pressure.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

kobe is a better one-on-one defender NOW than pippen ever was.

I agree with some points, but not this one. While we all hate Scottie, he was a great defensive player in the Bulls championship years. Does anyone remember his performances when Phil put him on Mark Jackson in the playoffs? Furthermore, he had Luc Longley behind him in the middle. Kobe, in terms of defensive ability, really is pretty similar in one on one defense to Vince Carter and Steve Francis, two players that are criticized for not being good defenders. Kobe has the luxury of being aggressive, going for steals, and similar things because he has Shaq behind him to wipe away any mistakes. If you put Vince or Stevie on a team with Shaq, you'd be surprised how many people regarded them as excellent defenders. This is off topic I realize, but it should be pointed out that Kobe isn't near the one on one defender that people make him out to be.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

17. SMZ

SMZ Member

YOU win {SHANDON ANVERSON} STILL would bet if koby was on any other team with out shaq he would win jack.You kow what i bet if you put any other gd in the starting line up in la i bet la still wins the championship what you think ?pip and koby are two of akind?

------------------

NEXT YEAR WILL KICK THA SON OF A B**** DOWN ... ... ...

18. The Rocket Guy

I can't agree that Kobe is an excellent one-on-one defender. AS much as I hate Pip, he was a great defender when he was in Chicago, one on one or otherwise.

I think a couple of y'all drove this home very well, but if Riley or Cuban think Shandon is a Kobe stopper, they didn't watch any Lakers/Rockets games this year. I remember vividly how Shandon was all over Kobe and Kobe still put up 30+ points on him every time. He just shot right over the top of the smaller Shandon. The other thing is, Shandon doesn't make anyone work on their defense. All you have to do is step back and let him air out a three - if he'll even take the shot.

And come on, GRIFF is our new starting SF.

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

</A> "You try to improve and do better. It's a journey, not just the destination." - Hakeem Olajuwon

19. Shandon Anversen

hmmm, the more i think about it...

i'll clarify the kobe defender/pip defender thing.

i don't think pip was a GREAT one on one defender by any stretch. he was, however, a great, great, great TEAM defender.

kobe, in my opinion, is a better one on one defender, however that may (probably) be due to having the diesel behind him.

it's true that pip did not have a gr8 defender behind him, and was still a serviceable one on one defender and a great (3x) team defender.

kobe's team defense, IMO, is what is *seriously* lacking. if he'd play the passing lanes, and shadow a tad more, his game would improve even more.

so, on 2nd thought, PIP probably is the better defender for "the team" which is most important anyways....

------------------
    here's a verse:

hating this name is a full time job for me;
    shandon in the nba is highway robbery!

20. T-POOH

T-POOH Member

Agree 110%. Pippen is truly one of the best one on one defenders of the era. Possibly the best.

------------------
    RIP HOOP-T