1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Cleveland and Minnesota are both winners. Who woulda ****ing thunk it?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doubtful. The Astros wanted shorter deals, not longer deals.

They’ve extended Boras’ clients even when they didn’t need to (Altuve). They’ve signed riskier players on 1 year deals to keep this team in contention (JV).

Will be curious to see if the truth ever comes out here.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Boras works for the client… he also represents Altuve.

A shorter deal benefits the Astros future payroll flexibility when Tucker/Alvarez FA years get close.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

His wife loves Mall of America

5. HookemHorns1250

This just feels weird. Crane has showed in the past he’s willing to spend money, and for Correa to sign a 3 year deal?

Im not ready to just go off on ownership just yet, hopefully we learn more soon.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hard to argue about a team losing their mojo when they still went to the World Series.

But they do need to figure out how to replace those runs (both offensively and defensively) while relying on a mix of an older and younger core. Correa, while injury prone, did represent a good bridge between them.

eliefor3 likes this.
  7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I like to read what the Astros offered because either we shorted him, or Boras blindsided the Stros. If it was a bigger number, I would understand, but this just smells rotten. This has Boras brainwashing Correa telling him in Minny, you can be the MAN. Then get a bigger payday.

8. the shark

the shark Member

He's not staying in MINN for 3 yrs so basically it's a one yr deal. Have a hard time believing the Stros didn't offer him the same thing or possibly even more for this yr.

Dude obviously wanted out. I say don't let the door hit your @$$ on the way out of town.

9. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

So what, you think Boras wasn't whispering in Carlos' ear about how next year they could set the market (and, coincidentally, add a zero or two to the end of his commission check)? Boras may work for his client, but he also works for himself, and the possibility of the Red Sox (when the other Boras client opts out) ponying up a nice fat deal would look a lot better to prospective clients than what were apparently a bunch of good-but-not-great offers from the Astros and everyone else. Frankly, I doubt we'll ever learn the whole story, something will always be left out so that someone will be made out to be the villain.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  10. the shark

the shark Member

He signed with the Twins.....let that sink in.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If there was no 10+ year contract greater than $350 million on the table, with a team that could actually win within the next 2-3 years, then a shorter contract with an early opt out was going to be next best thing. Many of us were vouching for Crane offering something similar, or for team Correa to be looking for 2 big deals, instead of just one.

If common fans are vouching for it, I would think the best agent in the business would also advise his client thusly. In the end, the Astros were either unwilling to offer 1 year or were not given the chance to offer 1 year. But a 1 year deal for him is a smart play given how the market went this off-season and I have no problems with his agent’s advice on that.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I personally do not.

I haven’t spoken to anyone tonight but I suspect that there was no one that Carlos wanted to play for offering 300 million and the Astros were not going to bid against themselves and feelings were hurt so Carlos took similar money to what the Astros likely offered from another team for a one year detour.

Im sure the Astros believed all the stars were aligning for them in the market and were confident their offer would be good in the current market…. But pride is involved.

Maybe I am wrong, but I find it very hard to believe the Astros wouldn’t match the Twins offer… I just think after the Astros failed to come up to what Correa and Boras felt he was worth, he was angry and got similar short term money elsewhere.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Eh, its a 1 year deal… maybe less if they’re out of contention by the trade deadline and I presume he’d be on the trade market to the highest buyer.

Correa’s Twins career will be similar to Randy Johnson’s Astros career… minus actually making the playoffs.

14. TheresTheDagger

That makes sense but man...that's an awfully big risk to take for Correa. I'm sure he's gotten insured but what if his performance drops?

Welp, on to Pena I guess.

p.s. I'm not nearly as confident as you about Boras. It probably wasn't the main reason for the decision made, but at the same time I'm thinking Scotty boy wasn't disappointed in this result.

JayGoogle and Nook like this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

Yes it's a one yr deal with the F'n Twins.

Hard time believing if he wanted to do a one yr deal so he could be a FA next yr that he couldn't of signed for that amount or possibly more in Houston and played with his boys.

He wanted out. He can do whatever he wants because it's his life. Again I say don't let the door hit you in the @$$ on your way out of town......to Minn

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We shall see. All the Astros have to say is that we offered the same, if not more. Pride works on both sides as well… Crane may have felt slighted that he was unwilling to sign a 3 or 5 year deal vs. a 1 year deal, thus the negotiations ended.

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe… I could be wrong but I suspect that Crane would have been glad to pay a one year deal at a high number… if he had any issue with the 3/105, it was that Correa could get hurt and Correa was on the hook for the full 105.

Let’s wait and see.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I’m sure Boras wants the additional money but the hit from failing to procure a long term deal for value with Correa could harm him more in the future with other clients that may feel Boras doesn’t come through.

I also think there is a good chance Correa changes agents again. He didn’t get good results with Boras.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or Crane apparently wasn’t willing to do opt outs or consider a one year deal…. Which seems odd given what they just did with Verlander.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

… while he had already offered 5/160?

Yeah, it really doesn’t make sense… unless he just was unwilling to do the opt outs.

Nook likes this.