1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grizzlies announcers FLAMES KPJ after this play!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Is he? Because I really don't know if he is or the GM.... no one knows because this organization under Fertitta has no clearly defined roles or duties.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ is learning a new position his turnovers are way down, his assists are still ok, and he is sharing the ball more with Green, which is what we want....2 attacking players capable of handling the ball.

It is looking like the Org wants KPJ and Green to be the 2 starting Guards - so we all better get used to it, or find a new team.

DD

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His TO ratio has improved dramatically

4. Nook

Nook Member

Since the break? Because his assist/to ratio overall was better last year than this season.

He has a negative WS and a PER of under 11.

He is shooting 3's better but has been really bad on 2's and there is ZERO excuse for him to shoot under 60% on 3's.

I wouldn't have an issue with them "trying" with him except for the fact that his effort sucks, he doesn't take advantage of morning practice and literally has quit on the Rockets multiple times.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Nah.... Porter is the equivalent to the girlfriend for right now.

It's really easy for him to be long term solution when he cost you nothing to trade for, his salary is minimal and you are the worst team in the league.

He is like the fat girl that is easy.... don't read too much into it.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just saying that the guy who posted that chart said he hadn't improved in any area - but clearly he showed he improved in turnovers. And looking at his numbers since the all-star break, they seem to have improved over last year as well.

I don't disagree with you on the other points. He's got issues for sure. He's got talent. I doubt he gets extended though.

Nook likes this.
  7. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

ZAKHEM! GOT EM!

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He has talent for sure but he is spending all his effort and time trying to get his mind right while other less talented people are working on developing their games. He is ONLY getting a shot right now based on potential but a year or two from now it will be a lot harder to look past the actual vs the potential. I think that while he's a fine gamble for a team trying to tank (especially this year) - as Green, Sengun, and Christopher develop, KPJ is going to be left behind rather quickly because those guys are all getting work in while KPJ is pouting in games/practices or not showing up to extra practices. I would be low key shopping him now and would most certainly NOT offer him a long term deal with us unless he somehow manages to turn a significant corner between now and then but clearly if he is still pulling this routine in late March, he isn't too close to making the necessary changes and probably never will until he is on the verge of being out of the league. A coach's headache is only worth it for legit stars or future ones and KPJ's chances at being a future star are really diminishing by the month.

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Foolish

10. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

He did. Schroder is there to sub him out and he refused to leave the court. Whose fault is it?

11. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I mean no one is claiming that if kpj stops to act up then we are a playoff contender. Clearly we have a whole lot of issues. What makes kpj situation unique is bc it may be the deciding factor to who we draft.

As far as "baby sitting" a player, that seems to refer to off court stuff. What most of us is suggesting is to bench the player or punish them in some way when the player is acting up. Again not controlling how he acts (which would be the baby sitting) but being more stringent in how you respond to his antics .it is not unreasonable to bench a player who is refusing to come off the court or not playing a player for the rest of the game for lack of hustle.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

in no way shape or form is he the deciding factor of who the rockets draft. If that's the case, the rockets are dumber than they already are

funny, he got sent to the bench and pouted his way to it, while holding up the game for everyone to see

13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

No doubt. From my view, KPJ has gotten worse at free throws (he might be the worst FT shooting PG in the league, and probably bottom 5 out of all players for sure), better at 3s, defensively is the same he was early in the season, effort is unchanged, and offensively gets rid of the ball quicker in the possession (most of the time immediately) alongside others bringing the ball up more. If he's a better PG because he's playing the role less, then I agree, he's getting better lol because he's not having to do as much of something he's not any good at to begin with.

I think last night by most measures was one of his better games. Yet in this "better" game he was 5/13 (38.5%), 0/3 from 3pt range (0%), 1/2 FT (50%), and had 4 assists in 36 minutes. But it was a good game because Wood balled out and KPJ gave him the ball and got out of the way.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I don't think he is the deciding factor at all if we have the first 2 picks.
    But I definitely think if they have say the 4th pick and Chet, jabari, Paolo are gone you have to take Ivey which basically either ends the rein on kpj in Houston (def as a starter).
    What if we have the 3rd pick? I think how they feel about him plays a huge role in who they pick at that point.

15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Ok. I get it. For tanking purposes, if we are forgetting whether it might or might not affect the team, maybe so.

I take everything stars say about anything with way less than a grain of whatever.

They should have handled KPJ completely different than they did not just for the teams benefit, but for his.

IMO

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Who they pick has nothing to do with kpj and shouldn’t

Nook likes this.
  17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Has KPJ not thrown objects or been violent in the locker room in a fit of anger? Or does that not count?

It literally got him kicked of his last team after one season, after his previous team traded up to draft him.

#177 flamingdts, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't know what that has to do with anything I have said, so these incidents mean that he has no future or that the rockets should move on?

What point are you trying to make?

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't know what you are struggling to understand.
    1. You made the claim that KPJ's repeated bouts of unprofessional and toxic behavior has no impact on the locker room, the team nor the rookies.
    2. I shared examples other known players with toxic behavioral traits that have severely affected other rookies and other players on the team (frankly I don't know why this needs to be shared at all, the history of the NBA is littered with examples of how bad locker rooms severely impact the team)
    3. Therefore, if the Rockets are planning to keep him, they do so at the risk of the team.
    And yes, the Rockets should move on from a player that repeatedly quits on the team or threatens coaches, especially when they have accomplished as little as KPJ. KPJ has literally publicly quit on this team twice, which is twice as much as T-Mac (and that was a big incident), at a far younger age, with far less accomplishments in his career.

I can't believe it needs to be explained why a player throwing objects at coaches is somehow not a serious incident.

#179 flamingdts, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I am not talking about 1 play. I am talking about general discipline. We have seen multiple times KPJ act up and even then he gets a preferential starting position.