1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

This whole thread is dumb because there is no mutually-agreed premise.

What does "core" mean?
    Is it the same thing as untouchable players? If so, then we're really just discussing whether or not JG is untouchable. A pointless exercise.
    Why can't the "core" be a flexible thing that changes over time as players develop, get (over)paid, etc?

On a team with this many young players showing so much promise, I think it's pretty silly to say the core is JG only.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think KPJ can learn. This is only the first year he has played PG full time and he's averaging 6 assists a game. I don't see giving up on him until middle of next year.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Last nights game is why I’m hesitant to exclude Sengun from the core.

AlP has been impacted more by our quest for the #1 pick than anyone else on this team. Double big lineups, positive play not rewarded with more minutes…we’ve intentionally left him in the cold because they know more minutes for Sengun means more winning.

We knew in SUMMER LEAGUE that he was ready, and the FO/staff has done everything possible to keep him down.

My claim from months ago remains valid…if we play Green, Martin and Sengun together for too many minutes (and allow them to play the right way), we will win enough games to hurt our odds in the draft.

Those 3 have the potential to be our core, and perhaps Christopher as well. Their strengths compliment each other perfectly.

4. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Honestly I think we will find out by end of the season who the core is once wood/Eric Gordon(hell even Tate) sit more games .. a game like last night and the one before showed what sengun looks like as the starting center with green .. I’m honesly impressed with sengun as a starting center ! I think it’s green and sengun but our coaching staff needs to let the young guns finish the season starting ! Even kj looked amazing as a starter

I would love to give kpj one more year to prove he is a starting PG.. but next year the dream starting lineup would be

KPJ
    Green
    Jabari smith(KJ)
    KJ(Jabari Smith)
    Sengun

#204 HTownTmac1, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    cryout75 likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

I'm with you on the frustration but it was not done for the quest of getting the no 1 lotto pick. They really thought Theis would win more games

saleem likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like KPJ and Jalen Green. KPJ is physically stronger, bigger and he's a better shooter. KPJ and Jalen are scorers. KPJ can pass better, but that isn't his natural strength. As Jalen becomes a more established scorer, KPJ's role will be minimized unless he develops into a Harden type of passer. I don't think he has that kind of ability. Josh Christopher has nothing to do with my assessment. I'm a ROF.
    If any player doesn't pan out for us, he should be traded. The good thing is that our young players are starting to make good progress.

7. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Also we should wait a couple years before deciding on trading any of (green,sengun,KJ, JC) I think we should take the golden state warrior approach and let them grow up and develop together . Do you think they had the philosophy of just curry being their only core piece and trading others? They did smart by letting curry , Thompson and Draymond grow up together ! We got a bunch of 19/20 year olds ! Let them grow for a couple years with whoever we draft (hopefully any of the top 3 picks)

Mr.Scary, Denovo, bballjunkie and 2 others like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen ' The Core' Green

BonziWellsGOAT and Fulgore like this.
  9. verysimplejason

Both players would be best served to have a true PG. A point forward/center could also work.

saleem and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

One more post on the definition of core:

We tend to think of core as just the physical, but it can be cultural too. Think of Vinnie Johnson, Bobby Jones, or even Eric Gordon accepting a bench role. Think of ball movement like the recent Warriors or the Magic-led Lakers or Bird era Celtics. The culture was there to make a better team than the sum of the individual parts. In so doing, the individual parts get elevated as well. It should be noted that on those three teams, the superstar set the cultural baseline.

So, as to the Rockets core, who is good enough on the court and who contributes to the right culture?

Green and Sengun have the potential to be really good basketball players.
    KPJ has the ability to be really good.
    Christopher has the potential to be at least an above average NBA player and, I think, has the right attitude to support the team goals.
    Tate plays like the ultimate glue guy.
    Martin knows his role.
    Gary Bird knows his role.
    Nix is still an open book.

