1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember we were talking about why he rarely took midrange shots. Bam, all of a sudden, he's shooting them with confidence.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is the FIRST game where I thought, he might become a number 1 option.

Let's hope he keeps it up...he had a major advantage tonight as all those guys he was going against are twice his age.

DD

3. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Yes, but there is a big difference between saying “Green is playing poorly” (a factual statement earlier this year) and “Green is a bust”, “his ceiling is 6th man”, “Stone is a moron”, “they just made the decision to be popular”, “cut KPJ,” “Trade Green for Gordon,” etc.

We saw SO many arrogant, set-in-stone opinions designed to trumpet how smart the poster was and dumb the rest of the world is … those same arrogant keyboard warriors coming back now with “well we all just wanted him to improve” is ridiculous and transparent.

For fans, valid criticism is fine. But for many it is about their own ego first and foremost. So, they deserve what they get when their hot takes turn out to be wrong.

4. DaDakota

The problem is that some people lump all those fans that were somewhat critical into a pile and call them haters, when that is just not nor has it ever been true.

I still think that Mobley was the better pick because we have SO MANY GUARDS on this team - but, I am rooting for Jalen to become the best player he can be......

Whatever helps the Rockets, we are not all gonna agree on what that is....

But we are all here for the same end....

DD

18pbr likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I can't speak for everybody, my GARM shtick is mostly overreactive posts that are usually crude and funny to me. I'm a fan of the team with near-zero connections to individual players, I talk **** and give love to just about everybody within the organization (except Tilman). I called Jalen a broke dick and I also said he makes me nut, and I'll stand by both of those posts equally.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

First time I've seen a player develop a new core basketball skill literally during a season.

Its equivalent to a player going from 50% free throw shooting to 80% during the season, or a player suddenly developing a hook shot mid-season.

Maybe he's always had it and never used it, but he's hitting them at rates that analytics would say is an efficient shot.

Easy and kpdark like this.
  7. i3artow i3aller

8. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Nothing wrong at all with arguing Mobley is the better pick. And, as a previous poster said, you are one of the ones I don’t have on ignore. The stunningly arrogant ones are a different breed, right @Bobbythegreat ?

9. jacoby

jacoby Member

Hahaha suck it haters.

Dgn1 and DaDakota like this.
  10. DaDakota

This post was perfect.....I mean I am dying laughing here......

Simple is the best....I wish I could like it twice.

Well played sir!!

DD

Believe It! and jacoby like this.
  11. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

[​IMG]

joshuaao, BigMaloe, Dgn1 and 3 others like this.
  12. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He didn’t just develop it, I mentioned it when others was killing him to start season - he was a 3 tier scorer… the Rockets came out and said they wanted him to work on his catch and shoot 3 and playing off ball … it’s in the Silas interview of not putting too much on rookie plate. Take one thing work on it, move on….

He always has a midrange but wasn’t taking them because that’s not what they were focusing on. His FT % always showed that he should be a above average midrange shooter

Now he needs to sprinkle in 8 a game to help open up his drives …

13. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

While we're still in small sample size theater for his midrange game, developing it is pivotal for his game. A strong midrange like CP3. KD, or Kawhi makes you all but immune to defenses. Even when they take away your most efficient shots, you can still burn them. The best floor raiser any offense can have.

joshuaao, BigMaloe, Easy and 4 others like this.
  14. verse

verse Contributing Member

I'm curious. Who's development, as a SG, are you comparing him to, in your mind? The only superstar SG we have "developed" in recent history is Harden and for many reasons that is a completely unfair comparison. I'd argue that Harden was "developed" or in the latter stages of "development" when we acquired him. Harden put his chops in with OKC, not here.

Green is Similac breath smelling baby-new. These things take TIME & PATIENCE. And...a keen eye. Notice the counter moves developed BECAUSE he is slight of frame, for now. Notice the emphasis on spacing, again because of his slight frame. When he gets bigger and stronger it'll be the opposite lesson... not looking for maximum space but looking to create optimal angles where his strength allows him to create contact and finish through it.

You're not looking at a Vince Carter or LeBron entering the league as a freak kid physically who needs time to put together the technical side of the game. You're looking at HIGH SCHOOL development level Kobe or Carter who need to fill out physically and then learn to use those tools against grown men. It's going to take time!

Give him 3 years and evaluate him. Even then he's only ENTERING his BEGINNING of prime years. The fact that he works out with Ja and Curry gives me a lot of good feelings. Those guys are masters of spacing. Applying that knowledge to what should be a 6'5 or taller/ stronger skilled and driven SG should yield great results...in TIME.

On a separate note, I'd love for him to work with Cat Mobley. Slow release SG with an extreme reliance on a lightning first step. I'm sure Cat could give some savvy advice on how to properly weaponize that gift... for however long that lasts.

joshuaao and i3artow i3aller like this.
  15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

SHut up DD, no one cares what you got to say you Jalen Green hater. I’ll still pick Green over Mobley anyday you clown!

16. Rockets4Life13

You forgot the "jaden hardy is much better than Green, we should take him" post :D

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  17. DaDakota

I think this cuts to the core, at number two I did not expect a three years away player.

So, not really having a comparison from a Rockets perspective, I was thinking we would be getting a more finished product.

in the end as long as he keeps growing, at this point is all that matters. And it is not looking like three years after all.

DD

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I understand that he started poorly, but all of those who were predicting he will be fine were watching the same games and looking at the same stats. We knew he was playing poorly too.

However, there were indicators all along that showed there is something special about this kid. It didn't take a genius to see Mobley is going to be a good player a few games into his NBA career. It was harder and riskier to predict Jalen Green has the same potential. It's ok to be wrong sometimes, no one is right all the time. The fact that things are looking good is a win for everyone.

As far as I'm concerned, even if you didn't believe earlier, it's ok to believe now. The more the merrier. It's good news for everyone no matter what they predicted or how they make themselves feel.

#4778 Mathloom, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

After 14 years of Moreyball.

I said that's what he needed to open up his game. I said for Harden too as well. Shots ain't falling you take a closer shot.

Invisible Fan and Easy like this.
  20. conquistador#11

There is criticizing and then there is what you guys were doing, not the same.
    Criticism:Body isn't filled out. He, like the other rooks, is struggling with his shot but man the shot selection has been terrible.

You guys: He sucks. Rockets bought into a highlight video and got scammed. He will never be good.

Very well knowing that rooks progress at different pace with 70 years of nba data to back that up