1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Delivery this Sunday!

Two Sandwiches, CXbby and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Got this for my son too

[​IMG]

dmoneybangbang and CXbby like this.
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Yes, have an electrician install a 14-50 outlet in your garage with the right gauge wires.
    Your car will come with a "charger" that will plug into it. 14-50 is not specific to Tesla.

In fact, don't mention it's for a Tesla. You will get charged more...
    Just say you want to get an electric car in the future and want to get an outlet ready...not sure which yet. Maybe a chevy bolt.
    I paid ~300.

Also...get a quality receptacle. Some of the crap you find at home depot or amazon can melt when they get hot.
    I bought this one.
    https://www.zoro.com/bryant-recepta...et-14-50r-black-9450fr/i/G4438388/?q=G4438388

#945 Sajan, Mar 17, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  6. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

yeah this was the one Z-BOY mentioned a few posts before you.

https://www.kellyhayes.com/hbl9450a...g-single-straight-blade-power-receptacle.html

Sajan likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I see us buying our next car probably within the next 5 years or so. I would probably want to make it electric.

Would be for my wife. We have two small (growing) kids. Not sure how they fit in most electrics these days. I rode in a model X about 5 years ago. Seemed like they'd fit in there, but I wouldn't want to spend that much.

Any experience with this for you guys?

#947 Two Sandwiches, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Just got the 3 Long Range. Loving it so far! I'm coming from a BMW M3 so there is a learning curve lol

CXbby likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lolol... Audio NSFW, but this is nuts. I did some crazy mess as a teenager, but I don't know what level of stupid you'd have to be to even attempt this :

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

lolol.....
    Some dude about to lose his license and or face criminal charges...

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

...What them Duke Boys didn't know was that Roscoe had set up the whole thing to catch them wreckin' an experimental e-lec-trick car.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Getting airborne doesn't really work the same way as in the movies....

[​IMG]

Sajan likes this.
  13. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

so price increase recently and this was just announced: https://electrek.co/2022/03/25/tesla-models-sold-out-2023-price-increase/

whats the outlook look like down the line? i know other manufactures are going the EV direction they getting anything that might compete with tesla anytime soon?

just wondering if the price is going to continue to climb or decrease over the next 2-3 years

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Prices rarely decrease on anything long-term. :D
    A lot of the EV and ICE manufacturers are hitting supply constraints and may also bang up against unpredictable "resource wars" in the future that affect things like supply of components like batteries, metals, other commodities, etc. Prices for things like nickel exploded through the roof. That'll definitely influence prices. We've already started seeing some of the effects by the prices on vehicles, but also in how they're built. The following is an article from late last year : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38414682/tesla-new-cheaper-battery/ about the switch Tesla made in battery chemistry, for example. Everybody's going to be hit by it one way or another.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm keeping my Model 3 in Germany (it's leased - the penalty for giving it back early would be like almost 50% of the cost of just keeping it...).

But I ordered an X Plaid and Y Performance in the US.

CXbby likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I remember when tesla was mocked because they designed a manufacturing system that allowed configuration management changes on the fly. The components allegedly procured from home depot comes to mind.

What I'm really hearing is not only is competition is not coming, but is indeed following further and further behind. The anti musk crowd will be forced to capitulate and buy Teslas.

CXbby likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Has anyone looked at the Fisker? I met Fisker recently. Looks interesting.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember when the first Fiskers came out (the Karma) over a decade or two ago, I loved that car. Of course it's not the same company now. The original Fisker company was sold to a Chinese company and became "Karma Automotive". Henrik Fisker kept the Fisker name and started this new incarnation, and I think it's an all-electric manufacturer now. I think that's how the history went, anyway.

I think their new entry is the Fisker Ocean. You can check it out here. You can still see the styling of the original Fisker Karma in it. Fisker is a pretty well-known designer who used to work for Aston Martin and I think BMW or Audi, I forget. The new company sources the batteries from the same company in China that makes batteries for Tesla, so battery production won't be too much of an issue as long as resources are available since I think that's all that company makes. I think they do the same as Tesla and put different battery chemistries into different cars nowadays depending on whether you want extended range or "normal" range.

I would like other companies to succeed, but I'm wary of buying products from new companies with not much proven history. Especially when they're this highly-priced anyway. No way I'd buy a new one yet without knowing if they'll be around for another few years and how support for the vehicle is. For an electric car design, I like the Ocean's design, though. It's got a few interesting features, but I haven't been keeping as up-to-date on it lately since I've cooled on buying an electric vehicle for another year or two probably.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There's a large Tesla building that looks nearly completed off 290 near highway 6. Is that going to be a dealership? Or maybe a repair shop? The building used to be an outdoor store (gear and clothes).

20. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Looks like they raised prices a gain yesterday