1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rox and Green - Put up or shut up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 20, 2022.

1. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

KPJ wouldn’t even be on the team if they followed his advice lol

Reeko likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WTF?

Ok, that is just malarkey, I have been a KPJ guy even when he left at halftime. Let's try to keep it real - and not made up, this is not Fox News and propaganda....

Man, some of you are so desperate to change the narrative to the messenger, because you can't handle the truth of the message.

DD

3. conquistador#11

Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge. I'm tryin' not to loose my head.

Ramo$e and DaDakota like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Pivot to what?

As long as Green isn't producing up to expectations, people are going to find something to complain about instead of just finding acceptance.

Ramo$e likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

that was the critique for Mobley on here pre-draft

D-rock likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

facts

KPJr was 1 of the worst players in the league for most of this season, but u never heard any talk about how he needs to come off the bench or earn his spot. Matter of fact, these same people wanted him starting and getting all the PT and touches right after getting traded here for a top 55 protected pick. What had KPJr earned? It’s a different energy for Jalen Green tho. It’s really nothing more than a bunch of hypocrites making threads and lame post after post.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  7. DaDakota

So, wait, I want to understand what you are saying, you are saying that folks should stop complaining and just accept the player Green is, no matter how far he is from being a finished product, or....even as he himself and the org has advertised.

I am sorry, but it seems that many of us who are dissappointed in any player come here to vent, and are frankly tired of excuses for why player X is struggling.

1. KPJ is not a PG
    2. Silas has him standing in a corner
    3. Refs aren't calling fouls
    4. Only 20 years old
    etc...etc....etc.....

While many of those things are certainly a factor - the fact is that the player was supposed to be "The Most NBA ready player in the draft".......when the reality is that he is like many players drafted much lower - and somehow our org failed in their due diligence to discern that fact.

Now, what is done is done, Green is a Rocket and we should all be cheering for him to improve ASAP - I think most of us are doing that - but it doesn't mean he is free from criticism, any player who comes in with that much fanfare and slips and falls flat, would get ridiculed, for now it will be how he grows from here......

The point of this thread is that I think it would benefit him if he just showed it on the court and stopped bragging about stuff until he does something in the league.

DD

Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

Green's answer when pressed if Gup's passing was partially to blame.

“There was nothing wrong with Josh, nothing on him at all. You miss or make those, especially when you try to do a dunk like that. It’s pretty challenging.”

Why would we want this kid to shut up again? He's out here shielding his kankii and accepting all the blame. That's leadership imo. You love to see it out of someone so young.

aaquaa, Roomba, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

More like just accept the situation that we drafted Green since you have no real control. All the extra stuff is besides the point.

And I like to vent about those who vent.

Just because some on here with expectations that are not in line with reality doesn't mean you get to dump your emotions on the GARM without criticism.

I think some criticism is more useful than other. Some criticism comes off as way too personal.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Venting is one thing, but when you create your very own thread to vent you're going to take heat for it.

11. conquistador#11

12. DaDakota

That's fair, but it should be about the topic, but I think that is fair.

DD

Ramo$e and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Who has Silas development?
    Are we giving him credit for Luka?

Rocket River

Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  14. noppeper

noppeper Member

I agree with the gist of what DD is saying here, simply because my personality is much more aligned with the "shut up and play" type. It's part of why I always looked up to Olajuwon, for being so awesome, but with a humble demeanor (even in his fiery Akeem days). I never saw that demeanor as being a beta personality - he was obviously somebody you did not f with. He just didn't have to scream at the top of his lungs how awesome he was so everybody could hear it.

The part that bothers me about Green's outspokenness is his focus on individual goals and not so much about team, at least in the things he does say publicly (which could very well just be part of a persona). This is what I saw and heard from him pre-draft, and what I still see from him to this day. I think his talk taints my perception of his play on the court, as what I see is a player that mainly only cares about what he can do for himself, instead of for the team, and this to the detriment of the team. Then, my perception is supported by advanced statistics, and yeah, it leads me to get to the moment of just going "just shut the f up for chrissakes" when he taunts an opponent after a dunk or three point make. Come on dude, your team is one of the worst in the league, please have the awareness to understand context and run back to defend, instead of showboating.

Obviously my perception won't matter in the end, especially for a 20 year old with so little experience - because every player/human is an individual universe, with different growth paths. In my life I've met very successful people that are showboat-y, as well as ones that are not, along with everything in between. Green might fall on his face, and have the type of personality that will take that as extra motivation to get better. He might take all of the criticism and mockery, and use it to become a better player, and then go back to social media and laugh at all the non-believers. He might, at some point, start thinking about playing winning basketball, instead of individual accolades. Or...he might not. Who knows.

So bottom line, I'd rather he just shut up, at least until he starts proving it on the court, but I know full well that whether he does or not will probably have no bearing on the player he will eventually become.

DaDakota, Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The difference between veteran basketball players and rookies isn't all about knowledge and awareness - you need actual in game reps to get your mind and body in alignment on how you read and react in the moment because the game is SO fast you can't learn that from watching others play. If so, - I - would be better than Jalen Green right now because I've probably watched more professional basketball than him at this point(admittedly I'm a geezer who has been watching since Clyde and Akeem were at U of H). This is especially true for a guy like Green who utilizes elite speed and quickness to make shots for himself and plays for others - he needs to be able to think through the game quicker than his peers to be able to fully take advantage of his god given talents of speed and quickness. What is the value in being able to get to "the spot" faster than his opponents if he then has to waste precious extra milliseconds trying to Observe, Orient, and Decide on how he is going to Act next?

Ramo$e likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People have always complained about everything and everyone. I remember when people used to bemoan Harden playing one on one off the dribble - he used to be not so good at it if you can recall under McHale - and there was a lot of criticism about how McHale gave the ball to Harden too much from both Lin fans and non Lin fans.

Patience has never been Rocket fans' virtue

Ramo$e likes this.
  17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I feel like he’s had some moments where he shows his age. Which I completely understand…I just feel like if he truly wants to be that max guy which we want him to be.

He needs to be all business, say, do, act and carry himself as leader at all times.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I really wish people didn't have expectations. Of course you want him to be good. He has the tools. Player development means progressing to a higher level than previous acknowledged. The key is it takes time. Jalen is learning. Dropping bad habits and picking up good ones. The problem is Rockets fans haven't developed young players in decades. It's foreign to fans in this fast past, give me everything now, world.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

Lowry? And it took fans going to his twitter and fat shaming him for playing video games. lol awe man time goes by too fast.

D-rock and Ramo$e like this.
  20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Love your profile pick by the way. Lol