1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official KPJ as building block thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Mar 2, 2022.

?

KPJ part of your Rockets foundation?

1. Yes

36.4%
  2. No

63.6%
  1. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

it was low risk last season when we had no other rookies/assets to develop and no guarantee of even having a top pick or hitting on any of our picks.

story is different now. we have two prized rookies in green and sengun and a handful of other good young players and we really need to build a good culture around them to help them reach their potential. having kpj and all of his toxicity is really a high risk decision by management that has the potential to stunt the development of our young guys.

kinda reminds you of gsw back when they had monta ellis and steph curry... somehow they were able to make the right decision and part with monta. hope stone and the rockets FO has the balls to do the same.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

The best predictor of a man's future behavior is his past behavior.

Sad, but true.

I don't know if he's ever going to get past his demons. I was hopeful, but he's been kicked off damn near every team he's been on.

He's not a good enough player to put up with his toxic personality on a team full of 19 and 20 year olds.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I disagree, when you are talking about a 21 year old, however, there appear to be no consequences for poor behavior, and that simply becomes enabling.

This year is over, no need to do much - but I really would like to see what a REAL coach does with someone like KPJ who clearly has MAJOR NBA talent, but simply doesn't seem to have any control over his emotions.

I think KPJ would flourish under someone like Popovich or even Van Gundy.......but Silas is just awful.

DD

4. vator

That man has mental problems. It was never more clear to me than watching him today. I was hoping it was overblown and just a lack of maturity, but he has an illness. Nook used to make comments about this all the time and I would always think he was being overly pessimistic on KPJ's future outlook. Young guys mature. It's part of growing up. One thing I have a lot of knowledge and experience on is dealing with people with various mental, social, and emotional issues. KPJ needs help. It's bigger than basketball.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like he is getting that help and I do believe there has been significant off-the-floor progress. That said, I am getting a bit tired that 20-year-old JG is our most professional player, while the immaturity of Christian Wood and Kevin Porter Jr. reveals itself in every 3rd game.

Tremendously excited about the body language and talent level of Daishen Nix.

Also excited that Wood is going to be traded on draft day. (A man can dream...)

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I still think kpj mental issue can b handled with a competent coach.

Silas couldn't even handle wood, so of course hes gonna fking fail at helping kpj.

Since we aren't firing Silas for incompetence, trading/benching/demoting kpj from pg is ideal.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

KPJ doesn't even have the skills to back up the amount of bad attitude. Should be a easy decision for the org of this keeps happening, what do we even lose

8. DaDakota

Man, you don't know that. I get that people think they know by watching games and what they perceive.

Harden quit, Tmac quit, did they have mental problems?

I think what we have is a kid that is growing up, and needs direction - and frankly is not getting it.

The Rockets have a HISTORY of ****ing this up.....so I am not surprised they haven't put a proper plan in place with clear concise directions.

And, I don't think it would be bad to get KPJ some help - but more importantly, they need to lay out the rules....for the entire team.

You don't Celebrate a dunk when your team is down 15 points, you don't scream on an alley oop when you are getting your ass kicked, you don't whine about no calls on defense and let the other team run and dunk, yet these are things our ENTIRE team does on a nightly basis....why? Because the coach is such a PISSANT that he has no control, and no rules and expectations for successs and growth.....so what you see as one guys mental problems.....

I see as an organization that is giving us "Lord of the flies"

DD

9. vator

How can you say he doesn't have mental problems? It is well documented that he struggles with his mental health. I'm confused. I suppose Antonio Brown doesn't have mental problems either.

10. DaDakota

You said he does, I don't know if he does or doesn't but what is happening on the court, is simply a lack of respect for the rules, or a lack of accountability.

If you boss says get to work whenever, you do that.....if your boss says show up at 8 or your fired....you do that.

I don't know what Silas is doing but it is not fostering a team of accountable players....they literally do whatever the **** they want, because they know there is no one to hold them accountable.

