1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The @Os Trigonum Ron DeSantis Censorship Special

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 6, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't know, maybe you can do some research and find out.

But clearly, Florida has been positioning itself as the anti-California (and I like that).

Seems to work for Florida. Many more people are moving in that direction than the other way around. People are voting with their feet.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You DON'T KNOW, yet you are using that as reasoning as to why this law was created and didn't include heterosexuality?

You'll fit right in. Just saying stuff without any proof.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

VooDooPope likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I didn't write the law. I knew nothing about it, until I was tagged in this thread. Then I read the law and agreed with it. Now y'all can crucify me.

5. bobrek

That has nothing to do with the fact that you just made a claim that you can't back up.

Why would you make a statement of fact that you cannot back up?

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Which one?

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

The thing about having children of your own is you're never really sure what they're going to turn out to be in life. You may in fact have a gay son or daughter or be an uncle to a gay niece or nephew. They listen to what's said among family circles at dinner when topics of gay people are brought up. They hear the slurs casually said about them indirectly and it's coming from members of their own family that are helping raise them. That does devastating damage to a child's self esteem that is gay or trans. Because it's like your loved ones say they love you but not completely based on how they really feel about some part of themself that is only a fraction of their total identity. And they're kids. They don't have the authority to speak up the way an adult does and defend themselves. They haven't even developed the vocabulary yet to even describe the hurt felt just hearing slurs like that growing up while having no choice but to put up with it. They just know what's being heard among people who claim to love them is hurtful and it's wrong. And you're advocating for that while acting like an ally. And you think that's okay because you don't have to deal with it or know someone who does. Shameful man.

Xopher and deb4rockets like this.
  9. bobrek

Screenshot_20220307-110442_Chrome.jpg

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would love my children just the same if they were gay.

Funny story, my wife's cousin grew up in a household in the UK where they would basically be rather conservative and mock anything "different"...certainly Germans, Asians, Homosexuals, etc. etc.

When I first met that cousin, it was quite obvious he was gay, but the parents seemed to be totally oblivious to it. He only came out years later. So all the stuff you are describing may or may not have affected him (I never asked - but I was wondering about how he must have felt growing up, listening to all of that). But they are just as loving with him now as they were before, fortunately.

Anyway, they got almost all the things they were mocking - a gay son, a half Asian, half German "almost son-in-law". They are lovely people anyway.

London'sBurning likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know, what am I, your research associate? You can do some research on your own. Certainly California has a law like that. Maybe other states.

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

That's good to read. Glad your family steps up for people that are family. Should support legislation that doesn't hurt members of their family too.

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you did, then you couldn't vote for someone like DeSantis, who treats homosexuals the way he does. They shouldn't be treated as "less than" because of the way they were born.

Xopher and VooDooPope like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What has he done?

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So if a gay teacher mentions that they have a spouse of the same gender even causally, they could be in violation of this law and sued by parents.

If you are defending that you are defending oppression and cruelty.

jchu14 and deb4rockets like this.
  16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Peppa Pig is gay. You might want to start the conversion therapy.

AroundTheWorld and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously?
    Please inform yourself.

In the past month, the Republican governor of Florida has endorsed some of the most anti-LGBTQ+ legislation in America. But that sadly follows suit for a possible presidential contender who is increasingly wooing America’s far right. Here’s a summary of slights and assaults...

https://www.advocate.com/politics/2...r-ron-desantis-attack-lgbtq-gay-rights-record

London'sBurning likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That sounds overly dramatic to me. I would hope that such a lawsuit would not be successful. Mentioning something in passing is very different from "classroom instruction" or forcing a topic/ideology into the curriculum.

It seems to me that some of you people are trying to create an overly dramatic scenario because you don't like conservatives.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Coming from the side that labels anything that resembles empathy as "woko haram".

Self reflection. Dude.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What is the + for?

I don't know about all the other stuff, but I totally agree with him on banning biologically male people from competing in women's sports. Anything else is ridiculously unfair to biological girls/women. There is another thread on that.

At first sight, vetoing the money for mental health support for Pulse massacre victims seems wrong, but I would have to read up on all the different things.

What I do know is that I have conservative gay friends who like DeSantis. So all your attempts to villainize the guy - which is a recurring theme on the left - aren't welcomed by everyone you guys/girls want to "protect".