1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Batman = Robert Pattinson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, May 17, 2019.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think this is The MO that works for DC
    and to an extent Marvel

The Joker was a movie about a man's descent into madness .. .they just threw some paint on him and called it the Joker
    Taxi Driver in White Face. The movie the director wanted to make but could not get it made until he attached the Joker name to it.

Winter Soldier felt very Spy Movie ish . . .then threw Captain American into it

Rocket River

Kim and Xerobull like this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Curious how many emo men cried watching this.

[​IMG]

4. H. Christopher

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I will only see it if he says "I'm the new Batman!".

Jontro likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Holy crap, I loved it. Way more than I expected to. The deepest dive into the character of Batman in any of the films imo.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Definitely felt like watching a comic book or game story on a movie screen. Gonna see it a second time with my daughter later next week

htownrox1 and MadMax like this.
  8. MadMax

My younger son (17) is going tonite with friends and I’d love to go with them to see it again…but I doubt his friends would be jazzed about me joining them lol. I definitely plan to see it again though.

Jontro likes this.
  9. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I also really enjoyed it. I think I liked it better than any of Nolan's. The Dark Knight was the best of that bunch and I didn't feel like going out to watch that twice.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Really? Wow! That's a strong review, especially considering the number of films focused on Batman. I'll have to go see it. I'm a movie junkie anyway.

I remember having fun taking our kids to the movies, getting popcorn and stuff. Now they've been out of college for years, with our son living in Dallas (of all places), but maybe our daughter, who hasn't left Austin, will go with me. She likes films like this if they're well done. My significant other probably wouldn't go, however. Maybe if Nolan directed it. "Who's Matt Reeves? He directed the recent Planet of the Apes movies? No way! Too violent!" Something along those lines.

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Oh man, I knew I was gonna love this from the very opening scene. It's a different, darker take on the character, and it focuses heavily on his crime solving skills. It felt very noir. I even got shades of Blade Runner with the look of Gotham. There's so much to digest, from the tortured characters and the performances behind them, the brooding and memorable score, the incredible camera angles and photography. This is an experience not for people who love superhero movies, but for those who love film.

htownrox1, MadMax and Kim like this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

will this be on netflix?

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I would guess HBO Max when it comes to streaming.

Jontro and Xerobull like this.
  14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Did anyone catch the Venom Batman took at the end of the movie? Looks like they might be setting up Knightfall with Bane breaking everyone out of Arkham in the sequel.

cwebbster and Kim like this.
  15. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Big Batman fan so I really was hoping the wouldn't mess it up, it was a really good take on Batman.

As others phrased it exactly how I felt, I have Dark Knight as the best superhero movie for me and it was somewhere in the Nolan Trilogy. If some said it was the second best Batman film I could understand.

Great cinematography and style in the movie, a sign it was excellent was that I didn't feel the three hours at all and it kept things moving. Making the Riddler like the Zodiac was brilliant, Zoe had a strong performance and props to Pattinson he pulled it off well. The audience clapped at the end in my showing which was cool.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ummm..... just saw it and still hyped!
    9/10.
    I want Arkham Asylum style second movie with Joker/Riddler/Penguin and others running amok in the Asylum.

MadMax likes this.
  17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I got Long Halloween vibes from the movie and with the way it ends I could see a No Mans Land influenced sequel.

RKREBORN likes this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just saw it.

Seemed like an above average terror/mystery thriller with a batman theme taped on top of it.

You could literally strip all the DC stuff from it and basically tell the same story.

Felt quite a bit like the Joker.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. MadMax

I am still trying to figure out where I rank this movie among not just Batman movies but among my favorites of all time. Before Friday night, I would have told you that Die Hard and Dark Knight are probably #1 and #2 for me, in no particular order. That I'm seriously rethinking that should tell you how I felt about it. The movie stayed with me all weekend, honestly. And obviously through this morning still :)

As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't wait to hear from my 17 year old after he saw it last night...he texted right after it and said, "Finished the movie it was insanely good. I may honestly like it more than the Christian Bale movies. This was one of the best movies I've ever seen." I completely agree with him on all of that.

A few thoughts that some may consider spoilers, though really more to tone and big picture:
    1. I read someone else say that Nolan did a great job of bringing the comics to real life..but this movie brings real life to the comics. The feel of Gotham is fantasy level awful...I don't mean that Reeves did an awful job portraying it but rather that he portrayed a city so awful that it's clearly comic level fantasy...but it's absolutely amazing to see.

2. Batman is the focus. In Nolan's movies it often felt like the villain was the focus. Here, Bruce Wayne is a tortured soul. He strides in less like a hero and more like an ominous personification of dread and terror. He's honestly scary, particularly early in the movie, and yet at the same time still completely vulnerable. Difficult to explain, but you'll know what I mean when you see it.

3. I did not expect to like Pattinson as much as I did...but he plays the tortured soul really well. There is some dialogue at parts of this movie that just seems way deeper than what I've seen from Bruce Wayne before.

4. It's so intense. It's a horror movie paced like a detective movie with Batman as the focus. The tone reminds me most of Se7en, another one of my all time favorites. It is grim, and yet there's this glimmer of hope from character development even though it all seems still to be so overwhelmingly big and bad.

5. Visually, it's just amazing. There are more than a few stillshots that stand out in my mind after that even in the midst of the intensity of the moment in the story you are wowed by.

6. The soundtrack is great. Batman’s theme is way more Imperial March from Star Wars than the anthem of a comic book movie hero. It lends itself so well to the tone of the overall movie and particularly to the way Batman is presented in this movie as way more ominous and fear inspiring

#280 MadMax, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    JumpMan likes this.