1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tillman contemplating buying Chelsea.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigereye, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Just because the Glazers care more about the Bucs than United doesn’t mean you need to wish this sadness upon me and my Chels.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

As an Arsenal fan, I would welcome this if it means Chelsea won't be able to spend much under cheap fertitta compared to the current owner.

clos4life and Jontro like this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Chelsea is a money-maker, NHL Coyotes is not.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Are we sure he wasn’t just looking to extend his bubba gump shrimp boating fleet to the Chesapeake bay instead?

Jontro likes this.
  5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Unlike NBA there is no salary cap. Is he planning to expand Landry's to Europe to finance this?

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

As a Rockets and Chelsea fan, this news would probably ruin me.

But Chelsea has a board of directors who care about the club. They won’t let Tillman buy it.

clos4life, Jontro and VivaChelseaFC like this.
  7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is just a stupid publicity stunt by ferntits.

Deckard and juanm34 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Daddy I’m bored of being friends with Jalen Green, I wanna be friends with Romelu!:rolleyes: God Bless the Chelsea fans

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure his angle here is buy distressed asset on the cheap -> hope to be a part of the universally reviled European Superleague that flamed out last year along with the Saudis, Emiratis, and the rest of the plutocrats -> cash out.

Or maybe his kids also like soccer? Idk

Nook likes this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He has a better chance at buying Chelsea Clinton.... probably nope to both

DeBeards and Jontro like this.
  12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

So when the pandemic began and shortly thereafter, i went into some depth on speculating about Tilman's financial situation. I did this based on people I know personally in the same industry and same region with similar assets, who are actually acquaintances of the Fertita family There was always discussions about how everyone was doing and what they were doing to get through the pandemic. People in this industry are naturally levered. I based the assumptions on what I was hearing among this group, things were looking grim. I discussed a scenario which did not materialize. The PPP loans and the unprecedented flexibility of the banks in this scenario helped a lot. The banks were in the same situation as the debtors, it made little sense to put the hammer down on them and force them to default. I can speak to the hospitality side of the businesses as this is where we have some mutual acquaintances, I do not know the details about the other business units. Things have more than turned around, they are able to charge room rates they have not ever been able to before. They anticipate the summer to be very good again.

If we were to speculate on liquidity and equity of the assets related to the Rockets, my assumption would be it has improved. Since he did take out significant debt, there is likely no risk of default here anymore. The reason being the LTV has improved because the value of the franchise has increased some ~$500-$600M since he purchased it. If you did have a situation where he could not make payroll (i recall him restructuring Westbrook's contract away from a lump sum due at beginning of the season) I think he could easily pull equity out via a refinance at new valuations. I think the situation here has drastically improved. Again he is involved in businesses which can make you a ton of money, but can also fold in a recession, I think he has gotten past that. There are rumors of NBA expansion to Seattle and Vegas, this would be an immediate $200-$300M cash windfall to every existing owner, if this isnt priced in to the new valuation you are looking at $700-$900M in equity gain on just this one asset.

The link you provided makes a ton of sense, and it is very obvious why it was done. I don't believe it has anything to do with his financial situation, it was more of timing issue with the markets. In fact it shows he is not desperate for outside capital via a public offering if the price is not optimal. When he started that process the market was wild and tons of SPACs were likely over valued. We see the complete opposite of that now, where many SPACs have lost 80-90% of their value because there is no appetite for them now. We also see some SPACs which people may see as oversold in this environment as well. He likely saw the writing on the wall and a potential for a failed SPAC given that article was from December, and look at where we are now. His best friend is Rich Handler (Jefferies), he is very close to wall street and he likely got some advice from his buddy. I saw in December he invited him to his Yacht and flew him in on a helicopter lol, he goes to Knicks games because Tilman hooks him up. This is a very good friend to have.

TLDR; My assumption is Tilly likely not broke no more.

#32 BallSoHarden, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    Amel and Jontro like this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

does this mean he would have to sell the rockets? if so please god please

Deckard, juanm34, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  14. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Tillman just watched an episode of Ted Lasso and thought.. why not?

juanm34, clos4life and daywalker02 like this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's actually trading them to Putin/Abramovich straight up for Chelsea.

There's possibly a misunderstanding about the nature of the Rockets on offer on the Russian side.

gifford1967 likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Im also contemplating buying Chelsea.

clos4life, daywalker02 and Jontro like this.
  17. PeppermintCandy

18. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

****, **** and ****

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No lottery there only relegation to the weaker league.