1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop using dumb nicknames

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mav3434, Jul 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Tmo MoT DRob ERob JDub Cweb Jlo

What do all these nicknames have in common? They are boring and uncreative and overused and dumb. Did anybody call Wilt Chamberlin WilChay? Or Oscar Robertson ORob? No, they had cool nicknames. like the Stilt or the Big O.

Just imagine if this lameass naming system was in place in the 80's, then Dominique Wilkins = Dwil..is this cooler or is "human highlight film" a little more creative? Earvin Johnson = Ejohn..this sounds like an online toilet facility. Granted, the internet is notorious for sentence fragments and bad grammar, but for the sake of brevity we sacrifice our creativity and our humanity. David Robinson is the Admiral. He is not Drob. He may be a little sissy girl who sucks, but he is still the Admiral.

We are not Stuart Scott, we are not Jim Rome, we are not even those lame guys who come on the 2 am sportscenter whose names nobody remembers, who use these nicknames in a bizarre attempt to sound like they have been balling at Rucker Park on 155th Street on the weekends.

The minute I see hakeem referred to as "H-Ol" or "Keem-Ol" or "H-laj" I am going to projectile vomit.

------------------

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No, he is the little mermaid [​IMG]. I agree with you on the rest, though.

------------------
    Rockets' offseason tasks in order of priority:
    • Get rid of Cato under any circumstances.
    • Sign Chris Webber.
    • Re-Sign Hakeem.
    • Re-Sign Moochie and AirBullard.
    • Pick up the Langhi option for another year.
    • Trade for Bo Outlaw and Raef LaFrentz.

.....-'-.
    ../`.....|__
    /`....--`-,-`
    '-|`...o.'<-....[]
    ..\....._\__).\=`
    ...C_..`....,_/
    .....|.;----'

come back with your original name...now that everyone is changing their screen names anyway :)

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

well then, designate a nickname for each player on our Roster or that we're interested in.

I say T-mo becuz it's short. I use VC for Vince Carter rather then "Air Canada." Get it ? Good. Now get out.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

4. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

Only things I don't like are those damned J-Lo, C-Web like nicknames.

------------------
    Anyone need a C/C++/Win32/HTML/PHP/SQL/Java/Perl/x86 coder?

5. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

W-fo

------------------

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Hey Mav, why don't you go and fix your screenname, they're the Mavericks not the Mavs.

7. red

red Contributing Member

checkmate

------------------

8. mav3434

mav3434 Member

"I say T-mo becuz it's short. I use VC for Vince Carter rather then "Air Canada." Get it ? Good. Now get out."

Wow what a great take, Romey.

I call all my friends dumb nicknames because they are short. I used to work in the white house. I called the president "BClin". I called Gore "Algo". Former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin? I called him "BRube". Madeline Albright was "Mal-B" And of course, who can forget the former press secretary, "J-Car". Man, that was phat when I used to talk like that.

------------------

9. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Hey Mav, why don't you go and fix your screenname, they're the Mavericks not the Mavs.

Exactly my point. It is a screen name. Not a nickname. When Maurice Taylor registers and begins posting under Mo-T, (just like jenifer lopez christened herself J-Lo) I will call him that.

------------------

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The mav board must be slow

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

11. mav3434

mav3434 Member

William Shakespeare? The Bard? or B-Shakes?

------------------

12. T-POOH

T-POOH Member

I always liked Two Live Pooh for Pooh Richardson. Where is Pooh anyway? Good Lord, my username now seems silly.

The Mav board IS slow. Trust me.

------------------
    RIP HOOP-T

[This message has been edited by T-POOH (edited July 09, 2001).]

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Thanks for the education. And to thank I was just about to call you MavT. Oh well I guess I will just have to stick with Mav Troll.

------------------

14. Mr. T

Mr. T Member

have "mav3434" you better stop talkin that jibba jabba -- before I throw you helluva far

http://www.geocities.com/zewango_2000/mrt4.jpg

------------------
    "I find that the harder I work... the more luck I have" -- Thomas Jefferson
    "Weezie !!" -- George Jefferson

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

"Mr. T's back, and I need work."

"Stay in milk, don't do school, and drink drugs, and you might get work."

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

16. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Once again my point is proven. Using internet BBS geek lingo is much more fitting for an internet geek, and I salute you.

Contrast this with Trey Wingo and Stu Scott, who sit around their 3-bed, 2-bath town homes outside Bristol, CT, waiting for their monthly issue of "VIBE" or "The SOURCE" so they can sound all hip hop and cool on the air when they talk about J-Dub, C-web, et. al., and they can fantasize about bling blinging in da Escalade wit Jay-Z at Club NY from their recliners in suburban Connecticut.

------------------

17. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Once again my point is proven. Using internet BBS geek lingo is much more fitting for an internet geek, and I salute you.

Contrast this with Trey Wingo and Stu Scott, who sit around their 3-bed, 2-bath town homes outside Bristol, CT, waiting for their monthly issue of "VIBE" or "The SOURCE" so they can sound all hip hop and cool on the air when they talk about J-Dub, C-web, et. al., and they can fantasize about bling blinging in da Escalade wit Jay-Z at Club NY from their recliners in suburban Connecticut.

------------------

18. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

does anyone really care???

[​IMG]

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

20. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Whats your point again???? I fell asleep reading this boring and pointless thread written by a freakin Dallas Mavericks fan. But thanks for coming out!!

------------------
    I stole your money and I did your daughter at Texas A&M University

[This message has been edited by Drewdog (edited July 09, 2001).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.