DD

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Harden dedicated over 8 seasons with the Rockets, and the Rockets had the most success with him since Hakeem. It didn't lead to a championship, but Harden brought 8 seasons of elite performance and him ring chasing at the tail end of his career was a necessary divorce.

T-Mac's was straight up a shell of his former self due to mounting injuries and could not even do 30% of what he used to do on the court. His body quit on him and so he did shortly after. However, even he was a 7 time all-star/all-NBA player before this.

What exactly has KPJ done to warrant tolerance of his behavioral issues? The Rockets have already given him a few chances, he's already the most accommodated player on this team on and off the court. He's not the most talented player, nor does he have the most potential on this team.

Look at his peers in Green, Sengun and Christopher. All of them younger than KPJ, two of them has shown far more promise so far, and all of them have had to take turns taking a backseat to KPJ. Did any of them quit on the team mid-way, or directly ignored the coach's decisions?

Silas is not a particularly good coach, but KPJ's personal issues cannot be fixed by anyone else but himself.

12. DaDakota

I agree, but one thing people need are the rules to be clear and the consequences for breaking those rules just as clear.

This season doesn't matter - but in no way, do I want to go into next season with KPJ on the team if Silas is the coach - I think he will hinder development if he is not held accountable for poor behavior.

So for me, Silas is the problem - as he just doesn't set any rules - and certainly doesn't enforce them, or hold his players accountable.

Frustrations happen, and KPJs are magnified because of his history - I get that - but good coaches yank their ass out of the game sit em on the bench of send them home - immediately - there has to be consequences.

Do you , or does ANYONE here actually think that will happen with Silas as coach? He has to go....he is just as much of a problem as whining sulking players.

If it were me, he would get a 5 game suspension and I would start Nix.......

DD

jcmoon and jacoby like this.
  13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The problem is there is an assumption that KPJ responds well if you yank him, bench him or suspend him. History has already shown that KPJ is prone to outbursts if things don't go his way.

What do you think is more likely to happen if coaches take a hardline with KPJ?
    1. He discovers maturity, and stops acting out, and cuts down on all his bad behavior (including selfish on-court antics).
    2. He acts out even more, takes a hard stance against the coach and refuses to report back to the team.
    Realistically, point 2 is what's going to happen (and has already happened). Teams will cut him and tell him not to come back.

14. DaDakota

I don't care, that is on him, but either way you find out, right?

And if it is number 2, then you get to find out what others can do, rather than waste valuable time and resources.

DD

15. Since75

Since75 Member

It's apparent you want Silas gone and no matter what the players do it's his fault. Now you're double talking regarding KPJ. In one instance you question if he has a mental issue and in the next moment you say he's getting the help he needs. Which is it? BTW was it the coaches at USC and in Cleveland to blame for KPJ's behavior too.

i3artow i3aller and vator like this.
  16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

We can agree to disagree on this.

The Rockets have already dedicated 2 seasons to KPJ, they can't spend another season trying to fix up. He hasn't exhibited franchise changing talent (which would normally start to show itself by year 3), he isn't even the player with the most potential/talent on this team. The Rockets have a plethora of other high potential assets that they can instead work with, why jeopardize all of this just for one uncontrollable talent?

Furthermore, it's not just the coaches that have to walk egg shells around him, it's the rookies as well. If KPJ can't handle criticisms from a coach without blowing up, imagine how the rookies feel coming into the environment? It's an incredibly toxic situation for the new players to this team, and this isn't even factoring Christian Wood yet who has needs his own fair share of therapy.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wait a minute...
    so you dont count the top picks he won for us as the championship?!!

nobody told me the tops picks does not equal the rings

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you got the wrong guy, guy.

19. PatBev

PatBev Member

I have KPJ doesn’t read clutchfans. That would probably give me mental problems too

20. conquistador#11

Probably to calm down and shout 'serenity now'.

I just don't see another coach being so chill with the situation. A new coach would mean the end of KPJ. Maybe Dream can slap him.

i3artow i3aller and vator like this.