1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We don't have he top rated prospects anymore, but we do have some high upside guys nearly ready to make thir MLB debuts. It could be a quick jump start for a Cleveland Rebuild if they choose that route with the lottery making the draft less reliable. Pena looks good, Whitley shows promise, extra OF. And we have the Cap Space to take on dead weight.

I think we could have the pieces if things worked out.

everyday eddie and punkoholic like this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Everything I heard was at the time Correa still thought he could get a mega deal. So I have no new information from when the shorter deal became an option.

Maybe the expanded playoffs are part of it and they don't feel the need to spend now and can wait for the deadline to bolster the roster. Even though I think some teams passed up the Astros with their offseason moves, I don't see 6 teams better than them in the American League.

The McCullers' injury is such a downer for me it totally changes my outlook on the season.

As far as not spending in general... they have some key free agents next offseason with Brantley, Pressly, and Yuli plus significant payroll boosts with the raise to Bregman plus Javier, Alvarez, Tucker, and Urquidy all entering arbitration. I'm not surprised they haven't signed someone on a multi-year deal that would push them near the luxury tax. Go look at what closers are getting. Pressly could be looking for 14-16 million per year.

This did not come from the Astros organization but someone that knows them was speculating on whether Crane was considering selling the team. The value of the organization is up about 1.3 billion dollars since they bought it and he is a private equity guy... buy, grow, and flip

Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

MLB players pay their dues.

They play 1-4 years in the minors ( sometimes more) then 6-7 years in the majors making considerably less than more tenured players who could be significantly lesser producers with no choice where they play.

Carlos has been as good a player, leader, and representative of Houston and the Astros for the past 7 years as anyone could want.

I am disappointed that he signed with the Twins and wish him well.

I have no idea what happened or why he is no longer an Astro.

What I do know is that he chose to be a Twin and earned the right to make that choice.

I wish him well and will forget about him as I follow and root for the Astros

Thank you Carlos

Now I can't wait to see Jeremy Pena.

Here's hoping for another Astros World Series in 2022.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Uncle Charlie sure would look good sitting at the top of our rotation about now

5. The Beard

Any chance Crane has quietly started to consider selling the team and get out with his huge profit?

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are we sure we want that to happen?

Who knows who the next owners will be or if they care about winning that much.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I haven't heard that from anyone with the Astros but what @Redfish81 said does make some sense.

If you put a gun to my head I think the lack of concern by the Astros management is a combo of them having confidence in their scouting about Pena and their younger guys and the fact that they know they will have the finances to make a move when a player that they value is available at the trade deadline.

They did sign Verlander, but there is a real chance that McCullers has a wasted season; so it could be that the Astros management doesn't know if they will need a bat or a pitcher more.

The "upside" to Pena being good is also massive for the Astros, because they have him under financial control for many seasons at little cost. They have "gone young" with a number of players the last few years with lots of success.

There are also still some guys out there that could potentially help them on the trade market before the season begins.

8. CinematicFusion

Hope not, he’s a great owner. Best the Astros have had.

9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

We better hope the remaining 2017 team members stick around because there is a Click. I could see glimpses of Billy Bob and Nicky C type of work. We may say Correa will get traded by Minny before trading deadline this season. I think Click may trade all the 2017 players if the Stros lose in a division with A's (rebuilding) and Mariners (lost K.Seager).

10. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

ryan_98 and J.R. like this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If the Astros have a bad year, you really think Click will trade Altuve, Bregman, McCullers and make no effort to retain Yuli and Verlander?

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Was this about El Caballo?

desihooper likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pathetic to treat Carlos Correa, a Houston Astros hero and legend, like this. I guarantee you that players in the clubhouse are feeling something with how the front office treated their leader.

14. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

these comments are so idiotic. Like anyone here would take a huge pay cut to stay at their current job after they low balled them multiple times and then said “go look and see if you can find something better”. Then when you come back with something better don’t up their original offer a single cent.

Fans like this is why franchises can be mediocre…

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. toby

toby Member

They didn't even have the press conference volume on in the club house. They don't care. Probably glad his drama has left the building.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

17. The Beard

I didn't say I wanted it to happen, i'm asking if Nook has heard anything. Treating a Houston sports hero like this makes no sense at all and doesn't fit in with what we have seen from Crane in the past. Trying to figure out a potential reason

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It makes perfect sense to me and is right in line with everything Crane has aid and done in the past.

The reasons are very clear if you ask me.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Truthfully, that contract is nothing but downside for the Twins and all upside for Correa.

He has a crappy season, or even worse, has a bad injury (e.g. one requiring surgery...like on his back)? He opts in and he rehabilitates on your dime where he once again hopes to have a big season so he can then bail on you after you have paid him three seasons worth for one season worth of MVP production.

On the other hand, he actually has a MVP type season this year? Well, he is going to opt out and get paid.

Why would we want to put ourselves through that?

Edit: And then we are in the same predicament we're in now except Pena is a year older...

Marshall Bryant and RussE like this.