1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

What should we be doing?

Deckard, dobro1229 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Same reason why US can’t just direct transfer to Ukraine. And why EU has already said no. One proposal was maybe to repaint it, send it to a non-NATO/EU state and have Ukrainian pilots “pick it up” from there. You can imagine the secrecy around it.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're being a little dramatic. The stakes are as high as they can get. The situation changes hourly. There are scores of allies and adversaries to consider. There are numerous departments within each of those and our own governing agencies. It is natural to have plans change, disagreements, contradictory statements etc as we deal with this new and ever-changing situations.

I'm not claiming that it has been perfect. But it's pretty amazing the coordination that has happened. I'm fine with addressing and trying to improve coordination and efficiency.

But it is over-dramatic to be "appalled" and label it a cluster-****. That's just par for the course. I think the only differences are that we have more access and more sensationalism to accompany that access.

Invisible Fan, Nook and Lar like this.
  5. what

what Member

If bliken had not given the proverbial "green light" whatever the hell that means, and poland would have done this then I could understand their position on the matter.
    But blinken made it seem like it was poland holding up the transfer.

All they had to say was that it was a logistics non-starter.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The sanctions have to stay for a good while regardless because of the punishment for an illegal war and massive war crimes. If what Putin did with a significant land gain is allowed to stand without significant cost there will be attack after attack by other bad actors. China won’t think twice about Taiwan. The Saudis will continue to terrorize Yemen, and as soon as Putin licks his wounds he’ll be right back at it going after more land in Ukraine.

FranchiseBlade and Blatz like this.
  7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Biden should visit Putin at the Kremlin and proclaim that he is now best friends with him like his predecessor did with North Korea. @basso has no legitimate answers only criticizing to "own the libs."

dobro1229 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think your bias is showing on that evaluation.

A foreign policy cluster **** would be sucking up to Putin, telling NATO it's no longer needed and pushing our allies away, killing the state department, announcing Putin is more honest than the CIA - should I go on?

Deckard, Lar, Andre0087 and 1 other person like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Question - where are all of our great Mideast allies in this? Gulf states, Israel, KSA?

Answer - literally doing nothing, being some of the few nations abstaining from UN votes condemning Russia, and holding down oil production. Basically on Putin's side

Israel & arab states are aligned on this - thanks guys!

The ROI for 15-20 years of foreign policy focus in the ME is basically nothing for the US

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

We need to invest more in clean energy which will allow us to be more self sustained than ever before. I get that we need oil for the next decade at the minimum but I don't understand why Republicans are against being self reliant no matter what energy we use...unless you're on the board of an oil/gas company or getting "donations" from such industries.

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Clean energy is the way, along with fortifying our electric grid. We can't depend on dictatorships to do the right thing...maybe it's time to remind them who butters their bread in the short-term.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one is going to help us. Not the Saudis and certainly not Venezuela.

And sadly, not US oil companies who give two rats ass about their country.

Ubiquitin and Xopher like this.
  14. HTM

HTM Member

None of the hawks have an answer.

Andre0087 likes this.
  15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

16. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see basso has put on his clown shoes. They are well worn from his WMD/Iraq journey.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

so you’re talking about Trumpers who can’t discern between reality and YouTube video conspiracy theories

Deckard likes this.
  18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Oh, those countries are certainly on Putin's side. Saudi Arabia and UAE both declined Biden's phone calls today. They took Putin's call.

America has never looked weaker on the world stage. Biden & Co are idiots for thinking the Nov 10, 2021 strategic partnership agreement with Ukraine was a good idea. It led us here. The humanitarian cost of this foreign policy blunder is extreme.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Congratulations, you have succinctly summarized the problem with Trumpers and much of the Republican Party. You and Basso are on a roll.

AleksandarN likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Let me guess. “The same thing BUT BETTER!!!”

Just like with Afghanistan, everyone wants to both say they want to do the obvious reasonable thing but at the same time raise hell criticizing the obvious reasonable thing because there were challenges that happened along the way in executing difficult tasks even if they are the right decisions that everyone wants to say they are for.

Deckard likes this.