1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

this makes no sense. Astros offered more initially didn't they? I have a feeling he just wanted out for whatever reason.

It's easy to be salty right now but man we are going to miss his leadership. He was Captain Astro around here, beloved by the fans, teammates, everything.

2. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

The more I think about it, I'm just grateful he didn't go to NYY or BOS.

Maybe we sign Story. IDK. Its going to be a long weekend.

awc713 likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Only in May as there are still service time manipulation abilities, correct?

4. TheresTheDagger

I'm still getting over losing Springer and now Correa too.

My two favorite Astros. I'm so bummed out right now.

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

328 ft down the right field line with a higher wall. That's bigger than MMP which is 325. It's 367 in right center with a higher wall in Minn. Minute Maid is 372 with a lower wall.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Crane should have been all over a 1 year deal. Its basically what he gave Verlander.

The whole thing at the start of FA, or even last year, was that the Astros don’t offer long term deals. They want year to year flexibility (especially at the trade deadline) to adjust the budget as needed.

The Beard and megastahr like this.
  7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I think we sign Story on a 1yr deal. Correa will be a FA again next offseason.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its an overhang, no?

The Astros have put up some prodigious offensive numbers there in the brief amount of games they’ve played, so I could be biased.

9. right1

right1 Member

Was that a real tweet by Maldonado that said the rat is always a rat or whatever? And was he talking about Boras? Probably.

10. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Would rather roll out odorizzi and not sign verlander and kept Correa at this deal. Click and crane are freakin idiots. Ruined our dynasty

11. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Exactly … this … I’m just about done giving my time and money to these idiots

12. Nook

Nook Member

No one is answering my texts so I will try to find out tomorrow… but I suspect that Correa may not have offered the Astros the chance to match the Twins 3-105 deal…. It sounds like pride may have been involved.

At least he isn’t in NY or LA or Seattle.

Let’s see what happens now.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

According to baseball savant if Carlos played all his games at Minute Maid last year he would have had 34 HRs. If he played all his games in Target Field he would have had 22 HRs......

BHannes2BHonest and Nick like this.
  14. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

I bet boras told Carlos to play for another team for a couple of years to get the cheating stench off of him and then go for the big long contract he wants in a couple of years

AznH-TownFan and Houstunna like this.
  15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

In 2 consecutive years, the Astros have not only lost inmense talent but also have lost the teams mojo
    Springer and correa gave the team ultimate confidence. Springers presence was already visible in the world series last year and now we will miss the extra stuff Correa brought.

slothy420, Wulaw Horn and Houstunna like this.
  16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Crane is a shitty owner. I’m really mad about this loss.

CrushCity likes this.
  17. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

There's a difference between a near 40 year old pitcher coming off TJ surgery and a franchise SS entering his prime. The Altuve contract shows that Crane is willing to dip into the piggy bank if he sees it as necessary to lock up a cornerstone player.

How do you know Boras even gave the Astros the option? Given his history, I'm more inclined to believe that Boras didn't like the Astros offer (probably didn't offer any player opt-outs, Crane would want to lock Correa up for a least a few yeas) and steered Correa away from them with the promise of a big payday next year without even broaching the topic with Crane.

18. TheresTheDagger

Do you think Boras and his cut had anything to do with this? l know he was set to make a lot less on any big contract signed this year vs. next.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For sure the Crawford Boxes favor any RH hitter with power vs. any other ballpark… but his opposite field power will still play in Minnesota, as opposed to Boston (not to mention playing against a likely weaker division).

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

You mean the dynasty they (along with Lunhow of course) manufactured? I'm upset too but this team has been good for so long that I'm willing to cut the front office some slack. Shoot before this past week everybody thought he was as good as gone anyways, yet we were still considered among the favorites in the AL. And we only know one side to this news. Astros could have very well given Correa a good offer, but ultimately, he's the one that chose the Twins. This is gonna sting like Springer, but we survived that loss, and we'll manage this one too.

JayGoogle likes this.