1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets @TANKATHON - 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Dec 22, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Chet is skinny.

But he is tough and surprisingly physical.

Absorbs contact really well, especially through his lower body.

And his insane length allows him to recover from any mistakes.

BallaDoc likes this.
  2. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because genius fans here think the Rockets need to win games to show improvement / development

Nook likes this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

im anti tank , but agree at this point . While I would like to see some fruits blooming from the season of development so far .. I want good odds . Falling 1-2 spots isn’t the end of the world for me . But if we start winning too much I expect us to sit guys .

but , there also had to be an understanding that we won’t tank again next year . If we happen to end up with the 8th pick ... that’ll just have to be good enough . Either trade assets to move up this year and get your guy or have faith in your development process and bring in multiple young players .

move wood and Gordon for future value .

It’s been shown that you can get good players , even superstar players anywhere in the draft , and especially mid to late lottery .

Curry fell to 7 , klay 11 , giannis 13 , Kawhi 15 .

To win , you have to beat the odds anyways . No one does it with 5 starters as 5 top 5 picks in consecutive years ... or even 3 ..

Combo of draft / FA / trades and development is and has always been the answer .

there’s a lot more variance now with the lottery .

the g-league has expanded as a minor league system .

I want to have a culture that promotes winning and only under extraordinary circumstances should losing be a goal .

Hopefully we naturally lose as a byproduct of being a young- growing team and not because we decide to play bad combinations to lose or guys intentionally sit .

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  4. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

If wood has to be a wing to be effective that’s an inefficient use of our cap. If he can’t guard bugs there is no value to him attempting to guard wings. If he’s pulled away from the rim he’s not quick laterally enough or mobile enough to navigate screens. Might as well pay his salary to a guy who can lock down wings and hit higher 3point percentage (I’ll be honest and say idk his percentage off the top of my head though) and find a big who can guard.

5. StevieCrossover

Lose for Chet. After that, i think we need a new coach to shake up the culture and roster. Strive for 8th or 9th after next years draft but please stay competitive.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We'll see how long those skinny legs and feet last. History is filled with fallen giants.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sure.

FYI - heard all the naysayers about Mobley too.

Both Mobley and Chet are much more physical players than Green.

You are making a judgement strictly on their frames but disregard their play style and injury history completely.

clos4life and KingSamJack like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

History doesn't tell a good story - for people with those frames, that's all I am saying. I said the same thing with Yao when we drafted him and was burned pretty heavily on this board.

Look across the NBA and people that frame don't last long as centers or even power forwards unless they are primarily perimeter players. Garnett is the sole exception I can think off which is scary.

Walton, Yao, Bradley, Sampson, Oden, the list goes on and on. And Mobley is just a rookie - who knows what happens when he starts putting on weight.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

If he puts weight on the right way e.g. Giannis or Durant, should not be as problematic.

Especially for a league that has become less paint emphasis and more perimeter oriented.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

TANKING CAN BE TRICKY even if you pick the right guy...

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yeah im done with this org

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oden? I think you meant Lamar Odom!

[​IMG]

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how come gup doesnt deserve 30 + minutes?
    man silas made us set the bar so low... what a moron...

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

aint nobody fixing silas... hes a total mess..

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Aint nothing wrong with Silas, its Wood that's broken (Mis-used) defensively.

If they could play a lick of defense, they'd be a very good team, their offensive numbers are pretty damn good.

6th in points in the paint.
    1st in FT attempts.
    4th in 3 point rate.

Their problem is defense and that starts with Wood not protecting the rim at all.

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

None of those guys have the same Body frame as Chet though. They don’t even have the same body frames as each other either.

They are all just “tall”…

And people think about the 7 footers careers cut short by injury, but this isn’t exclusive to 7 footers. I don’t even know if it’s even mostly been 7 footers.

Look at Zion now, Brandon Roy, Derrick Rose is still playing but injuries obviously made him a vastly different player, Tmac, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Maravich, Mashburn retired after microfracture surgery, Gilbert Arenas, Larry Johnson…

D-rock and clos4life like this.
  17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yep.

My only concern would be whether him and Sengun could play together.

I expect Sengun to improve as a player so I think they could.

Chet plays well with Timme who is comparable to Sengun in that he likes to post and pass from the high post area.

Offensively I wouldn’t be concerned, but defensively is where they would to figure things out.

D-rock and Corrosion like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Again, my statement is that the risk of a 7 footer getting injuries at the knee or below is MUCH HIGHER than anyone else. That's all. Therefore I would be hesitant to take a thin 7 footer that would be banging inside a lot.

xaos likes this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Seems like we are getting win number 16 on Friday

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

And my post was saying that isn’t necessarily true. They’ve done actual studies on this and most come back inconclusive. All nba players have high risk of injuries at the knees and below due to the nature of the sport. Shaun Livingston, PG13, and Gordon Hayward all had gruesome leg injuries that had nothing to do with being over 7ft or banging inside.

There are articles and quotes from the internet that say various things about injuries and player height. This is the most complete info I’ve found. It takes a look at a 17 year period and it’s an actual scientific study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445097/

YOLO likes this.