1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Mar 6, 2022.

?

How many on the current roster (15 man) will be there to start the 2023 season?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2022.
  1. 1 - Keep Sengun, everyone else is trash

1.1%
  2. 2-5 - Most of our guys need to go

18.3%
  3. 6-10 - Major house cleaning

37.6%
  4. 11-12 - Need 3-4 pieces

36.6%
  5. 13-14 - One or two new guys ought to do it

4.3%
  6. All of them. We aint gettin' rid of nobody

2.2%
  1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

All I hope to see is some development from our youngins, drafting the most talented players available to us, and trading away Wood--who will be much better on an established team and not taking away minutes and shots from our future stars.

Stephen_A likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Rockets try to trade Wood and Gordon, but only actually trade Nwaba. I think Rockets add Queen to an NBA contract either before end of the season or before beginning of next. Very similar to JR's list except with Queen.

1. Jalen Green
    2. Top 7 draft pick
    3. Eric Gordon
    4. Kevin Porter Jr.
    5. Jae’Sean Tate
    6. Christian Wood
    7. 15th-20th draft pick
    8. Josh Christopher
    9. Alperen Şengün
    10. Garrison Mathews
    11. K.J. Martin
    12. Trevelin Queen
    13. Usman Garuba
    14. Daishen Nix
    15. John Wall

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

60+ million coming off the books season after next.

Intriguing free agents in the 2023 offseason:
    • Nikola Jokic
    • Andrew Wiggins
    • Myles Turner
    • Lebron James
    • Zion Williamson (RFA)
    • Gary Trent Jr
    I'm assuming Jokic and Lebron resign with their respective teams, so it's frankly not that impressive of a free agent class. I am very much interested in seeing how the Zion situation plays out in New Orleans. Adding him could be our star move.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

EGO isn't an attractive contract or player for a team with a high lotto pick. They don't want to trade back from like pick 7 to pick 14 in order to bring in Gordon. More likely a 25-30 team might give us a pick - but even then trading 14 and 25 doesn't get to 7.

We don't have the assets to get two top 5 picks...

No Worries likes this.
  5. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

NEVER get rid of Tate! He is our starting forward for the next decade!

Stephen_A, snowconeman22 and jcmoon like this.
  6. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

its not that i dont like him but the man cant hut the three well enough, and i dont want to pay him on potential at his age….hell just be exposed in the playoffa. Theyll leave him wide open all day and stop his driving

red5rocket likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What does C.Wood get you? I really wonder about his value.

The metrics call him a unicorn (offensively), 18/10 on 38% shooting from 3 from the 4 or 5 spot.

It's not very likely teams outside the top 5 getting a better player, regardless of position than Wood is right now. Who'd be willing to bite ?

Orlando or Detroit if they land outside the top 3 ?

OKC
    Indiana
    Sacramento
    Portland
    NyK
    New Orleans
    Washington

Brooklyn pick plus Wood ..... where does that get you ?

Even if Wood isn't enough to get you back into the top 5, you still have a ton of assets / draft picks to make that happen if you really want to. Question is, do you really want to .... that's debatable for certain.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Get rid of Wall, Wood and Gordon. Down to give everyone else another year with hopefully a nice draft prospect.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If he is we will suck for the next decade. He is a nice role player off the bench.

red5rocket likes this.
  10. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’m hoping we land in the top 2

I say package Gordon & Tate for first round pick & expiring contracts

Then I’d honestly trade Wood & probably 4-5 of our collective first round picks(maybe even 6) for another top 3 pick in the draft. My dream would be to sell the farm of out picks and come out of the draft with 2/3 of jabari, Chet, or Ivey. If we land in the top 3 I say sell the farm for another top 3 pick.

KPJ/nix
    Green/Christopher
    Chet/?
    Smith/kj
    Sengun/?

11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Rockets actually have all the assets needed to get whoever strikes their fancy. It’s just a matter of price. If they covet a player at #8 or #9, they could swoop in and go for it. Look at what we gave up to move to #16 to snag Sengen.

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can’t expect Wood to move you too high in the draft because he’s an expiring contract. Generally, teams drafting high are bad and need long term players with potential. Trading Wood at the deadline to a contender likely would have brought the biggest return because that team would be paying for two playoff runs with him.

Stephen_A, DrNuegebauer and jim1961 like this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

16 and 8 are pretty different though...

Ok, and sure, we could give up future 1sts to move up. That is true. I'd be horrified if we did that in this draft.
    I'm terms of using player assets to move up - I don't see what we have what a lotto team would be willing to trade back 8 spots to gain (and that we might be willing to move)

Rockets FTW likes this.
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Blazers would be the most obvious choice. They need to improve immediately and they have (as of right now) two lottery picks this year. They likely need to trade one for a player. Christian Wood could be very desirable for them.

PatBev, snowconeman22 and sydmill like this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think you see what the rockets pick this year along with the other 4 rookies development next year gets you. A top 6 pick this year, Green, Sengun, Garuba, Christopher and KPJ will give you ample youth. Then use the below to target someone in the draft or in a trade to add to the team at a needed position. I presume the Rockets end up with a top 10 pick again next season, so perhaps try to move up if it is at say the 8th position to number 4 etc.

While attempting to move the Nets pick/Wood/Gordon for an asset next draft.

You then have that asset, Bucks pick, and the Rockets pick next season.

16. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think the most (or atleast the top 2 most) important thing for the Rockets is the development of their young guys. Green needs to add strength and work on his handle, KPJ needs to get tons of reps with his teammates, Sengun needs to work on his body and his outside shot. Everyone else should be staying in Houston working on their shot and getting in run with KPJ and Green as much as possible. Next year we should see drastic improvement from this year's rookies and, hopefully, KPJ coming into year 2 as a PG.

Free Agency
    Obviously now is not the time to splurge in free agency but I could be down signing a guy like Thaddeus Young as a veteran big to work with Sengun and, hopefully, Jabari Smith. Maybe like a one year deal with an option for a second?

Trade
    Christian Wood + Brooklyn pick (#15) to Portland for Eric Bledsoe and the NOP pick (#9) and one of their second round picks (#38 or #59).

Draft
    Rockets pick - Jabari Smith (Wing/4, Auburn)
    NOP/Port pick - Kendall Brown (Wing/3, Baylor)
    SRP - Oscar Tshiebwe (Center, Kentucky)

1 - KPJ/Nix
    2 - Green/Christopher
    3 - Brown/Tate
    4 - Smith/Martin
    5 - Sengun/Garuba/Tshiebwe

with Gordon, Young and Mathews as veteran depth/leadership.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I doubt that NO would give up the 9th pick for Wood and the Brooklyn Pick much less throw in a second. I think Wood has pretty much tanked his value. Everybody else sees the same thing with his defense as we do.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

The NO pick is owned by Portland. Portland seems to be all in on keeping Lillard and I cant see a rookie pick (likely a one and done freshman) moving the needle much for them. Wood certainly is not at his highest point value wise but I think teams remember seeing what he looks like when he is paired with a true difference maker setting the table for him. I think that Wood has more value to Portland than a draft pick in this context. AND, they still have their own top 10 pick and would be getting Brooklyn's top 20 pick in the deal. So I dont see this as that much of a stretch. But Im just a guy at a keyboard on the internet.

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don’t think Houston Is goin to major players in free agency again during this rebuild phase until the team is competitive and one piece away like the Dwight free agency. And I believe our big star acquisition outside of the draft will be via trade with all the picks and asset we’ve accumulated.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Please just get rid of wood

cmoak1982 likes this.