1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assessing the trade value of the Rockets players in terms of this Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

couldn’t agree with you more. If Green and Sengun are the two cornerstones, Christopher and KJ are 2a and 2b. They aren’t untouchable but as a rebuilding team they aren’t guys you want to part with for anything less than a lotto pick, and in this draft they are both better than anyone you’d get in the late lotto.

KJ is a year away from winning over clutch fans as an important building block piece. He’s made good use of his limited minutes and took another step this year. Imagine if he got the opportunity KPJ has had for these two seasons. I think next year he’s gonna push for starters minutes. He’s a legit talent.

you know there’s nothing wrong with betting on a couple of players to develop. Our problem is that we are betting on the wrong guys (Wood and KPJ - talent is there but heart, IQ and ego a problem) when we should be betting on Christopher and KJ.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The reverse question is an interesting one too. If these guys were on another team, what Rockets picks would you offer for them?

For instance, I’d give the Nets pick for Sengun, a second for Tate and KMJ. I’m not sure I’d trade for KPJ—at most it’d be a late second.

I don’t see anyone letting us a flip the cheap fixer-upper that is Wood for a nice riverside mansion and I wouldn’t do it either.

Gordon’s a special case. He’s been a good soldier so you try to move him where he wants to go assuming it makes some sense for the organization—ideally taking back some big gambles instead of 65 cents on the dollar.

joshuaao, vator and Easy like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

I mentioned worst pick I'd give up is 20 which is pretty good, but he kind of is just a guy. He has clearly out performed his draft position and has a place in this league as a positive player, but the gap between his best case scenario and likely case scenario is not that big of a difference: 7th man off the bench playing a high energy, shot blocking, hit open 3s type of player.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If a healthy Anthony Davis was playing Christian Wood's minutes, we're significantly better. If you can find me 2 posters that disagree with this, we can continue the conversation.

Defense matters, it matters a lot.

5. alethios

alethios Member

Confirmed Jalen Green as the cornerstone building block of the Rockets future :D

KPJ - early 2nd (optimistic)
    Christian Wood - mid/late 1st
    Tate - keep the intangibles guy
    Eric G - mid/late 1st
    Alp - early/mid 1st
    KJM - late 1st/early 2nd
    Garry - early/mid 2nd

Of course, there would possibly be players to be named later in the trade, probably players to be bought out or traded as part of a larger trade package.

Aruba77 likes this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

Don't disagree and I'm a AD hater.

Disclaimer: I haven't followed the debate yall are having. Just saw that comment

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Which perspective is clutch asking ?

what I as a fan would have to get to be happy with trading them .. or what I think they are worth and other teams might trade them for ?

kpj - worth early second . I would prolly have to get a 12-20 pick to move him . Would likely want to move that pick to 2023 tho .

wood - worth mid first . I’d take any first and contract that ended within one year of his . Maybe even 2 seconds .

tate - worth early second . I don’t want to move him . But , grudgingly would for a mid first .

gordon likely worth a late first and I would take that for him . I think I also prefer more value in the future . I’d also let him go for a second if it was a destination he wanted to go to . We are likely taking back players too .

Alp value is prolly around the 8-10th pick this year . Depending on the board maybe to can trade him for the 6th and I’d be ok . Prolly don’t wanna trade him tho

Kmj value around 30-40 . I’d be ok moving him in that range . Depends on how the team is shaping up .

Gary - price is prolly 40-50th pick . Rather keep him at that price . Would trade for an early second depending on the board .

A large part in what I’m willing to move them for is how the rockets assess the board and how strong the draft is overall .

8. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

While I don't think anything out of the lottery is worth it for most of our players, I can see your points on these. I don't follow much college basketball at all due to time, so I mostly have to find out about college players during the draft and once they become pro. I don't read the college stuff on here unless it's in the garm. I didn't know who Jalen Green was until about about a week before the draft when I start looking into the potential draft picks more. While I know his name because of the discussions here, he could have been right beside me in a store and I would just ask if he played ball because of his height, not even knowing who he was.

With that being said, unless it is a lottery pick, I wouldn't trade any of our players except for Gordon for just a 1st rounder. And that's because he surely doesn't fit our timeline and he deserves to play on a team with at least the potential to compete for a strong playoff run or title. The rest, at least we know what we have and can build on if they work hard, whereas I see most draftees not panning out and it's more of a gamble with them not working out. I only hear about 6 to 10 players from this past years draft that everyone loves. I could be wrong about that though.

9. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Would flip --
    Wood, Tate, our Nets pick
    for the
    Blazers lottery pick + Nassir Little or something

...in a HEARTBEAT

Love Tate but he might not fit the 'timeline' :/

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Kevin Porter Jr. - 1st (20-30)

KPJ feels like an all or nothing type play. He’s either going to wash out or become an all star. I evaluate the opportunity to find out what he is in his final rookie contract year as worth a low 1st.

Christian Wood - 1st (10-15)

He will likely be the best center on the market beside Ayton. On a team with adequate defensive prowess, he’s a great scoring addition. Still young enough to contribute long term.

