1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sad to see Correa leaving the Stros. During the last couple of playoff runs he really brought the swagger this team needed.

If he ad to glad he’s coming here to Minnesota. It gives me more of a reason to go to Target Field this season. I do wonder though what his reception will be when he gets here. Not only was he part of the sign stealing he also was instrumental in sinking the Twins the last time they made the playoffs.

2. Mattician

Mattician Member

I would say I'm just glad he didn't end up on the Dodgers or Yankees.

But we'll likely be going through this again next year during free agency. So there's still a chance he does.

I couldn't forgive him if he goes to one of those two teams.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Another year of proven health for something that was presumed to be a chronic/yearly issue is significant.

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Minnesota was 16 games under .500 last season and has a poor pitching staff. No way they are making the playoffs. In the AL Central, I expect CWS to be good again this season and I think Detroit will take a step forward as well.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It’s still the worst division in baseball. Carlos could conceivably put up huge numbers against the collective pitching.

That likely factored into the decision as much as anything. Baltimore (with an opt out) would have him facing four possible playoff teams throughout the entire season.

The original offer Crane made remains the likely “best” offer the Astros would do, even though the final contract ended up being seemingly better from a total cost/risk standpoint.

arkoe likes this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Going into this offseason I was 100% sure Correa was gone. I thought it was going to be a mega offer from at least one team. Instead it ended even uglier after the deal Correa signed and Crane failing to match what seems like a perfect contract situation for the Astros. That being said, what I am most disappointed in is the lack of aggression in the market.

If you were just paying lip service to Correa and not serious about bringing him back why didn't you do SOMETHING else? The Astros are currently about 12 million below last year's payroll and 34 million below the new luxury tax. The market is nearly dried up with the only position players of significance being Story, Conforto, and to a lesser extent Soler. What did we get post lockout? Niko Goodrum....yea, that really points to a team trying to win a World Series.

Pre-lockout I thought we were right there as a World Series contender... then in my opinion a number of teams went rocketing past us with their moves. Very disappointed if they don't upgrade this roster.

Jim Crane is a private equity guy. I'm starting to wonder if he is getting ready to flip the team for a fat profit.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

#GoAstors

King1, mikol13 and desihooper like this.
  8. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I don't think this is true when John G. said Verlander was not allowed back to the team late last season from the players. Verlander said he tinkered in coming back during late in the season before listening to doctor's advise to rest until 2022.

I find it odd that the Astros on the day Zach Greinke signed with the Royals, the Astros posted Thank You to him the same day. It has been at least 12 hours, nothing mention on Correa. Maybe the Stros really play hard ball.

#308 bloodwings19, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    everyday eddie likes this.
  9. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Hindsight, we should have brought back CFM but he was coming off shoulder injury. Like Correa, Springer was just waiting for his time to leave. Cheating scandal did not help us retaining star players. They’re ****ing chicken **** to me. Don’t hate me!!

10. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

They had a ton of injuries. There was a lot of talk on MLB radio last spring that they would be the favorite in the AL Central, but they were playing with a bunch of guys that should have been in the minors.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, somebody floated the idea that the Astros were close to signing Correa and it turned out not to be true. At most, they may have talked to him and it appears that was last week.

Somebody lied.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The reception will be that of selective amnesia. When the Astros come to town, the boos will continue all while they cheer on Correa. It would be the same from any other fan base.

AznH-TownFan and rocketsjudoka like this.
  13. CinematicFusion

Boras lied and he also floated the O’s deal.
    Smoke and mirrors. No one was chasing Correa.
    Not sure why.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That will probably be the case later in the season but it might be awkward the first few games.

15. CinematicFusion

The question is, who will be better over the next 5 years.

Peña ages 24-28
    Correa ages 27-31

You would think Correa would be a lay up.
    Maybe not when you factor cost per performance, injuries, ect. we shall see…

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dollar for dollar it’s probably not even close, in favor of Pena.

17. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Ice fishing.

RussE likes this.
  18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We all knew we couldn't keep this nucleus together forever. I just thought letting Springer walk was a sign they chose to keep Correa. I don't think Crane or Click know how to close deals.

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I know he used to be a big guy on the scene. I hope this is just him trying to say something to stir **** up .

inexcusable to ghost Correa . This is the exact opposite of what we were hearing with “crane taking an active role” or some **** like that .

crazy we wouldn’t offer to match . Idk what has happened . This would have been a good deal for us I think

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Weird deal. Was it just that the Twins were the only team willing to give him that high of an AAV and the opt outs? Virtually no chance they compete, and I don’t see how his numbers next year are better than 2021.

Sounds like he just wants that big 10 year deal. Lots of risk in this for Correa and Boras. They tried to mitigate it some with the additional 2 years of options, but this is going to look really bad if Carlos doesn’t perform.

As for the Stros, they preserved their flexibility and have the heir apparent already in house. If Peña doesn’t work out, the can try Leon or use their cap space to trade or sign a SS. A lot more ways for this to work out for Houston than Carlos.