When looking at championship teams and comparing them to the current Rockets, we have a lot of 6-8 rotation guys, a 4-5 guy, and a couple with potential to be 2-3 guys but could also end up as 4-5 guys. We have nobody that is yet a superstar and only one guy that has the potential if you squint hard enough. And it's damn near impossible to win a championship without a superstar--and it's harder still for a superstar to win without complementary players and the right culture.

Which brings me to the coach. I don't see this team developing an identity beyond youth. The kids and Eric seem to be trying to build one, but they need help from above. Our one potential superstar needs help building the baseline culture. We need a new coach and I don't care if they emphasize defense, offense, or best matchups or whatever. Just give this team an identity they can draw on in tough times.

I digress, but anyway, I'm in favor of expanding core to include culture. Gun to head, I'd definitely like to keep Green, Sengun, & JC. KPJ too if he buys into the culture and can function as a wing and backup PG. Right now, I wouldn't throw in Nix or Garuba just to make a trade work. Everyone else is expendable but the Rockets should be deliberate about the moves they make and not chase shiny objects. A team core is always better than a core player.

11. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Jalen and KPJ need to work together this summer, and if KPJ can get in work with an elite PG this summer to it will help him.

Denovo and sydmill like this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sengun can develop into a point center.

verysimplejason, Denovo and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He will be your euro style center. Is he jokic? Maybe not. That’s ok. Give me Jabari or Chet next to Sengun

Mkieke, verysimplejason and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Green has been fantastic. Definitely core. I think Sengun deserves consideration.

KPJ has been really good as of late. What I like is his versatility. Even if he’s not scoring, he’s been a great creator and (dare I say it) a hard working defender. The problem for the Rockets is that it’s likely his off the court issues still impact his trade value. In other words, he’s more valuable to the Rockets than other teams. So I think he ultimately sticks.

I like KJ, Christopher, and Tate a lot. But would part for the right price and assets.

Wood can go.

conquistador#11 and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

The future is bright guys. Any hater rockets fan that cries can slide away. I’m proud of this team and see so much potential.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Green and Sengun and let's see what we draft this year hopefully with a very high pick.

Green is clearly the untouchable right now. I would say Sengun is a very rare kind of talent and should not be given up unless something is really, really good in return (like an established superstar in his prime).

I also think that at some point, we need to cash in with the Nets picks to get a proven star player, preferably a PG. Learn the lesson from the Celtics. They held on to the draft assets for too long.

Everybody else is expendable. I still don't trust Porter. Even if he gets to his ceiling and curbs his behavioral issues, his kind of player--athletic scoring guard with below average court vision--isn't that rare. Christopher can be as good as Porter without the emotion problem. Tate, Martin, and Mathews can be nice bench players, but they are very replaceable.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. StevieCrossover

In a few years when contract is up for renewal, Dont think rockets will be able to afford all the rookies on the team. I sense a mega trade in a few years. It's too early to tell but maybe Green is the only untouchable. Maybe eric gordon signs for the vet minimum (wishful thinking). Unless somebody developes into a super star, we have no core. Or have a crazy good coach who can make anybody look good.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's no reason KPJ can't play SF, his playstyle is a lot like a SF already he anyway he flirtts with triple doubles on a nightly basis. Green and KPJ can still play together, KPJ just can't be the pg full time.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Their mistake is actually squandering Tatum and Brown's youth and trying to compete immediately. They should have a tanked a couple of years to surround their duo and Smart with more pieces but they tried to compete to early first by gettign Horford, Irving and Heyward and when that didn't work getting Kemba Walker.

My opinion now is you can't really mix competing with a youth movement. You gotta wait till your players are into their mid 20s before you can start thinking of competing seriously. NBA is too good for a bunch of young guys to win most they can get is a Finals appearance like OKC or Miami 1st try.

joshuaao, flamingdts and Easy like this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

alethios and verysimplejason like this.