1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Biden's America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, May 12, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

2. dmoneybangbang

It's very boom/bust. My dad survived multiple busts but not the most recent one when he was laid off in 2019 as an engineer. He retired. Got some roughnecks and rig supervisors in my family and half of them found jobs in new industries. The labor shortage is very real and folks are tired of the uncertainty.

3. dmoneybangbang

I'm a Honda man and my civic sips gasoline. I'm feeling the pinch of higher prices but it's alleviated when your tank is 10 gallons and you get 40MPG.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I wasn't specifically quoting that person specifically, more in the context of their response to a tweet that was referencing the statements going around like: "if you don't like paying $5 a gallon for gas, then buy a Tesla". As if that is even practical for 98% of the country. To many people in the D&D take every post as a personal assault on their character. It is quite entertaining at times.

5. davidio840

It was in reference to the politicians and media saying "buy a testa and you don't have to worry about gas!" It just isn't practical. And eve more so now with cars being sold well over MSRP due to supplier issues all over the globe.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What if we nationalize the oil industry?

7. davidio840

Bro, that is barely enough room to fit a stroller! And who wants to wait 10 hours to charge their car after driving 300 miles? Tesla's are cool for short commutes around town, I don't own one, but I do have plenty of Tesla stock. However, they are no where near practical taking on a road trip over 100 miles away.

8. fchowd0311

Fast charge stations take around 30 minutes for a mostly full charge.

But yes for now gas powered motors are more practical for long road trips. EVs are more suited for daily commutes for now where you can plug in your vehicle overnight.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Apparently, since US Presidents control the world oil market, why isn't Biden getting any credit for lowering the price of a barrel of oil 35% or so in the past few days?

10. davidio840

As in nationalize during this crisis or permanently? It has happened during certain situations in the past, but we aren't trying to become the next Venezuela. Healthcare would become nationalized before the oil and gas sector, I'd guess.

I don't think people understand that you can't just set up shop and start drilling and pumping crude out of the ground at the snap of a finger. Additionally, there are incredible delays in supply chain that range from pipe to valves to pumps to fittings to, you name it. Then it has to be refined down to the biproduct whether it be gasoline, oil, naphtha (feedstock to cracking units that make plastic)., etc.

11. fchowd0311

The amazing thing about the US nationalizing an industry like oil is that no country will invade or place sanctions on us trying to create regime change and tank our economy through said sanctions then using that as propaganda for their own people that nationalizing energy will turn their county into a communist distopia.

It's story of Latin American countries trying to remove American corporate influence on their nation and being labeled communists for it and being executed by right wing Latin Americans funded by conservative American politicians. A story as old as American imperialism.

I suggest you look up "school of the Americas".

12. cdastros

cdastros Member

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Of course, there are many DCFC chargers in Austin. DCFC will take you from 25% charge to 75% charge in 30 minutes (charging slows down when you get close to 100%), not 8 hours. But south of Austin, they have a DCFC in Mountain City, one in San Marcos, two in Seguin, one in Wimberley. Going west, you have one in Johnson City, two in Kerrville, two in Junction, one in Llano. Headed north, you've got two in Waco and one under construction in Temple. And of course there are many more level 2 chargers but as you say, you don't want to wait hours with kids in tow. Many more will be coming with the government cheese, but even now a road trip in the hill country with kids is possible with a couple minutes' planning.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's in Nancy's hands now

15. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

it’s been a few days since we exchanged posts, and I am struggling to identify the Lefts equivalent of Q anon, space lasers, UV lights, bleach, Hershel walked (latest greatest hit is that if evolution were true, how come there are still apes?), boebart, Taylor green, goehmert, Putin support, holocaust denial.

I really want to know, what Is coming from the Left that is this level stupid, ignorance, carnival barking, departure from reality nonsense. Lunatic nonsense that is mainstream part of the party?

Your post says the left is arrogant, will not listen to ideas, call you names, starting with racist. Is that the sum of your problems with the Left generally? I’m not seeing the correlate to the lunatic level stupidity I identified abov.

Of the things you listed, the thing that stands out is the idea that the Left calls you racist if you disagree. If I’m wrong, let me know, but my read on this goes something like this. Dems talk a lot about the existence of systemic racism and bias, and perhaps you don’t agree that it exists, or disagree that it is significant, or disagree that it as big a deal as Democrats make it, or you are just tired of hearing about racism because it isn’t part of your life or your experience …. And when you respond that way, you don’t like the discussion because somewhere along the way, you feel like your viewpoint is being diminished and either people call you a racist or the constant discussion about race creates an environment where if you aren’t the type to give much airtime to racism, you are made to feel like a racist. Or something like that. Again, maybe I’m wrong, but that’s my read on this because I know folks who feel this way and race as a topic is why they dislike Democrats. Basically, don’t tell me Im a racist, Im tired of it.

if that’s how you feel about the race discussion coming from the left, and if thats a major basis of how you feel, that’s your call and that’s your right. I would only make this suggestion that I make to my friends who feel this way: make sure you get your news from places other than Fox or right wing outlets. I open my Fox app before CNN to make sure I hear both sides, even if I don’t agree with it. It also gives me perspective on what the other side is pushing or believes.

What I see from Fox (prior to Ukraine dominating the news) is a non stop barrage of race as a wedge issue: CRT as a threat to out children, brown people on the border as a threat to America, Tucker Carlson talking about how the left is accusing the right of being racist if they aren’t woke enough. It is the wedge issue that Fox seems to want to make bigger and bigger, so that people will be more willing to put up with q anon, space lasers, pro Putin, the insurrection and all of the above, rather than dealing with the feeling that Dems hate all white people.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, glad she's cleared up this issue

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

They have to make it simple for the simpletons like @subtomic and @dobro1229 that must not question anything besides what their woke party agenda tells them and then pretend anybody else just wants to kill children in hospitals

#1997 ROXRAN, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  18. ROXRAN

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to get ready. One political party was in favor of moving in that direction a decade ago. Sadly the other political party was not on board. Now look where we are.

It didn't have to be this bad. The sooner we push for renewable energy the better off we'll be when situations in oil producing nations cause reduced supply.

Had political parties not been bought and sold by oil companies, we'd be better off right now.

Blatz and ROXRAN like this.
  20. ROXRAN

Good points - can’t argue there

FranchiseBlade likes this.