1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden SOTU

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 1, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Biden won the night.

This being only a 4-page thread shows there was not much to nitpick about.

Even though @Os Trigonum @J.R. really tried to stir it up.

joshuaao, FrontRunner, Amiga and 2 others like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You're talking something that will be abusive to a super super small subset of parents. The parents who loathe trans people and have made trans issues a huge issue in Texas for some weird reason see this type of retaliation against trans parents as a good thing.

Remember, the right has demonstrated that they have no problem with persecution as long as it isn't THEIR group getting it.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tbh I turned off the stream halfway through because my bp was low and ready for a nap.

What a boring ratings nightmare, unlike that other dude who had drama and tension every other minute.

But

They're also the first to immediate call for forgiveness and moving on when the tables turn despite their glee at ramping up the nastiness when they're in control.

Not very principled or brave.

VooDooPope and jiggyfly like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I was thinking of moderate Republicans and Libertarians. Heavy handed abusive government will turn some of them off. Doesn't matter in TX thought except perhaps for the primary.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this didn't register on me last night, and I watch the whole thing. agree it doesn't make any sense

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

even Biden loyalists agree with me about the blah blah blah

joshuaao likes this.
  9. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Biden started off strong with his support of Ukraine and reinforcing our commitment to protect NATO countries. But he should've used this moment to reinforce why his agenda needs to be passed. We need to produce domestically via Build Back Better bc we have seen the pains of depending on global supply chains after Covid and the Russia-Ukraine crisis. We need to invest in energy production to lessen the influence of undemocratic petro-states like Russia. All the pieces are there, just need to tie it to a compelling narrative that Americans can rally behind.

Instead, he spent the second half of his speech just rattling off democratic priorities that have little to no chance of passing (which just reinforces his inability to influence Congress to pass his agenda).

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Has there been a SOTU address of consequence? One that “turned the tide”, “moved the needle”, or whatever?

Biden needed to not mess things up. He did that. He wasn’t going to become a great orator. He wasn’t going to say magic words that make republicans less partisan.

The SOTU was all downside, no upside. Unless you can convince me that in the possible outcomes chart, there was some possibility of Biden moving the needle.

- Biden announces sanctions on Russian Oil … still too weak, going to exacerbate inflation, boooo, moron…

- Biden goes full Republican and temporarily expands oil and gas production in the US - boooo, Biden still sucks,
    , rampant inflation, he’s just weak and caving, not a real leader, diaperbrain, boo boo boo.

- Biden threatens Putin and says if you don’t leave Ukraine in a Week, we move in .. boooo, warmongerer, crazy man.

none of that crap is going to move midterms.

In a Biden v trump 2024 election, only the economy, inflation and Covid/whatever the then current crisis is… those are the only things that matter to the swing voters.

Xopher, Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, unwatchable. The libs of clutchfans arent going to criticize their messiah.

ROXRAN likes this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

...and the far right wing here refuses to go against their dear leader. What's new?

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Jim Joyner:

Biden’s State of the Union Speech
    Most people liked it more than I did.

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/bidens-state-of-the-union-speech/

excerpts:

IIn recent years, I’ve tended to skip Presidential addresses and simply read the transcript the next morning. Given the crisis in Ukraine and the shift in the US COVID strategy, though, I watched it live and was dismayed at the stumbling delivery. A President who is clearly very much in command came across to me as addled and lost, constantly slurring words and losing his place.

It seems that mine was a minority view.

It fell flat for me on delivery and may be worse as written. The combination of the pandemic-driven shocks to the supply chain and the strategic competition with China has highlighted the dangers of reliance on imports in key sectors. But the notion that we’re going to somehow manufacture everything in America, pay much higher wages, and yet simultaneously bring down costs is absurd. Ditto spending massive amounts of money on pet projects while bringing down deficits.

More frustratingly, this was followed by haranguing corporations, including pharmaceutical companies, as greedy profiteers who don’t pay their fair share of taxes. Which will surely encourage more investment in creating good jobs right here in America.

The speech drug on and on, as has been the trend for many years now, with a long laundry list of programs and platitudes, very few of which will ever be implemented. The weird bit about burn pits that inexplicably had Speaker Pelosi jumping for joy. Ending opioid addiction. Funding the police! Curing cancer! A DARPA but for health. Saving democracy!
    more at the link

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Many Trump supporters literally see Trump as the Messiah. I've seen plenty of criticism of Biden from 'libs' here. Astrodome seems very confused.

Andre0087 likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I often think back at 2012 and ponder if Mitt Romney had won we'd probably be better off as a country but that could be said about various Presidential races of the past...

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

18. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess you will see how much he WON THE NIGHT in NOVEMBER!!!!

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

No one's gonna remember what he said by November, he might not himself. :cool:

ROXRAN likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Messiah?

I don't see street corners with tents set up selling Biden merchandise a full year and a half after the election.

I don't still see signs or flags for President Biden in yards a full year and a half after the election.

I don't see commercials for "Bidenbears".

There is a clear cult-like behavior going on from one side and it ain't liberals. Actually, it's not cult-like. It's a straight up cult.