Jae'Sean Tate - 1st (20-30)

A jumper away from being a championship team role player.

Eric Gordon - 1st (15-20)

Proven championship elite level role player. Contract will be expiring-ish.

Alperen Sengun - 1st (Top 5)

Shown flashes of being a cornerstone type player. He’s similar in value to a 6-8 drafted pick, but has already proven he’s not a bust. For that reason, I’m only trading him for a player with higher upside and/or perhaps a more complete game.

As an example, if you could trade him for Ivey, you do it. But if the trade is for Keegan Murray…meh, I’d pass.

KJ Martin - 1st (15-20)

Really really like Martin. I’d only do this to “reset the contract clock”. Otherwise, just keep Martin and hope you can resign him to a team friendly long term deal.

Garrison Mathews - 1st (25-30)

Garrison represents a lot of the issue with trading our current prospects for “newer” prospects. We’re still so early in all of this that we don’t really know what we have. If you trade Garrison for his “value”, which is likely a early 2nd, are you really drafting a player you feel better about than him?

11. H. Christopher

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Until a month ago, late 2nd/

After? High lottery.

Bobbythegreat and H. Christopher like this.
  13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Kevin Porter Jr.(early 2nd)
    Christian Wood (mid first)
    Jae'Sean Tate (early 2nd)
    Eric Gordon (mid/late first)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Alperen Sengun (not for sale/trade)
    KJ Martin (not for trade)
    Garrison Mathews (not for trade)

Aruba77 and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

High lottery probably.

Honestly though, I don't think you could get proper compensation for the young guys on the team like Green, KPJ, Sengun, and KMJ so I really don't see a trade for any of them being a good idea.

Nook and H. Christopher like this.
  15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I would throw everything we had other than Jalen, alpy, gup, our own pick, and nets future picks. they can have wood, tate, #16, bucks '23 pick, gordon, matthews, all the seconds, coach Silas, whatever. none of that matters as much as the potential of Mathurin, Murray, Eason, Duren, etc...

16. hakeemthagreat

Lolololol. This is the stupidest post I've read in a long time. Compare Sengun's stats to the top 5-10 rookies THIS year and its laughable.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Right. It's tough with his past and some of the issues that have surfaced this season. You couldn't get value for his talent. I don't see a late first, especially once it is established in the order, as very expensive. I would consider trading him for an early second if some prospect I loved was sliding. It's tough to gauge KPJ's trade value, if there's any at all, because of those issues.

Aruba77, vator and ROXTXIA like this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

KPJ has so much talent but also a Dollar Store brain, and when he pulls that stop-and-pout under the basket.........god......damn, he just pissed on his trade value that much more.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the same time, there will be some boneheaded team that will pay him when he becomes a restricted free agent. They wouldn't give up a pick for him, but they would give him a contract - especially a team like the Lakers.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't see anyone giving up anything for Porter jr despite his talent. He's sweating bullets, he can subdue his demons but he can't tame them .... eventually they return and run amok.
    I doubt there would be a team offer him anything more than the mini MLE as a free agent. No one wants to commit to someone so unstable.

If the war inside my head won't take a day off I'll be dead .....

Wood is the enigma. He's a great offensive talent but has no desire to defend big men .... Silas needs to find a way to play him as a SF/3 instead of a 4/5 because he can defend guards and wings on the outside with some degree of effectiveness. That would create some crazy mismatches with the right players at the 4 and 5. They just aren't on this roster. I have grown to HATE how Christian Wood plays basketball.

Maybe a team that isn't a FA destination might pay a premium for him and his bird rights. That literally includes every team in the lottery 2-7 right now (Orlando, Detroit, OKC, Indy, Sacramento & Portland). Parlay Wood into a second top 7 pick ??? Maybe .... but if not at least two lotto protected #1's.

Tate - Is not for sale right now. Teams need those kind of effort players and he's dirt cheap the next year & RFA after that.
    I want to see what his next contract looks like before I consider moving him - even at full MLE money I think he's a bargain to most teams.

EG - To the Rockets he has little value as a player but his contract is valuable in that its the only one they have to move up to $23.3m in a trade. That may or may not be useful .... but assuming he remains healthy you can still trade him between now and the next deadline for an asset. Having the flexibility to make a big trade is worth more than the difference between the very late first round pick you could have gotten at the last deadline and whatever you may get between now and the next deadline. Late first to mid 2nd .... really depends upon what playoff teams think they need to put them over the top.

Sengun ... He has a lot of potential but I cannot see him playing long term as a 5. He gets abused by bigs. He's got to improve his 3 point shooting and perimeter defense to play the 4 spot .... or he won't get a 2nd contract. Mid to late first.

KJ has such a high ceiling, he's not for sale unless you pony up an early lotto pick. Otherwise I roll with him the next 2 years and see what he develops into - He's RFA in 2024. I have until then to make a decision.

luckyman76 and duluth111222 like this.