1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silas Improving….

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Silas has lots of flaws and I think it is close to 50/50 he is not back next season. Having said that, he is only part of the problem. He isn’t the one that traded for Schroeder and kept Gordon, Nwaba and Wood. He didn’t sign Theis or bring in an injured Oladipo. He didn’t draft Green.

I don’t even know how much control he has over his rotations and how much of it is Stone.

fattz, Jontro, clos4life and 7 others like this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

His ineptitude with regards to Sengun is down right criminal.

There is no rhyme or reason or even standard common sense with his decisions.

I do not enjoy Rockets basketball whatsoever with this clown in charge. Hindering the one thing the organisation is meant to be doing right now.

Jontro, clos4life, bmelo and 5 others like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

The organization as a whole is being poorly ran right now. There were warning signs dating back to last year, but at this point they are becoming a pattern.

There is no rhyme or reason to what the GM or coach does. They lose an epic number of games and trade with the Nets for future draft picks consistent with rebuilding. Yet they keep players like Gordon, Nwaba and Wood and trade for Schroeder.

The coach appears to be more concerned with winning games to salvage his reputation than he is with developing young players to win in the future. The GM is more concerned with telling everyone how great he is than doing his job.

The owner didn’t hire the most qualified or best GM candidate, instead he hired the one that kisses his ass and plays politics.

I am still trying to figure out what Silas is good at other than being a likable nice guy. He isn’t especially adept at developing young players. He isn’t terribly structured with a philosophy. He isn’t a leader as John Lucas is who steps forward when times are tough and leads. His rotations suck and he is bad at talent evaluation.

Showing up with a smile on your face and on time doesn’t make you a good NBA coach.

NIKEstrad, fattz, clos4life and 7 others like this.
  4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

His smile is all he’s got. Even Hollins ridiculed the players for helping the opponents up tonight. Coach’s nice disposition is wearing off on the team.

bj3175 likes this.
  5. bj3175

bj3175 Member

that got on my nerves. That shows you the coach's demeanor matters

D-rock and aaquaa like this.
  6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

7. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

What's more, I'm not really sold on the notion that he's a nice guy either.
    Those who avoid confrontation or cave under pressure are often mistaken for nice guys.
    It seems to me that he has a hidden agenda and a secret little black book in which there are notes, stars, check marks, crosses for everybody.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why not just fire Silas then and replace him with an existing assistant? Not going to be great energy having a guy there who is not bought in on the development strategy. Won't cost them much if anything.

Sounds like the new staff hates being here as much as the old staff hated it. Which means there's a constant source of shittiness in the organization above their heads. Which makes sense from what we know.

aaquaa and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are so much nicer than I am.

:D

10. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amazing folks in the internet think they know more than Steph Curry and Luka both who credit Silas with helping their development.

Silas knows the Rockets can’t win more than 5-6 more games this season if they want a top 3 pick …it’s been made clear by Tilman and Stone that above all else that’s most important to the franchise.

Calm down…and stop crying about Sengun… it was a back to back game and he has conditioning isn’t the greatest and he’s catching a redeye for All Star weekend….

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Silas' rotation and usage of the rookies makes a bit more sense if you approach it from the perspective that he plays them because he has to, not because he wants to.

Christopher and Sengun are both less expensive investments because they are non-lottery picks, so giving them inconsistent or low minutes is more acceptable. Green is a 2nd pick in the worse team in the conference, so it's hard to justify giving him only 15-20 minutes a game, but it would also explain why Green takes on a corner role in the lineup and doesn't get a lot of touches.

Not sure if this is a Silas or Stone issue, but it's somewhat clear that the only young player that has any kind of developmental focus is KPJ.

12. Sengun

Sengun Member

Wait what? Are you saying that the player you give two FRPs to pick him from the 16th place is "less expensive"?

I think Sengun was definitely one of the most "expensive" players in that draft.

aaquaa likes this.
  13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Those two FRPs are the two least valuable picks that the Rockets had on hand due to how heavy the protection is. The Detroit pick is heavily protected and even if it does convert, it'll at best be a 19th pick in 3-4 years time. It only starts becoming less protected in 2026 and 2027, but it would still be top 11 and top 9 protected then (otherwise it becomes a 2nd rounder). If Detroit is still a bad team by then, which is a possibility, then this was essentially useless pick.

The Wizard pick is only a bit better, the highest possible positions that it can convert at is 15, 13, 11 and 9 in the next 4 years, but otherwise becomes another second rounder.

These two picks are at best mid-late first rounders in 4-5 years time, or at worse 2nd rounders. This isn't exactly a heavy investment, since Thunder is gambling that these teams will be middle tier in 4-5 years time so they get two mid first round picks, whilst Rocket simply took the guaranteed mid-first rounder instead.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

It would make you a pretty good auto insurance salesman, though!

GEICO: save 50% or more on car insurance.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Silas may very well become a good/great coach one day. Still, I’m not sure his demeanor would back that claim. As of right now, to me, he’d be a great top assistant working on the offensive side of the ball. I’m not sure he has the right fire to get the most out of players. I’ve also seen very little on what he brings to the table defensively.

16. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Idk I feel like Bickerstaff got a lot of hate too but he looks to be doing great with his current team in Cleveland.

I don't think this is Silas's intended offense and more so an experimental year. But I absolutely know nothing lol this is just what I hope.

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

As Nook put it, the problem is organizational alignment.

With JH13/Morey, every move was to build around James and play with a certain style.

There is no consistency right now in what we are doing. We may luck out over the course of the process but I still fail to see any alignment in these moves.

18. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

It's because we don't have a franchise player

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We don't have a plan. If u r tanking, u r getting rid of the selfish vets to develop the rookies. We benched, Wall cause of his selfish play but kept wood, house, Gordon at the beginning of the season.

Our coach seems to not want to tank to ruin his rep plays heavy mins with vets and little to rookies and lose regardless. Offense looks awful under the kpj point guard experiment, defense looks even worse.

Our gm trades for Schroder?

It's Iike the franchise half ass a project, than starts a new one. Going all over the place.

We have flashes of greatness aka suns game and then we have games where we get ass blasted.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think they’re pretty consistent. They’re consistent just sucks.

This is Wood and KPJs team this year. They’ve gotten tons of rope to go out there and play their games. When they play, everyone else kinda fits in where they get in and adjusts their game to them.